Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526059 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1425 on: 01 July, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »
 ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1426 on: 05 July, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »
But I think it is not poisonous like the UK meths :)

Like that's ever stopped Oaky.

I'm saying nothing  ;D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1427 on: 05 July, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »
BTW - has anyone else noticed that huggy's R&R route profile on the AUK site looks like that woman off the stamps?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1428 on: 06 July, 2016, 07:28:49 am »
BTW - has anyone else noticed that huggy's R&R route profile on the AUK site looks like that woman off the stamps?
Do you think I could squeeze another 'R' in there for Essex Royal Reservoirs and Rivers?  Essex RR&R??
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1429 on: 07 July, 2016, 11:54:35 am »
ACME made its annual visit to the Chelmsford Beer and Cider Festival last night.

Tippers, Tomsk, the Gear Whisperer, Hotblack, Jiber, Mrs Jiber, Oaky, Huggy, OD and I all made it there by various means.  Notably, OD managed to ride Penelope there all the way from Witham, with a chair ! Oaky arrived by beer scooter and several members walked from the station. 

I have to confess to feeling used and dirty this morning.  I may have been led astray or it may have been the excitement of the lights, the music and the ale but I have no real excuse for my actions.  Yes, I took the train part of the way home.  I tried to make up for it by getting off a stop early to make the ride home a bit longer but I don't think that absolves me of blame, particularly as I still managed to beat the streetlight switch off by almost 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, Tomsk, the Gear Whisperer and Huggy all managed to get there and back by bike.  The rest of us need a long hard look at ourselves.

Beer Festival rules applied so there was no real structure to our sampling and hence no Quaffers' Choice award was made on the night.  Jiber and Hotblack were taking a very technical approach with lists of beer and long debates about what to try next.  The rest of us just took pot luck.

Talk was of Huggy's excellent work on the routesheets for his August rides and plans for Hereward.

Next week will hopefully see us in our dress cleats and lycra blazers for our yacht club visit.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #1430 on: 07 July, 2016, 12:17:07 pm »
... and plans for Hereward.

Who has entered then? I was thinking about it, but was unsure. If there's going to be an ACME peloton, I better enter!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1431 on: 07 July, 2016, 12:29:32 pm »
I'm in, as is Andy I believe...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1432 on: 07 July, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »
I'm in, as is Andy I believe...  :thumbsup:

Right, I've just entered  :)

Hopefully the weather will be like last year - monster tailwind heading north, dying down at night without getting cold at all, followed by glorious morning sunshine  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1433 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:42:03 pm »
That sounds far better than the wet (but warm) slog Nik was describing to me last night... lets go for your version :D  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1434 on: 07 July, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »
  Meanwhile, Tomsk, the Gear Whisperer and Huggy all managed to get there and back by bike.  The rest of us need a long hard look at ourselves.
cough cough.....and me....on my 1x7 commuter with teeth missing on the front chain ring. And I was pissed enough to go all the way along the A12 bike path to Kelvedon and I managed a PR between Kelvedon and Tiptree.....I don't even really remember riding!

I am in for Hereward....unsure of just what my plan is. Good weather might have me trying to stick to a faster schedule with short stops on the Trek. Bad weather might see me on the Fixed.....My fast strategy might well end up being a not so fast strategy but I want to see where I am for the Flatlands in 30 hours plan.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1435 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:00:33 pm »
Unfortunately I missed you all at the Chelmo beer fest last night but I'll be there on Friday evening, hope to see some repeat offenders, jiber? ted?

I'm  so ashamed of myself quitting King of the Saxons just 'cos it was night time, so I've entered Hereward. Can't wait :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1436 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:24:43 pm »
Yesterday evening we rode past the infamous Red Beret in Melbourne, it didn't look too bad but given we had a date with a beer festival I resisted the temptation to pop my head round the door.  Mind you, it would appear The RB's reputation is well deserved  :o  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1437 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:29:31 pm »
Unfortunately I missed you all at the Chelmo beer fest last night but I'll be there on Friday evening, hope to see some repeat offenders, jiber? ted?

I'm  so ashamed of myself quitting King of the Saxons just 'cos it was night time, so I've entered Hereward. Can't wait :facepalm:

Maybe - though I might be there tonight and Saturday.... will see how it goes :)
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1438 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:34:39 pm »
Yesterday evening we rode past the infamous Red Beret in Melbourne, it didn't look too bad but given we had a date with a beer festival I resisted the temptation to pop my head round the door.  Mind you, it would appear The RB's reputation is well deserved  :o  ;D

It's a bit tamer than when I were a lad. There's hardly a death or even a stabbing there these days.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1439 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:37:53 pm »

Maybe - though I might be there tonight and Saturday.... will see how it goes :)

I'm sure they'll let you sleep over jiber ;D

« Reply #1440 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »

It's a bit tamer than when I were a lad. There's hardly a death or even a stabbing there these days.

I suppose back then there was trouble with people returning from WW1.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1441 on: 07 July, 2016, 05:45:54 pm »

I suppose back then there was trouble with people returning from WW1.

Boer war actually

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1442 on: 07 July, 2016, 06:15:42 pm »
So far the Mid-Essex Hereward Peloton is, in no particular order: Tippers, AndyC33, Carlosfandango, bobb, jibberjaber...

Also some of the usual East Anglian suspects: Big Saxon, Wilkyboy [on fixed no doubt], Bernster, fidgetbuzz.

We've got some nervous first-timers at the distance/over-night thing. Be gentle with them.  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1443 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:23:09 am »
Heads up chaps and chapesses,
Open the spoiler link for details of a Velodrome session on Wednesday 3rd August from 8pm, get in quick if you're interested this time because I am going to cap the maximum number of riders to 15 unless I get lots of interest very quickly to make it worthwhile booking a 2nd instructor, if that is even possible with the lead time.

(click to show/hide)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1444 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:26:50 am »
£32 sent  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1445 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:30:34 am »
£32 also sent  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1446 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:36:28 am »
ditto

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1447 on: 08 July, 2016, 10:44:31 am »
ok ok, no need to jump that quickly  :thumbsup:

ETA:  Booking form returned to the Velodrome.

« Reply #1448 on: 11 July, 2016, 04:22:09 pm »
I had a cracking weekend of bike stuff and family stuff.

The littlest Tippers managed the ride out to Wivenhoe on Saturday which was a great adventure. It included a completely overgrown NCN path (between Birch and Olivers Lane) which resulted in us both having several nettle stings. We chilled by the river for a few minutes and applied dock leaves and cold water to the stings before she had a go on the swing hanging from the tree.

The NCN through Colchester was brilliant in most cases, there was some mild panic from me when I realised that going down a hill A was struggling to brake.....lucking there was a nice gate to stop progress on that occasion. We stopped at Castle Park for an ice cream by the boating lake before following the Wivenhoe trail all the way to the Quay in Wivenhoe. It was the Wivenhoe Regatta so the place was very busy and there were shopping opportunities much to A's delight!

A train home and then a ride from Kelvedon to Tiptree via Highfields lane all done with no complaints. She even made it up the steeper side of Windmill will without even being in her bottom gear, I was well impressed with that.

Yesterday was my attempt at putting together a gravel route. Very enjoyable but there was a lot of grass, a few more nettle stings and some mud. Loved it though and will likely leave the big tyres on the Croix de Fer for the rest of the summer. 60km with a fair bit of off road made for a good work out!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1449 on: 11 July, 2016, 07:42:07 pm »
I had a cracking weekend of bike stuff and family stuff.

Chapeau to the Littlest Tippers :thumbsup: A proper adventure and the Wivenhoe Regatta to top it off too!