Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526078 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1725 on: 17 October, 2016, 05:18:14 pm »
For anyone attending the Ned Boulting Bikeology evening of culture this Thursday, my plan is to catch the 18:16 train from Witham to the Chelmo Metroplis and proceed to the Ale House in the bus station. A couple of refreshing beverages will be in order after such an arduous journey.  Then drag myself and everyone else away kicking and screaming to the Civic Theatre at about 7:20-ish.  My intended route is almost certainly to be exactly like this :)  it may well be similar on the way back too.
I have tickets to hand out to Jen M, Carlos (x2), Bloomers (x2) and Steve G.  Everyone else remember to bring yours if you can find where you filed them.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1726 on: 17 October, 2016, 06:13:50 pm »
As ever, a well thought out plan. I shall drive and see you in the Ale House. Looking forward to it.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1727 on: 17 October, 2016, 07:17:30 pm »
Soupy will have to be driven...we'll maybe see you at the Ale House before & after as well??

« Reply #1728 on: 18 October, 2016, 02:54:20 pm »
In my stupid bid to complete an AAA SR I have signed up for

The Heartbeat 400  - 6th May (Same weekend as the G&Y Fields)
The 3 Coasts 600 - 17th June

Just thought I would put them out there in case anyone else from the Flatlands fancies a bit more up and down before LEL.

I am potentially up for the 3 Coasts or its cousin if somebody slower than Tippers is heading up as well.

Also tempted by the National 400.

It's also about time the ACME golf society arranged another outing.  I am currently full of enthusiasm for golf.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1729 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:32:42 am »
For anyone attending the Ned Boulting Bikeology evening of culture this Thursday, my plan is to catch the 18:16 train from Witham to the Chelmo Metroplis and proceed to the Ale House in the bus station.

I'm going to probably head for the same train.

On the off-chance I'm running early, was anyone else intending to be at the Ale House before 6:30-ish?

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1730 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:55:53 am »
Never mind this evening, I'm looking forward to The Bard's account of last night.

« Reply #1731 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:00:14 am »
I am potentially up for the 3 Coasts or its cousin if somebody slower than Tippers is heading up as well.

I might be up for that. Myself, Huggy and Carlos have unfinished business with the 3 coasts!

It's also about time the ACME golf society arranged another outing.  I am currently full of enthusiasm for golf.

Definitely! Any thoughts on where and when?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1732 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:35:14 am »
Forward planning is dead. Long live winging it  :thumbsup:

Last night, in clear and flagrant breach of OD's diktat, we went to the other spiritual home instead of the Crown at Messing.

Jiber and I struggled through the wind from our respective lairs while Huggy and the Hustler popped up Blue Mills and into the pub  :P

We sampled Admiral by Farmers, Ptipsy Ptarmigan by Wibblers and Sombrero by Elephant Brewing.  Sombrero narrowly took the Quaffers' Choice. 

At a gathering of such intellectual giants it was inevitable that talk was of serious matters; the presidential debates, the Hustler's H Plan diet, how to carry a golf umbrella on a bike and Grant's gloves were just some of the topics that were covered in a wide-ranging and lively debate - it's amazing how the conversation improves without the merry prankster on hand to divert us. 

After staying for one for the road, we all headed off into the night; Jiber and I on our long rides home and the other two back down the hill to Witham.

Who knows where the peloton will wind up next week...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1733 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:45:33 am »
It's worth noting that Messing's Crown was suggested as it is local to Mersea Island  ::-)

One of the features of Forward Planning is that everyone gets a local pub every now and then. I didn't just pick pubs randomly, there is method and not much madness. 

« Reply #1734 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:57:08 am »
There is certainly madness  ;D

Messing would have been ideal for me but I could not make poor old Jiber cycle all that way in a north westerly.

I might be up for that. Myself, Huggy and Carlos have unfinished business with the 3 coasts!

Definitely! Any thoughts on where and when?

A potential ACME trip oop north then  :thumbsup:  Tomsk will probably ride up there as he will feel that it's handy for Dunmow  :P

The weekend after next has golf potential.  I have re-joined 5 Lakes so I nominate there (I may have a couple of free passes).

« Reply #1735 on: 20 October, 2016, 11:22:47 am »
The weekend after next has golf potential.  I have re-joined 5 Lakes so I nominate there (I may have a couple of free passes).

As in the 29th/30th? If so, I am around that weekend 😊

« Reply #1736 on: 20 October, 2016, 12:53:57 pm »
As in that weekend, yes.

Hopefully our colonial chum can join in as well.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1737 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:07:52 pm »
Oh dear. At some point in the not too distant future you might find me astride a different bicycle.

« Reply #1738 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:17:49 pm »
What have you done ? :o

« Reply #1739 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:26:18 pm »
I bet it's a COR munching beast!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1740 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:30:33 pm »
I bet it's a COR munching beast!

Quite the reverse. 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1741 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:35:57 pm »
Son of Oscar the Ribble is moving on  :'(

I have purchased a lightweight steel frame built by TJ Quick in 1991 and it being reborn to my specifications by Torslanda of this parish.   

It'll need a name. It's grey so perhaps Dakota although I'm not sure how many shades it is.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1742 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:38:38 pm »
Handbuilt to order in 1991. 60cm, 653 lugged, gunmetal grey, clearance for 25 and guards. Stronglight headset, English threads. Lovely drop crown fork. Very light.  Plus a beautiful pair of Ambrosio Evolution on polished Ambrosio 8/9/10 hubs with butted Sapim spokes.

« Reply #1743 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:38:58 pm »
We'll miss you at the back  :(

Sounds like a very lovely thing.

Slightly disappointed that you're not letting me do the build though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1744 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »
I'm not letting me do the build so you've no chance :P

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1745 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:48:07 pm »

Just thought I would put them out there in case anyone else from the Flatlands fancies a bit more up and down before LEL.

I currently have both the 3 Coasts and the Pendle 600 in the diary for next year, but it's most definitely an either / or decision that will be made in January, if I also decide to ride LEL.  3C appears to be the "easier" of the two, and takes me into some of the lands of my youth, but the Pendle looks to be one of those "must do" rides and using it as a penultimate prep ride for the big one kills two birds with one stone.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #1746 on: 20 October, 2016, 03:12:19 pm »

I currently have both the 3 Coasts and the Pendle 600 in the diary for next year, but it's most definitely an either / or decision that will be made in January, if I also decide to ride LEL.  3C appears to be the "easier" of the two, and takes me into some of the lands of my youth, but the Pendle looks to be one of those "must do" rides and using it as a penultimate prep ride for the big one kills two birds with one stone.
Agreed. Having done the BCM twice I quite fancied a different AAA 600 and this one pre LEL fitted well. It's got AAA but not too much so I suspect its some brutal climbing for a portion of the ride. (and I don't expect the flatlands either side of it).

I love the look of the Pendle but looking at the details, profiles, reviews and videos (not in loads of detail) I figured the Heartbeat 400 was a good test to see if the Pendle was going to be doable in a later edition.

I like the fact the 200 and 300 AAA can be done much closer to home with the Shark and Oasts and Coasts...fantastic.

« Reply #1747 on: 20 October, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »
Handbuilt to order in 1991. 60cm, 653 lugged, gunmetal grey, clearance for 25 and guards. Stronglight headset, English threads. Lovely drop crown fork. Very light.  Plus a beautiful pair of Ambrosio Evolution on polished Ambrosio 8/9/10 hubs with butted Sapim spokes.
:thumbsup: oooooohhhhhh nice.

« Reply #1748 on: 20 October, 2016, 03:26:18 pm »

Sounds like the sort of thing that needs period Campag all over it  :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1749 on: 20 October, 2016, 03:29:46 pm »

Sounds like the sort of thing that needs period Campag all over it  :P

That would be nice if I had the budget, perhaps in the future. For the moment it will have  modern SRAM as I have never used their kit.