Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526132 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1900 on: 01 December, 2016, 10:50:08 am »
It was a reduced peloton that carefully picked its way through the frozen roads of Mid-Essex to our other spiritual home.  Jiber, Tippers, the Gear Whisperer and I did our best in the absence of any of the elders.

I arrived to find the other three whispering quietly in the corner.  We had turned up on pub quiz night and there was a serious team next to us.  Of course, a pint or so later and we were so loud they were having to ask for questions to be read out again  :thumbsup:  Unfortunately they still won.  Mind you having listened to some of the questions, I think a team of trained ODs would have won.

We sampled Wibblers Apprentice, Colchester's Day of the Triffids and Ptipsy Ptarmingan.  Apprentice took the Quaffers' Choice. We also had an excellent example of instant karma;  Jiber and Tippers were their usual thirsty selves and were badgering the poor gear whisperer for their next ale before he had finished his current one.  Thus it was that Jiber and Tippers ended up being first to take large mouthfuls of the Farmer's Ales Much Abrew About Nothing which was severely off.  How the GW and I laughed  ;D

In between my homey Jibers and I annoying the GW with our cap japery, we also bored him rigid talking about fixed gear inches, fixed cranks, fixed mudguard arrangements, fixed frames...  I am surprised he managed to stay awake.

Even with one for the road we were all too soon heading out the door into the open air freezer.  My Garmin read -2 by this time so it was a swift pedal home.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1901 on: 01 December, 2016, 10:56:06 am »
With just over a month to go it's time to turn your attention to the Velodrome trip on January 5th starting at 8pm. Need to start asking for money and finalising numbers to see if we need a second instructor.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1228170870574362/1281543261903789/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1480588937859807
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1902 on: 01 December, 2016, 12:27:54 pm »
I'd agree, it just needs to be wired in parallel. I think I am going to solder a run of wire onto the one that currently goes to my rear lights and run it up under the seat. I will then add some of THESE which Wilkyboy recommended under the saddle so I can easily remove the unit if I don't need to carry it. The Igaro can then sit in my Carradice charging the battery pack and it will mean I don't have to be carrying the Bar Bag all the time.

Wow - that's expensive, I could sell you a pair for half that price and still be making a big profit!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hardware-accessories-1/wires-connectors/battery-esc-motor/bullet.html

(let me know what size you are looking for, I may already have some)

Another alternative is JST connectors (of which I also have loads!) advantage here is they are polarized - so no need for labeling them

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-male-2-pin-connector-set-10pcs-set.html

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1903 on: 01 December, 2016, 02:32:31 pm »
Thanks Tippers and Jibers for your thoughts. I like the option to charge at the rear of the bike, and those connectors do look like a good idea. Maybe I should consider the rear light option again. Hopefully I'll see you on Saturday, and see how you've done your wiring.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1904 on: 02 December, 2016, 09:11:40 am »
I call upon ye geeks here present.

What is the ultimate dynamo set up and where do I buy one from.

I like marathon 25s and I'd like a bright light and to charge my iphone 6s?

Cheers, hit me up

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1905 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:20:26 am »
I call upon ye geeks here present.

I like marathon 25s and I'd like a bright light and to charge my iphone 6s?

Cheers, hit me up

One of the Igaro jobbies mentioned upthread and a B&M IQ-X front light.

« Reply #1906 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:25:57 am »
Much more experienced folk here than I but for the record my set up, which I am so far very happy with is....

SP Dynamo Hub (PD8) - Built by Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic in Glemsford (Suffolk)
B&M IQ-X front light (The new 100 lux light nice and bright but not too bright)
B&M Secula rear light (Mudguard Mount)

The issue with that set up is that it has no charging option from the light hence I have been looking at the Igaro D1 mentioned up thread. I chose the IQ-X as I thought the Luxos was a bit of a big unit (much like myself) and I fancied something a little more compact. I had also heard a few people had issues with the Luxos charging set up, although I believe this has been addressed in newer models.

edit:  and I didn't like the remote switch and associated cables on the front of me bike

I intend to have the Igaro set up to charge things in my Saddlebag, I see now that it needs to be mounted in fresh air so I will sort something out where it can be on the seatpost and the cable will go into the bag I reckon.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1907 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:29:19 am »
Son dynamo £200 to £300 according to disc or rim brake, shutter precision just above £100, Shimano under £100, all good. Get one built into a wheel or off the peg see Spa cycles for options. B and M Luxos front light with charging lead.

I haven't got an I phone but they might be finicky about charging from a dynamo,  it might be better to charge your phone from a battery pack and then charge the battery pack with the dynamo.

I expect others with more knowledge and better solutions will be along soon.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1908 on: 02 December, 2016, 10:43:59 am »
Talking of reliability, wasn't it OD that turned his bike upside down, washed it with a hosepipe and filled his light with water? :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1909 on: 02 December, 2016, 11:11:52 am »
Talking of reliability, wasn't it OD that turned his bike upside down, washed it with a hosepipe and filled his light with water? :facepalm:

Yes that was me. Fuckwit.

I have had 4 Luxos. The first is still going strong, it was on the Ribble and is now in the spares box. The second was fitted to Fred and went tits up, don't know why. The third was a warranty replacement for the second and was fine until I got it wet with a hose pipe. I bought the 4th to replace the third and so far it's fine.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1910 on: 02 December, 2016, 12:02:18 pm »
Don`t put yourself down OD, you`re great as you are. Just a bit of matchmaking, do you wanna sell your spare to Bloomers?

« Reply #1911 on: 02 December, 2016, 12:12:01 pm »

I did a fair bit of research on this, but have yet to connect it all together, apart from the wheel being on the bike. What I went for and plan to add is:

SON 28 - build into a wheel by Mike Conway - 23mm.co.uk
B&M IQ-X - with handlebar mounting bracket as no hole on fork - Rose Bikes, I think
Igaro D1 - I plan to add in a setup similar to Tippers - for long long rides, I have 2 Garmin, so can charge one in dry whilst using the other
Rear light - I wasn't going to use, but given new thoughts on Igaro D1, might as well add - still to research

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1912 on: 02 December, 2016, 12:20:58 pm »

Yes that was me. Fuckwit.

I have had 4 Luxos. The first is still going strong, it was on the Ribble and is now in the spares box. The second was fitted to Fred and went tits up, don't know why. The third was a warranty replacement for the second and was fine until I got it wet with a hose pipe. I bought the 4th to replace the third and so far it's fine.
Not much chance of anything going wrong while it's in the Spares box ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1913 on: 02 December, 2016, 02:04:12 pm »
Don`t put yourself down OD, you`re great as you are. Just a bit of matchmaking, do you wanna sell your spare to Bloomers?

I shall keep my spare, I still have the wheels off the Ribble which I could use on Dakota if the need arose.

Hopefully it won't go futt in the spares box!

« Reply #1914 on: 04 December, 2016, 10:09:04 pm »
Mrs Tippers just got back from Wales telling me that her cousins son (Joe Holt) is riding in the Madision National Champs at Lee Valley on the 17th Dec.

Its a turn up and watch and only a £2 donation for entry but no tickets means first come first served. Just thought others might be interested.

http://www.fullgascycling.co.uk/national-madison-championships/

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1915 on: 05 December, 2016, 02:55:29 pm »
Chaps and Chapesses,
I don't like to nag but if you are intending to enjoy the January trip to the Velodrome please register your interest soonest.  I need to establish the need for a 2nd instructor, or even cancel the event if no further interest is seen.  So far I have 9 riders which does not make it an economic trip.
You can register your interest by letting me know or paying via PayPal using this link: https://www.paypal.me/GrantHuggins/35

With just over a month to go it's time to turn your attention to the Velodrome trip on January 5th starting at 8pm. Need to start asking for money and finalising numbers to see if we need a second instructor.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1228170870574362/1281543261903789/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1480588937859807

« Reply #1916 on: 05 December, 2016, 03:28:19 pm »
Chaps and Chapesses,
I don't like to nag but if you are intending to enjoy the January trip to the Velodrome please register your interest soonest.  I need to establish the need for a 2nd instructor, or even cancel the event if no further interest is seen.  So far I have 9 riders which does not make it an economic trip.
You can register your interest by letting me know or paying via PayPal using this link: https://www.paypal.me/GrantHuggins/35

This time I want to come but I can't..... :'(

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1917 on: 05 December, 2016, 03:44:37 pm »
Just got round to signing up. 
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1918 on: 05 December, 2016, 04:19:13 pm »
Approved a Witham Cycling add request from Luke, so assume he's going to sign up soon too  :)

« Reply #1919 on: 05 December, 2016, 04:28:01 pm »
I should have me plus the youngest Shredette.

Will sign up as soon as I work out how.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1920 on: 05 December, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »
I should have me plus the youngest Shredette.

Will sign up as soon as I work out how.
I've added you to the Witham Cycling Facebook group page so you can see the event details there, otherwise use these links:
For one person - https://www.paypal.me/GrantHuggins/35
For two people - https://www.paypal.me/GrantHuggins/70

:thumbsup:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1921 on: 05 December, 2016, 04:34:53 pm »
Approved a Witham Cycling add request from Luke, so assume he's going to sign up soon too  :)

Yep - I think his brother is interested too.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1922 on: 08 December, 2016, 07:48:47 am »
Yesterday evening just me and huggy set off from the roundabout and enjoyed a convoluted route to The Woolie where we found Oaky in civvies along with Mr and Mrs jibers also in normal clothing. After sampling a variety of festive brews we retired the the curry shop for my fourth decent sized meal of the day.

I then got the train home and had the opportunity to explain to some pissed blokes that Chelmsford wasn't Manningtree. Most of them understood and got back on the train, a couple were very confused and were still on the platform when the train left. The train wasn't actually stopping at Manningtree so I suggested they change at Colchester. 

All in all a very pleasant festive evening.

Oh, we might have to give jibers some MEMWNS training.  In the last few weeks he's learned that Christophe doesn't drive a prisoner transport van for G4S and I'm not from Lowestoft and have only been there once. What else doesn't he know?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1923 on: 08 December, 2016, 09:16:18 am »
Some great winter ales, especially the liquid marmalade again, and again (and again).  Curry was spot on too  :thumbsup:
Quite a poor showing on the CYCLING front though I thought seeing as I had managed to drag myself away form the colonials for a change. 5 present, 2 had cycled there, only one cycled all the way home. 
Does winter beer make you go soft?!
 ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1924 on: 08 December, 2016, 09:33:15 am »
I did do some time on teh turbo before I came out! :D
Regards,

Joergen