Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526085 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1450 on: 11 July, 2016, 08:30:42 pm »
Chapeau indeed.

We may have another member of the ACME youth wing, I am collecting the youngest shredette's new (old) bike on Thursday  :thumbsup:

Hopefully they can have jerseys too in time.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1451 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:56:36 am »
Simply this
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1452 on: 14 July, 2016, 09:49:57 am »
As the architect of yesterday's carefully crafted route, I felt beholden to make the effort to ride the whole route (Note to OD:  this is how it is supposed to work when you provide a route).  This meant leaving home early to ride the first half of the route to be at Spa for 7.30.  Unbeknown to me, this forum was ablaze with people pulling out of said route while I plodded my way across to Witham. 

In the end, only Hotblack turned up at Spa and a welcome sight he was too.  At least he was a welcome sight until I noticed he was astride his carbon-wheeled and tubular-shod Bianchi with the titanium skewers.  We shot off at a moderate pace and picked up Tomsk and Henry VIII between Feering and Messing.  It took me a while to realise that the legend was using gears (I think it was the rear derailleur that gave it away eventually).  Moreover, good King Henry was on his carbon racing machine.  That meant it was me and three of the big beasts of ACME, who all looked like they meant business.  There was only one thing for it, I sprinted to the front, mumbled something about a change of route and then gradually slowed the pace down to one I could actually cope with.  I could almost feel the frustration behind me as the mini-peleton tried to unleash itself on the lanes of mid-Essex.  It was a swift ride to Mersea but an enjoyable one in near perfect conditions.

For the second year running we were not able to go aboard for cocktails. An unfortunate combination of holiday leave and illness had meant that only the assistant under-chef was available in the galley and it just didn't seem appropriate to offer the legend any less than the full hospitality experience.  We therefore made our way straight to the yacht club.  There is a limited selection of ales at the club but there is always Adnams and a guest bitter on.  The guest bitter, Paradise Found by Mighty Oak, proved to be a decent selection and would probably have taken the Quaffer's Choice on any other night.

The conversation spanned the usual erudite range of topics and all too soon I waved goodbye to the three musketeers as they set off back to the mainland.

« Reply #1453 on: 14 July, 2016, 10:48:51 am »
Indeed the pace was high last night. I had always wondered how it would be drinking water on a MEMWNS and it was actually pretty good, it sure helped with the trip home!

The Trek shod with the Schwalbe S-Ones was a VERY nice ride indeed......I am really looking forward to the weekend now!

« Reply #1454 on: 14 July, 2016, 10:52:12 am »
I liked the look of the S Ones as a potential winter tyre for the fixed machine.  If I could squeeze 30mm in instead of the current 28mm then all the better.

I didn't mention your water drinking antics thinking some things should stay in ACME.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1455 on: 14 July, 2016, 11:28:58 am »
So was the Quaffffffers' choice water, then?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1456 on: 14 July, 2016, 11:51:48 am »
I liked the look of the S Ones as a potential winter tyre for the fixed machine.  If I could squeeze 30mm in instead of the current 28mm then all the better.

Yep, they are lovely and I am running them Tubed. I was at 80 PSI last night and suspect I could go 10 lower and still be pretty much good. I might look into another set to switch the Croix back to road....tubeless :facepalm:

I didn't mention your water drinking antics thinking some things should stay in ACME.

Edit.....I wouldn't give the water the Quaffers choice though....I felt quite sad looking at the beer and not being able to have any.
I'm not ashamed....much. Like not riding fixed this Friday I will not be swayed by peer pressure....much.

The gout REALLY hurts and I did my first Hereward at the end of a bout of it, that was not a lot of fun. Along with that I am trying to drop some KG's (I have plenty to drop) to assist with my attempt at a more 'efficient' Flatlands.

« Reply #1457 on: 19 July, 2016, 01:21:35 pm »
I wonder if the Croix with the 40mm tyres would be able to handle the London to Brighton offroad ride.....I think this might need some investigation!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1458 on: 19 July, 2016, 03:30:46 pm »
Gives I did the coasts and Castles on 35mm cyclecross loaded I should think it will cope with ease!

Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1459 on: 19 July, 2016, 03:45:02 pm »
Are you trying to catch tippers by surprise with that last pic?

« Reply #1460 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »
hehe....Sheeeeeeeep  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1461 on: 19 July, 2016, 05:59:14 pm »
We did quite a lot of fully loaded Up North Tour off road too  :facepalm:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1462 on: 21 July, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
Well we made it at last! Met tippers at the Beehive in Lt Horkesley [ a proper local pub for local people]; eventually tedshred and then shortly afterwards the fragmented Witham Peloton arrived. A short run downhill and 'ower the Stower' [passport wasn't checked!] to a surprisingly busy 'Anchor'* where our man tippers re-arranged the furniture and we managed to stay outside all evening without a) donating blood to the local mozzies, and b] getting cold, despite a clear sky [and great full moon for the ride home].

* Last time I went there, before the A&S in June it was very quiet for a Friday night.

Carlosfandango and jiberjaber came by support vehicle and brought Significant-Others to keep an eye on them...A wide variety of ales of Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex were consumed, [I rather lost track of everyone's choices, though I couldn't help noticing some were going for fruit based drinks]]. My first pint at the Beehive [Mauldon's 'Mole Trap'] was excellent, after that at the Anchor I stuck with Maldon Gold. Suffolk ale in Essex, vice versa across the border  ::-)

29 miles out, 33 back on the easier night-nav route - 10 miles less than last week going overseas to Mersea!

In other news I have just got a little extra part-time job as a cycle-tour guide for an American company, International Bicycle Tours, starting this August with a 10 day tour in the Cotswolds and points west: History, culture, art history, architecture...and cycling. Made for me! :) The first one is a training exercise on half-pay, but they stay in some cracking hotels and pack a lot of things into the day. [Something like 7am - 11pm, I'm led to believe...]

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1463 on: 21 July, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Great news on the new job, sounds perfect!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1464 on: 21 July, 2016, 10:51:25 am »
Twas indeed a braw, bricht, moonlicht nicht when we went forrin.

I left late so missed my rendezvous with Tippers but caught him and Tomsk at the Beehive (having also got lost on my own route  :facepalm:) just in time for the main Witham peloton of the Hustler, Huggy, GavinSSN, Oaky and Luminous Steve to make their arrival.

I am not sure about our new motorised wing.  Mr and Mrs Fandango looked particularly shamefaced as they tried to appear inconspicuous leaving the pub in a stretch limousine.  The Jibers, meanwhile, were polishing off another of their many meals out.  Quite why it had been served on wooden chopping boards only the Anchor can answer.

There is not much to add to Tomsk's report of the pub other than that the Quaffers' Choice went to Bishop Nick's Heresy.  We did have a couple of rebel cider drinkers last night but at least they behaved themselves this time. 

Tomsk, inevitably, had the longest ride of the night.  Most of the rest of us were around the 65/70k mark, which is probably plenty for a school night.  It was, however, glorious to be able to ride to Suffolk in daylight and then ride home still in shorts, short sleeves and sandals.  These sort of conditions are just so enjoyable compared to some of the weather we put up with in the winter months.  As a bit of a footnote, I saw at least half a dozen other people on bikes as I cycled through Colchester just shy of midnight.  Perhaps it is catching.

Going forrin has been oft talked about but never actually managed in my time.  The nearest we got was the night that the Hustler's Giant decided to suicide itself near Great Yeldham.  Who knows, by next year there may no longer be open borders and the barbed wire and customs posts might have been re-installed.  Maybe we should try Bures before the Summer is up.

Next week we are heading west to Aythorpe Roding.  I might put in a bid for Rowhedge or Tollesbury after that.  It is seaside weather after all.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1465 on: 21 July, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »
If we're putting summer evening longer ride destinations in to the suggestion box, I noticed the Henny Swan which the Essex R&R passes by. A similar distance if not a little shorter than the Anchor in Nayland.  It's also a nice riverside location for a balmy evening  8)

« Reply #1466 on: 21 July, 2016, 07:33:49 pm »
I recall that OD made a solo memwns visit there a few months ago. If he comes he can preside over Tippers' ungentlemanly conduct hearing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1467 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:15:42 pm »
OD did indeed visit my then local, and Tracey and James would love to host an ACME visit. I'm now over the border, and shortly moving a little further into Suffolk, but I was there last night and a very pleasant evening it was. Do visit  - it is actually in Essex (by 10 metres!).

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1468 on: 27 July, 2016, 01:29:47 pm »
One more call for the Velodrome trip a week from today, if you're at all interested then please let me know asap.

Ok, so here's the thing...I've received the invoice for the Velodrome trip on the 3rd Aug and I've been invoiced for 2 instructors although I only requested one on the booking form.  Now this means that I either need to have a discussion with them about taking off the 2nd instructor or have 20+ places sold to make it worthwhile keeping the 2nd.  So far I have 12 confirmed reservations and not all of the usual suspects OTP have expressed an interest.
I have OD, Oaky, bobb, Warrior Princess, Secret Squirrel Gavin, DL & friends, some from WC, and mini Huggy.  There will be a mix of abilities in a group of 15 or two groups of another number so don't be afraid to come along, experienced or not :)

Heads up chaps and chapesses,
Open the spoiler link for details of a Velodrome session on Wednesday 3rd August from 8pm, get in quick if you're interested this time because I am going to cap the maximum number of riders to 15 unless I get lots of interest very quickly to make it worthwhile booking a 2nd instructor, if that is even possible with the lead time.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1469 on: 28 July, 2016, 08:31:12 am »
Yesterday evening's edition had the lot; (mainly) dry weather, new pub, decent turn out, good route and much fun.  Whether any of this can be credited to the return of OD, ACME's own merry prankster, is for others to judge.

I arrived at Spa to find OD, Huggy and Oaky looking frisky and ready to smash it to the pub.  Fred was in light mode and Oaky was on his stealth bike so it was going to be quick for my tired legs.

We soon arrived at the spiritual home to find Tomsk, Soupy and Psyclist already tucking in to energy drinks.  We all went for a Golden Bolt (an ale not a euphemism for a hedge stop).

It was a summer-paced ride over to the Axe & Compasses with the inevitable Oaky break away occurring as soon as he could smell the beer.

The Axe was a decent place with a reasonable selection.  We sampled Jack Spitty, Ghost Ship, Broadside and a bit of Doombar (got to get those Untappd badges).  Jack Spitty took the Quaffers' Choice.

OD meanwhile had fallen into conversation with a young couple trying to enjoy a meal. It seems they were not receptive to his offer of romantic advice or, indeed, his suggestion that we would enjoy being part of a marriage proposal.  They left shortly after he started talking to them, leaving half eaten main courses as they fled.  The fact they were apparently brother and sister may have added to their discomfort. 

By this time Jiber and Mrs J had appeared from their private dining area.  OD soon latched onto Mrs J, giving her a fascinating insight into MEMWNS and the workings of his unique mind. We await to see if Jiber is ever allowed out with us again.

It made a pleasant change for Tomsk to have the short ride home.  He and Soupy set off on some sort of two man time trial looking as if they meant business.  We were soon trying to keep up with Oaky and OD who had similar ideas.  Luckily I had the privilege of being able to wheel suck the Hustler all the way back to Spa. Once again, it felt like we were going downhill the whole way back.  In a final flourish and within sight of home, OD suddenly veered off the road for a literal hedge stop. Sadly nobody was quick enough with a camera to catch the tangled mass of legs and bike in the ditch.

It's the velodrome next week and then we will be well into the summer.  Hopefully there are a few more short sleeved nights to come before we are into autumn mode.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1470 on: 28 July, 2016, 08:47:47 am »
Good write up as always ted, how's "The Jolly Japes of the MEMWNS and ACME" (a book wot he wrote to be serialised in Ferret Wranglers Monthly) coming along?

My left shoulder really hurts, I don't think I've broken anything (and Fred's OK) so hopefully I will mend soon. 

If veering into the grass verge wasn't stupid enough I woke up this morning to find I'd left the up and over garage door open all night  ::-)  Mercifully no passing scrote accepted my invitation to help themselves to the contents of the garage and my office.  The next time we're in a pub can someone remind me 4 pints isn't a good idea  :hand: #whatatwatIam

Anyhow, despite my stupidity, I thought last night was excellent, thanks to you all for your company  :-*

« Reply #1471 on: 28 July, 2016, 10:50:48 am »
Mini Tippers was very impressed my Ted's prowess on the bike last night....she didn't even notice the footwear, thank goodness....not sure how I would have explained that.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1472 on: 28 July, 2016, 11:20:51 am »
It was a summer-paced ride over to the Axe & Compasses with the inevitable Oaky break away occurring as soon as he could smell the beer.

Even had time to sit up and zip my jersey up to show the sponsor's logo as I crossed the line!

In a final flourish and within sight of home, OD suddenly veered off the road for a literal hedge stop.

Was he swerving to avoid a giant steaming pile of tarmac?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1473 on: 28 July, 2016, 11:26:12 am »

Even had time to sit up and zip my jersey up to show the sponsor's logo as I crossed the line!

In a final flourish and within sight of home, OD suddenly veered off the road for a literal hedge stop.
Was he swerving to avoid a giant steaming pile of tarmac?

I wish I was as past experience has shown that piles of tarmac provide a much softer landing.  A momentary lapse in concentration, possibly induced by that pesky 4th pint, saw me heading for the verge and once said verge had me in its grasp there was no escape, what happened next was inevitable - ouch!  ::-)

« Reply #1474 on: 28 July, 2016, 11:35:10 am »
how's "The Jolly Japes of the MEMWNS and ACME" (a book wot he wrote to be serialised in Ferret Wranglers Monthly) coming along?

This is being held up a bit while we negotiate the film rights and deal with some casting issues.  We did have Barry Chuckle on board to play you but now Paul has thrown his hat in the ring as he doesn't want to miss out on what he describes as "the part of a lifetime".  He is even willing to shave off his moustache apparently.  As soon as the brothers sort it out we can move on with casting other roles.