Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526026 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2025 on: 27 January, 2017, 08:30:24 am »

I'm happy to organise first 200km route out from start and leave Sid to piece together the remaining distance to York and rail journey return leg home  :D

In that case, I'm hoping that the end of your 200km is within 200km of York ;D

« Reply #2026 on: 27 January, 2017, 09:03:25 am »

I'm happy to organise first 200km route out from start and leave Sid to piece together the remaining distance to York and rail journey return leg home  :D

In that case, I'm hoping that the end of your 200km is within 200km of York ;D
Ah, it's great to see two such fantastic minds working together.

We are all looking forward to admiring the pair of you up at the front, leading us to York

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2027 on: 27 January, 2017, 09:17:52 am »

We are all looking forward to admiring the pair of you up at the front, leading us to York

You sure you are on the right website?

« Reply #2028 on: 27 January, 2017, 09:23:56 am »
you've obviously never followed Sid  ;D
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2029 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:16:23 pm »
Folks, trains are now available. I am happy to book the seats for Team Dynamite. What time to people want to leave York? Around midday?

Will need to be quick to get the bike spaces I susepct

« Reply #2030 on: 27 January, 2017, 12:26:16 pm »
About midday sounds just about right I think for train.

Could I request a ticket back to Bishop's Stortford please? If that complicates things, leave it as Witham and I'll cycle the last bit.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2031 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:13:13 pm »
Folks, trains are now available. I am happy to book the seats for Team Dynamite. What time to people want to leave York? Around midday?

Will need to be quick to get the bike spaces I susepct

I'm pondering heading on to M'bro (perhaps train or ride - not decided that yet)...
Regards,

Joergen

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #2032 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:20:38 pm »
Team Acme Anvil - I propose start from Kelvedon Train station? Please shout if not suitable and I will plan start on most popular preference.
CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #2033 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:31:09 pm »
OK...I have just checked and it is actually cheaper to get individual tickets at this stage (by about £1.50). Can I be lazy and suggest we all sort ourselves out for train travel?

If I do book it would be back to Kings Cross only.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2034 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:32:52 pm »
Team Acme Anvil - I propose start from Kelvedon Train station? Please shout if not suitable and I will plan start on most popular preference.
Oh Dear straggler, have you learned nothing?  Surely you must realise by now that all great ACME adventures start after a 'spoons breakfast in Witham  :P
Not that I have any right to be making such recommendations with respect to the Arrow of course.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2035 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »
Alternatively adventures start at the Spa Road roundabout  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2036 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:37:41 pm »
Alternatively adventures start at the Spa Road roundabout  ;D
or the Spa Road roundabout  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2037 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:39:46 pm »
OK...I have just checked and it is actually cheaper to get individual tickets at this stage (by about £1.50). Can I be lazy and suggest we all sort ourselves out for train travel?

If I do book it would be back to Kings Cross only.

EDIT: IGNORE SOME OF THAT - I can make the group bookings from York to Kings Cross. And as we have a Tandem team I will be booking for 5 + 5 Bikes. All good? 11:59 from York to KGX.

Jiberjaber, I will leave you to sort your good self out.

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2038 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »
Oh Dear straggler, have you learned nothing?  Surely you must realise by now that all great ACME adventures start after a 'spoons breakfast in Witham  :P
Not that I have any right to be making such recommendations with respect to the Arrow of course.

Witham would be best for me straggler :thumbsup:

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #2039 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:54:40 pm »
OK unanimous decision is WHITHAM SPOONS PUB arrows start for Anvil group.

Thanks Huggy for making me see sense.

CCS - Setting the Standards

« Reply #2040 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:59:17 pm »
Arrrgghhhhhh.......I just took the risk to try and group book 5 of us with bikes on the 11:59 from York and it would not let me do it due to the number of bikes. I called them and was told that as there are only 5 bike spaces i would not be able to book all of them......

So I have gone back to my DIY booking and booked myself onad my bike on the 11:59 from York to KGX.....sorry.....if someone else manages to make a group booking with a bike I am happy to sacrifice my ticket or there will no doubt be someone else that might take it.

« Reply #2041 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:25:06 pm »
I couldn't see how to do this as a single group booking with bikes. So nabbed a ticket for 11:59 train, and phoned through to get the bike reservation sorted.

Tickets are currently £15 standard, or £40 first class. I've gone with the cheaper option.

« Reply #2042 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:40:10 pm »
 :thumbsup:
yep, I managed to get the small group booking done and added 5 bikes then it rejected me  :-[ I tried for a later train which did the same (both said not enough or no bike spaces) which is when I called figuring group bike bookings might be the issue. Not sure if the message I got was accurate but it pretty much came across as you can't expect to book all 5 spaces for one group.

« Reply #2043 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »
Which site are you using? I went to the Virgin website, but the ticket prices there were ridiculous, so I then used The Trainline, but I'm not aware that they allow bike reservations online. So after buying the ticket, I called them separately for the bike reservation. Always a bit of a risk doing that.

« Reply #2044 on: 27 January, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »
I used the Virgin East Coast one. got the £15 ticket and could reserve the bike online for 1

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2045 on: 27 January, 2017, 05:03:19 pm »
Just a message to let AndyC33333333 not to worry about booking a ticket for me, `cos I`ve reserved a seat and bike space on the 11:59 already :)

« Reply #2046 on: 27 January, 2017, 05:40:52 pm »
Folks, I got a message from one of the Thanet Road Club riders (not sure if he has found his way here) who rode the Stanstead Express (which I believe was his first Audax) and he's sliding on that slippery Audax slope. Anyway, he says
Hi nik I'm thinking of setting up an audax type ride down here in the summer from a real ale brewery near me there's plenty of room for parking and camping there wondered if you and the acme lads would be interested I will do it through thanet road club it won't be through AUK be good to hear your thoughts and any ideas mate cheers
You will notice the piece I have highlighted which makes it all very interesting. No dates yet but will keep you all updated. Let me know if it is of potential interest to you all. Even if it is not AUK I guess we can do some kind of DIY activity.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2047 on: 27 January, 2017, 07:29:18 pm »
Ok folks, I'll sort out my train booking asap. The rest will follow on naturally...

« Reply #2048 on: 27 January, 2017, 07:38:54 pm »
Jiberjaber, just to confirm. Rooms are booked for the complete team right? And we fix you up for it.

ie. You succeeded where I failed :facepalm:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2049 on: 27 January, 2017, 07:44:14 pm »
Jiberjaber, just to confirm. Rooms are booked for the complete team right? And we fix you up for it.

ie. You succeeded where I failed :facepalm:
Yes, I booked 5 rooms, all doubles and on the flex rate so can be cancelled if required. If any one wants to share I can amend and cancel a room but at the moment every one apart from the tandem has their own room, £108 each room.
Regards,

Joergen