Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526132 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2000 on: 22 January, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
Not sure I can be much help - Poppy has a 110mm bottom bracket, Campag Record chainset, with a 120mm rear hub. Bernardette is on a new-fangled press-fit Hope. You can get a bit of wiggle room at the back, by screwing the cog on reversed to bring it in a bit, provided the chain clears the spokes though!

Another work-around I've used with yet another old chainset is to use washers [filed with a flat to fit the spider] between chainring and spider to move it out a bit - you'll have to use double-chainring bolts for the extra thickness to be held together. If you're way out then I guess a longer BB spindle will be the way to go.

Aha - so I can flip the cog... I looked at that but all the diagrams I saw showed the flange spoke side - that might give me the required shift to get it in line for the 113mm BB, I think its about a 48mm chainline with the 113 so if I can move in the rear by 5mm its there!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2001 on: 22 January, 2017, 06:06:27 pm »
LONDON BIKE SHOW: Invite to ACME/Mid-Essex Cyclists and indeed the Entire yacf Community.

I'm getting a group from Dunmow Velo together, to go to the London Bike Show at ExCel, [& to the Triathlon Show and the Outdoor Adventure and Camping Show] on Saturday 18th February. If I can get 10 or more together, then we'll qualify for a discount on the £18 entry fee.

Dunmovians will be sharing lifts to Epping, then on the Central Line+DLR, [though I imagine most of the Mid-Essex crew will take the train].

PM asap if you are interested,
Tomsk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2002 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:10:14 am »
So we can get into the adventure camping show as well as the bike show?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2003 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:02:10 am »
Yes - it's all in the same exhibition area - iirc the motorbike show is on also, but you have to pay extra to get in there (its the hall opposite)

When I went last time I think there were a number of entry discount codes knocking around also.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2004 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:26:12 am »
Anyone interested in joining in?
In short, I'll let you know on Sunday if I'm fit for next weekend :-)

My knee was more or less fine on Saturday. My diagnosis is that it was caused by a period off the bike followed by a long ride without building up the distance. As such, my thoughts are that I should have a few shorter rides in the run up to the Knights Templer on 4th Feb, rather than another long ride this coming weekend. With a lot of riding planned this year, I'm going to be cautious and build up sensibly.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2005 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:55:21 am »
Anyone interested in joining in?
In short, I'll let you know on Sunday if I'm fit for next weekend :-)

My knee was more or less fine on Saturday. My diagnosis is that it was caused by a period off the bike followed by a long ride without building up the distance. As such, my thoughts are that I should have a few shorter rides in the run up to the Knights Templer on 4th Feb, rather than another long ride this coming weekend. With a lot of riding planned this year, I'm going to be cautious and build up sensibly.
That sounds like a sensible idea. I obviously want to get my 200 done but I am having a few trains of thought.

If it stays this cold I will either ECE from home on gritted roads or sack it off and just suck up the miss on the RRtY, it has to be better than getting injured due to an off on some ice.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2006 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:11:25 pm »
LONDON BIKE SHOW: Invite to ACME/Mid-Essex Cyclists and indeed the Entire yacf Community.

I'm getting a group from Dunmow Velo together, to go to the London Bike Show at ExCel, [& to the Triathlon Show and the Outdoor Adventure and Camping Show] on Saturday 18th February. If I can get 10 or more together, then we'll qualify for a discount on the £18 entry fee.

Dunmovians will be sharing lifts to Epping, then on the Central Line+DLR, [though I imagine most of the Mid-Essex crew will take the train].

PM asap if you are interested,
Tomsk

You'll be getting a PM any second now.

« Reply #2007 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:09:25 am »
So folks, the plan for Saturday is Dick Turpins Day Out, De Ja Vu for January. The way I am feeling I suspect it will be a bit slow but it's winter so no real reason to rush!

I am planning to start from Dunmow at about 7:30 or 8.

EDIT: Change of Plan, I am going to start in Sudbury.....get that leg I don't like out of the way early and have the option of a train from Sudbury back to Marks Tey at the end.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2008 on: 25 January, 2017, 01:15:21 pm »
Not sure I can be much help - Poppy has a 110mm bottom bracket, Campag Record chainset, with a 120mm rear hub. Bernardette is on a new-fangled press-fit Hope. You can get a bit of wiggle room at the back, by screwing the cog on reversed to bring it in a bit, provided the chain clears the spokes though!

Another work-around I've used with yet another old chainset is to use washers [filed with a flat to fit the spider] between chainring and spider to move it out a bit - you'll have to use double-chainring bolts for the extra thickness to be held together. If you're way out then I guess a longer BB spindle will be the way to go.

Double check that the square taper is the correct standard for your crankset _ Miche Primato sets I have encountered have been JIS (Japanese Standard, like Shimano), not ISO (Italian stuff like Campag) but they may do both. Fitting a mismatched pair can damage cranks. Shimano BBs are only available in JIS format.

Aha - so I can flip the cog... I looked at that but all the diagrams I saw showed the flange spoke side - that might give me the required shift to get it in line for the 113mm BB, I think its about a 48mm chainline with the 113 so if I can move in the rear by 5mm its there!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2009 on: 25 January, 2017, 03:33:45 pm »
Thanks BFC - they are both JIS.

Any way I am no longer a fixie virgin.... and I am still alive though not for the want of trying! LOL

Is it always this stressful riding fixed!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2010 on: 25 January, 2017, 04:01:44 pm »
It's utterly relaxing once you're used to it.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2011 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:10:11 am »
I hope you chaps had fun last night.

Myself and The Current Mrs R had dinner at The Monkey (aka Rayleigh Arms, Terling) and very nice it was too.   The food isn't haute cuisine but very good pub grub all the same.  They had Maldon Gold on gravity plus a couple of Adnam's ales on the pumps.  The service was also spot on.

Yes, the place does need a few more finishing touches to add character but we were told the management is on the case, it all takes time and money, but I'd still recommend The Monkey and we will certainly be going back.

« Reply #2012 on: 26 January, 2017, 10:32:32 am »
We did indeed have fun last night.

I met Tomsk in the car park at the Railway, which was handy as I had to return the ACME shop to him. 

In the pub itself we found Tippers, Johnny Faro, the Award Winner, Huggy and Hotblack.  Sid James bundled in just behind us to complete the group.  The Award Winner made a poor attempt to pass on the kitty kitty purse (apparently such mundane tasks are now below him).  Fortunately, it took me so long to secure 3 pints that I was immediately relieved of my temporary position and normal service was soon resumed.  I liked him much better when he was just plain old AndyC3333333 before these delusions of grandeur took hold.  What would uncle Jezza say ?

The Blacksheep was back on so we took full advantage and it was the only option for the Quaffers' Choice Award.

Talk was of audax planning and ACME Team Anvil's proposed assault on the Easter Arrow - see thread to follow.

I left the pub to discover that I had in fact been blown there and now faced a headwind all the way home.  It was a cold and windy ride back to the coast but I eventually warmed up after about 5 hours in bed.

Totham Compasses has been mooted for next week as Huggy needs to sort something for the Knights Templars ride.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2013 on: 26 January, 2017, 10:37:12 am »
In other news, we seem to have settled on the composition of ACME Team Anvil:

Captain and front runner - Sid James
Vice-Captain and relief front runner - the Straggler
Hedge Stop Controller - Bobb
Anarchist in residence - the Award Winner
Me - me

Tomsk is providing our leadership team with some information on routes and controls so hopefully the pair of them can come up with something flat with a tailwind.

« Reply #2014 on: 26 January, 2017, 11:36:05 am »
 :thumbsup:

So that currently leaves

Huggy (maybe)
Jiberjaber
Psyclist
Tippers
JSabine
Oaky
Phil W
Tomsk

From the previous list....potentially 2 more teams? Wonder if we can find another 2 victims riders. Bernster would surely be up for an Arrow, no? Oscars Dad, a nice early summer jaunt up to York, you could even take your camping gear.

« Reply #2015 on: 26 January, 2017, 11:49:29 am »
We had kind of assumed that you fast riders would want to form ACME Team Dynamite with a potential Thursday evening start.

It is open to the other fast riders to form ACME Team Catapult with, perhaps, a start nearer the western end of the county.

OD and his trowel are out of the Arrows as they are committed to the off road brevet a couple of weeks later and he doesn't like to go any further north than Colchester more than once a month.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #2016 on: 26 January, 2017, 05:31:15 pm »
Bernster would surely be up for an Arrow, no?

Unfortunately I'm away for the whole of the Easter holidays (the downside of having a wife who is a teacher) - an arrow is definitely on my list of things to do, so maybe next year  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2017 on: 26 January, 2017, 05:38:07 pm »
Bernster would surely be up for an Arrow, no?

Unfortunately I'm away for the whole of the Easter holidays (the downside of having a wife who is a teacher) - an arrow is definitely on my list of things to do, so maybe next year  :thumbsup:
Where's the commitment?  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2018 on: 26 January, 2017, 05:42:56 pm »
... Totham Compasses has been mooted for next week as Huggy needs to sort something for the Knights Templars ride.

Oh, bugger.  Can we move the venue to somewhere in Berkshire as I'm going to be in Thatchham next Wednesday afternoon and might not be back in The People's Republic of Mid-Essex until late.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2019 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:32:55 pm »
ACME Team Dynamite?:

Tomsk
f&bhoot
jiberjaber
Psyclist
tippers

Clearance for a Thursday evening start has been given. We can see Lincolnshire in daylight  :thumbsup: :o

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2020 on: 26 January, 2017, 08:43:16 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #2021 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:28:58 pm »
It appears Team Acme Anvil are making advancing progress with riders roles and responsibilities. I think we just need a Control stop timekeeper/Essex energy drink purchaser role for Ted.

I'm happy to organise first 200km route out from start and leave Sid to piece together the remaining distance to York and rail journey return leg home  :D
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #2022 on: 26 January, 2017, 09:35:50 pm »
The Award Winner is in charge of transportation.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2023 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:36:47 am »
ACME Team Dynamite?:

Tomsk
f&bhoot
jiberjaber
Psyclist
tippers

Clearance for a Thursday evening start has been given. We can see Lincolnshire in daylight  :thumbsup: :o

Looks good to me, and my legs will have done many miles between now and then so hopefully I'll be worthy of such esteemed company.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2024 on: 27 January, 2017, 08:08:50 am »
ACME Team Dynamite?:

Tomsk
f&bhoot
jiberjaber
Psyclist
tippers

Looks good to me, and my legs will have done many miles between now and then so hopefully I'll be worthy of such esteemed company.

Ace - I've booked Friday night accomodation for the team on a flexible basis - thought I'd get it done PDQ given it's easter and might sell quickly.
Regards,

Joergen