Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526092 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1950 on: 19 December, 2016, 09:20:30 am »
Not many spaces left on London-Wales-London if any one fancied having a go at that...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1951 on: 19 December, 2016, 12:21:16 pm »
The famous ACME peloton took on the Santa Special yesterday.

Jiber, the Hustler, Nurse Ratched and I formed one group along with Bus Shelter Bertie and a club mate of mine on his first 200. 

From the off I was struggling to keep up a bit as I discovered that riding fixed in the winter with worn summer tyres doesn't work that well.  My back wheel was shimmying violently beneath me as I went down Cox's hill so it was slow work going downhill from then on.  My ride became characterised by losing touch with the group going down and then trying to catch up again on the flat or going up.

Meanwhile Tomsk was driving the Tomsk train with his own group.  He set off a few minutes behind us and we did not see him overtake us between Arrivee and the second control at Diss.  I thought we had kept up a reasonable pace and we only stopped for the obligatory photo at the Camel Oasis.  Imagine our surprise then to find Tomsk and his merry band taking their ease on the sofas in the cafĂ© looking like they had just walked round the corner.  Tomsk had an unlikely tale about bouncing the first control and setting a high pace.  We left Tomsk & Co tucking into seconds and headed off to Sudbury.  Again, no overtaking and who should walk into McDonalds with us, yup, Tomsk.

As is traditional, we formed a larger peloton for the last couple of legs and put Tomsk at the front.  At least that's what it looked like from a mile or two behind. I was slightly late leaving Sudbury as I was getting my bottle filled and then promptly forgot it anyway :facepalm:  I did catch up with a few of the group a couple of miles down the road where a driver had decided that the best way of overtaking a group of cyclists was with liberal use of the horn and loud revs.  When this didn't work he simply got out of his car and started shouting.    Deniece was giving him as good as she was getting but Jiber and I decided to stop and just make sure.

After an hour or so without water, I was glad to catch up with the peloton when they were stopped at some lights.  My wingman duly obliged with a drink and then they all shot off down a hill leaving me to pick my way down on my ever-worsening back tyre.  Fortunately we had Cox's hill to go back up again so we were able to reform for the final sprint to Arrivee.  It's important to keep something back for this and annoy any members of the group that were hoping for a steady last few miles  :thumbsup:

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1952 on: 19 December, 2016, 10:39:38 pm »
Not many spaces left on London-Wales-London if any one fancied having a go at that...

Thanks for the reminder.  Now entered.  Hopefully this time around I will (a) be able to find something nourishing to eat in Chepstow, (b) not get three visitations in the final 30km and (c) remember not to park next to the bottle bank if I'm going to have a kip in the back of car before driving home.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1953 on: 20 December, 2016, 12:22:55 am »
Yes I read about you car sleeping show you put on for the natives!....

Thats potentially 3 of us from teh East Angular region.....

Any more takers... ?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1954 on: 22 December, 2016, 09:18:50 am »
You know we were talking about the 2017 Arrow last night?  Well ... I might I MIGHT DO THIS INSTEAD!.  You can thank jibers for bringing it to my attention.

« Reply #1955 on: 22 December, 2016, 11:55:16 am »
From all points of the compasses we descended on the ancient town of Coggeshall to mark the Winter Solstice.  The celebrants were myself, OD, Carlos Fandango, the Hustler, Tomsk, Hotblack and Oaky Wanke nob.

OD, being a deeply spiritual chap, chose to follow some of the ley lines that meet there.  Carlos preferred to continue up and down the ancient Roman way of Stane Street for a while rather than just stop at the restaurant.  The remainder of us followed the obvious routes. 

Eventually we assembled at Eastern Promise so that OD could celebrate Jool, Carlos Saturnalia and the rest of us eat some curry.

The curry itself was extremely decent.  The unexpected highlight was the brussels sprout bajee. It doesn't sound like a promising combination but it was memorable.  Dishes ranged from an aubergine vegi fest right through to Hotblack's nuclear chicken curry.  One other point of note was that, unusually for an Indian meal, we managed to eat all the food on the table (apart from my decorative vegetables obviously).

Dinner consumed, we headed over to the Chapel to sample some local ales from the Red Fox brewery and talk about our Easter Arrow campaigns.

Even on the way home it was still mild enough to be riding in shorts.  Long may the mildness continue.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1956 on: 22 December, 2016, 12:05:39 pm »
Full of Eastern Promise ...

The delicious food including sprout bahjee and my king prawn and asparagus chef's special ...

I didn't think blokes still had purses like this but Hot Black does, good effort sir ...!

Me and a couple of my carers, I don't know where I'd be without them, I'm so grateful ...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1957 on: 22 December, 2016, 05:24:05 pm »
Excellent curry, and company too... :thumbsup:

The byway I took comes the back way from Pattiswick - turn L under the pylons, then R through the woods. Barriers to keep motor vehicles out Nov-March. The track is a bit muddy at present, obviously used by farm vehs, but with a solid surface underneath. Some potholes and puddles, only one the width of the track [looked deep!] - had to be picked carefully round on foot. Out of the woods it became much firmer, named Ambridge Lane on gmaps, tarmac surfaced from the farms/cottages, then crosses the A120 Coggeshall bypass. Cycles/peds only, becomes quite narrow [concrete blocks at each end too] and emerges in Coggeshall as Robinsbridge Road.

Btw, If anyone is interested in a brisk morning ride on Christmas Eve, Dunmow Velo are going to Cambridge for brunch. Around 60 miles, 17mph average speed. Meet 08:30 at the B184 Thaxted Road roundabout north of Dunmow.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1958 on: 23 December, 2016, 08:52:17 am »
The byway I took comes the back way from Pattiswick - turn L under the pylons, then R through the woods. Barriers to keep motor vehicles out Nov-March. The track is a bit muddy at present, obviously used by farm vehs, but with a solid surface underneath. Some potholes and puddles, only one the width of the track [looked deep!] - had to be picked carefully round on foot. Out of the woods it became much firmer, named Ambridge Lane on gmaps, tarmac surfaced from the farms/cottages, then crosses the A120 Coggeshall bypass. Cycles/peds only, becomes quite narrow [concrete blocks at each end too] and emerges in Coggeshall as Robinsbridge Road.

Tomsk, is THIS THE TRACK YOU'RE REFERRING TO?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1959 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:48:51 am »
^ Yup, that's it  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1960 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:58:25 am »
^ Yup, that's it  :thumbsup:

Added to the COR database!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1961 on: 29 December, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »
I'm working between Christmas and New Year but there isn't much going on so I find my mind turning to Cunning Plans for 2017.  I've mentioned this before but HERE is more meat on the bones of a previously mooted idea inspired by a careless comment (remember kids, careless talk costs lives  ;D  ) made by jibers.

OD goes to Lowestoft follows much of the outward route of the now infamous 2010 California Ride so incorporates a bit of COR  :thumbsup:  My initial thought is to run it as a group 200k mandatory route DIY by GPS.

What do we think?  By the way, I don't have a date in mind yet.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1962 on: 29 December, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »
Sorry, I forgot the best bit.  Once we get to Lowestoft we check in to previously booked a seaside B&B, have a quick shower before enjoying the flesh pots of Lowestoft.  I shall then get the train home the following day.  So the ride will be on a Saturday.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1963 on: 29 December, 2016, 09:01:58 pm »
Sounds like a potential Acme event!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1964 on: 30 December, 2016, 08:18:50 am »
Sounds like a potential Acme event!

Indeed. I was thinking about opening it up to others as well. Could be a way of recruiting new members and selling some merchandise.

« Reply #1965 on: 30 December, 2016, 03:29:52 pm »
Sorry, I forgot the best bit.  Once we get to Lowestoft we check in to previously booked a seaside B&B, have a quick shower before enjoying the flesh pots of Lowestoft.  I shall then get the train home the following day.  So the ride will be on a Saturday.

As almost a local (just across the border in Norfolk) and occasional visitor to the Loostoff nightlife I can safely say you will be taking your life in to your hands. Also not a great place for a night out as its so spread out. Long walks between pubs...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1966 on: 30 December, 2016, 03:31:11 pm »

As almost a local (just across the border in Norfolk) and occasional visitor to the Loostoff nightlife I can safely say you will be taking your life in to your hands. Also not a great place for a night out as its so spread out. Long walks between pubs...

Sounds epic!  What's the worst ...?

« Reply #1967 on: 01 January, 2017, 11:45:35 am »
Velodrome trip is fast approaching ... Thursday 5th Jan. For TP insurance, I have BC membership, and I have just arranged CTC membership for my son. I think I read about needing to be Witham Cycling members too, which again I think can be arranged on the night.

Apart from remembering to take all the usual kit for velodrome riding, and aiming to be there at 7pm, is there anything else?

Looking forward to a circular evening.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1968 on: 01 January, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »
Velodrome trip is fast approaching ... Thursday 5th Jan. For TP insurance, I have BC membership, and I have just arranged CTC membership for my son. I think I read about needing to be Witham Cycling members too, which again I think can be arranged on the night.

Apart from remembering to take all the usual kit for velodrome riding, and aiming to be there at 7pm, is there anything else?

Looking forward to a circular evening.
That's covered it all, see you on Thursday  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1969 on: 02 January, 2017, 12:38:14 pm »
You know we were talking about the 2017 Arrow last night?  Well ... I might I MIGHT DO THIS INSTEAD!.  You can thank jibers for bringing it to my attention.

I have just entered this ^^^ so I won't be doing the Arrow this year.  I'd better make sure me and Fred are up to the challenge  :o

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1970 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:16:29 pm »
You'll be fine with a triple and some big tyres :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1971 on: 02 January, 2017, 07:40:41 pm »
You'll be fine with a triple and some big tyres :)

I have them all!

« Reply #1972 on: 03 January, 2017, 11:07:41 am »
nice one OD, if I was not on the 400 from Preston the week after I would have been putting the 40mm tyres back on the Croix and joining you. Sounds like a great ride. Maybe you and I should organise a ACME Gravel Grind Audax in the future

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1973 on: 03 January, 2017, 11:19:16 am »
nice one OD, if I was not on the 400 from Preston the week after I would have been putting the 40mm tyres back on the Croix and joining you. Sounds like a great ride. Maybe you and I should organise a ACME Gravel Grind Audax in the future

Good idea!

« Reply #1974 on: 06 January, 2017, 10:13:30 am »
With no MEMWNS outing this week it was off to the Velodrome last night for some intensive winter training.

ACME members were thin on the ground with only myself, Huggy, Psyclist and Tippers in attendance.  Doggers was there as well but he was with his new fast friends  :o

I "reluctantly" demoted myself to the second group as the youngest shredette was also in attendance.  It turned out to be a mixed ability group with one subsection hurtling round without moving from the black line and others spread across the boards at varying speeds.  Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, even the shredette and that is no mean feat for a 15 year old.

Afterwards there was time for a quick sampling of Hammerton's Life on Mars.

Chapeau to Huggy for corralling 23 people into paying up and turning up on a cold winter's evening.  We are fortunate to have an organisational genius in our midst who uses his abilities for such noble ends.  Just imagine what an evil Huggy could get up to with an extinct volcano, many henchmen in boiler suits and a white cat.