Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526072 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2600 on: 27 July, 2017, 02:52:48 pm »
Does anybody have a bike trailer ... could be used the following week for collection/delivery duties.
I can go over in the ACME Team Van(c) and collect our brewed master pieces  :thumbsup:
However, Tomsk has a bike trailer  :D

Cool. I have a 200km route that goes via Southminster, so I had a crazy idea that I could pickup and deliver to folks on the way back. In the cold light of day that idea might not get very far ... not sure if it might shake the beer up a bit!
About 140kg of beer on the trailer may slow you down a bit too  :P
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2601 on: 27 July, 2017, 04:03:39 pm »
I've got a burley bee that could be borrowed for beer delivery. Alas can't do the brewery tour

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2602 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »
Does anybody have a bike trailer ... could be used the following week for collection/delivery duties.
I can go over in the ACME Team Van(c) and collect our brewed master pieces  :thumbsup:
However, Tomsk has a bike trailer  :D

The BoB trailer could hand a couple of mini-pins, but a large consignment would be interesting...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2603 on: 07 August, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »
Wibblers Brewery - Be a Brewer for the Day
This has been mentioned in passing and was again last night.  I have spoken to the nice people at Wibblers and they will do an event for us if we have a suitable sized group, on Saturday 18th November. The group size needs to be 4 to 8 6.

The cost is £100 out of which you get:
Quote from: Wibblers
Participants get fully hands-on with brewing a beer throughout the day.
All in all a truly great gift idea for the beer enthusiast or loved one in your life.
The full days programme will involve hot liquor treatment, mashing in, hop additions and
much more behind the scenes testing and yeast viability checking.

Lunch will be provided, along with ales from the Taproom bar.

There will also be a 17 pint mini pin of the beer you made available for collection one week after your experience day, collection can be arranged for weekends.

Unlike other many other Brewery Experiences you can have an input into the beer you brew!
The brewery is close to Southminster train station so there are possibilities of cycle/train transport.

So, who's up for it?
Would like to get at least 4 people committing in the next week so I can confirm the booking.

Attendees:
huggy
OD
jibers
psyclist
Oaky
I have confirmed the booking for 18th November and paid 5 x £10 deposits. When booking I was advised that the limit is really 6 participants, therefore there is currently 1 space remaining for this event, I guess we could say first to respond bags the final place or we could have an arm wrestling contest or something similar if there more than 6 of us wanting to go on this occasion  :D

Payment can be made on the day.  The experience starts at 8am and goes through to 5 or 6 in the evening. 
**Goes off to look at train times to get to Southminster for 07:45ish on a Saturday morning.....that'll be 6am from Witham then, or more likely cycling from about 06:30, depending upon road iciness...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2604 on: 10 August, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »
Well it looks like The Bard is busy so allow me to sum up yesterday evening ... wet.  But there's a bit more to tell.

This being my first MEMWNS for a few weeks and bearing in mind I have had more than a few drinks since my last ride not to mention some sleeps and a visit to a foreign country it transpired I was unconsciously incompetent yesterday evening.  I was convinced we set off at 7pm from the Spa Road roundabout so had to forego my tea as I didn't want to be late.  At 1905hrs I was still standing alone by the roundabout so set off into the downpour hoping there would be some friendly faces when I arrived at The Compasses.

At approximately 1935hrs my phone began ringing, it was Andy C33333333333333333333333333333.  I answered the call but couldn't make myself heard although I could hear Andy.  Eventually two way conversation took place and my error became apparent  ::-)  I suggested we meet at Fairstead church after which myself, Andy and Gavin proceeded through the floods to Littley Green.  Gavin was on top form with brakes that didn't work and surprise expressed when he spotted a race course in the distance ("It's been there about 10 years and we've ridden past it on numerous occasions" "Have we?!?"  ;D  )  The pub also caught him unawares ("It's a pub!"  "Yes, the one we're cycling to!" "Oh, how nice!"  :thumbsup:  )

Once inside we discovered the place was packed but thankfully huggy, jibers and Mrs jibers had bagged a table in the Green Room.  As time past we were joined by Tomsk (wet) and ted (dry).  As you'd expect talk was mainly of LEL both from a riders' and volunteers' standpoint - both roles sounded equally heroic.

huggy mentioned that the Team Van could be used to transport riders and their machines back to Witham and once I got outside the sense of his suggestion was all too obvious (still wet).  It should be noted that Gavin and Andy rode home in the rain.

I learned that Seal Skinz waterproof socks aren't after approximately 60 minutes when worn with SPD sandals.  When taking into account the amount of standing water we rode through I can't bring myself to be disappointed.

All in all an enjoyable evening.

Oh, I did get dinner in the end.  I had a burger and melted cheese huffer with chips on the side.  Burp.

Oh and ted fell off his bike in Dorset injuring himself.  It seems unconscious (he banged his head so nearly was  :hand: ) incompetence is spreading.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2605 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:26:50 pm »
I happened across this tonight, which I thought seemed sort of useful:
https://routecheck.cc/

allows you to show POI relative to a GPX (or RWGPS route), i.e. pubs within 1 mile of route etc...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2606 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:11:45 pm »
I know this is wrong on many, many levels but I have just planted the seed of the Arrow to the ColVelo folk. In doing so I was looking up the dates and I couldn't help but notice that in 2019 Good Friday is on April 19th.....that's nearly a summer ride!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2607 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:50:12 pm »
I know this is wrong on many, many levels but I have just planted the seed of the Arrow to the ColVelo folk. In doing so I was looking up the dates and I couldn't help but notice that in 2019 Good Friday is on April 19th.....that's nearly a summer ride!

LOL LOL LOL  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2608 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:51:16 pm »
I happened across this tonight, which I thought seemed sort of useful:
https://routecheck.cc/

allows you to show POI relative to a GPX (or RWGPS route), i.e. pubs within 1 mile of route etc...

That's pretty clever but I note there isn't an "adult shop" option so the tool is clearly only of limited use.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2609 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:52:24 pm »

LOL LOL LOL  :thumbsup:  :facepalm:

I can see that some distractions are called for, some of you lot seem to have a one track mind  ::-)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2610 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:53:08 pm »
It would be far better if it just did a random "which pub shall I go to pub" generator
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2611 on: 17 August, 2017, 07:19:34 am »

« Reply #2612 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:21:15 am »
Waiting for BhODot.

I made my usual fashionably late arrival at the Ale House to find Huggy, Peter Jenkins, George V and the Admiral tucking into a Hank by Tiny Rebel.

After purchasing one for myself (before handing the balance to part-time kitty meister Huggy), I sat down with the others to wait for our beloved leader, guide and route provider, OD and our guest of honour, Bhoot.

While we waited, we sampled a variety of fine ales with Sex Drugs & Rock & Roll taking the Quaffers' Choice ahead of Hank, Juicy 4PM and Sun Corner Gold.

As we continued to wait for our late arrivals, the discussion moved to PJ's heroic mission across the Fens during LEL, Huggy's training plan for PBP '19 and the Kaiser's wonky moustache.  At this point our Group Chief Financial Officer, Fire Safety Officer and S&M Officer started talking about something technical, so the Admiral and I talked about sailing for a while.

Meanwhile we kept a beady eye on our bikes outside which were now bathing in the glow of Huggy's frame.  We were particularly watchful after having a glass thrown at the window next to us by one of the good citizens of Chelmsford.  Still we waited.

In the absence of our usual treasurer, the kitty fell to Huggy.  The Hustler can eke our tenners out to a whole night's entertainment so why did it need so much topping up last night ?  I can only assume that it was the lack of the magic kitty kitty purse.

Eventually the barmaid came to tell us that we had 5 minutes before she was locking the back door.  We were all reluctant to leave as we were certain that OD and Bhoot would arrive any minute but we had to retrieve our bikes before they were set alight.

Tsar Nicholas and I have not been awheel as much as we would have liked of late so we obviously had to try to ride home as quickly as possible to pretend that we hadn't lost most of our fitness.  By the time we reached Hatfield Peverel we were both back to riding at normal speeds but Huggy's soot framed wonder bike was but a dim green glow in the distance ahead.  He needs to be careful not to burn out before dragging me round our qualifying rides in 18 months time.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2613 on: 17 August, 2017, 12:16:52 pm »
Glad you all had fun, sorry about the last minute bail out, REAL LIFE ambushed me as it sometimes does  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2614 on: 24 August, 2017, 09:07:34 am »
Yesterday evening had it all and was a hoot.

We had a house warming in tippers' very nice garden, when we got to the Live and Let Live (a top pub in my opinion) we were delighted to find chief, Oaky and Mrs O sitting outside waiting for us, the beer was nice as was the G&T and house red, the conversation flowed, jibers might be entering next year's Trans-Continental Race (we're going to help do his video which is part of the entrance process), the ride home wasn't as nice as our ride to Stanway and I managed to fall off and the A12 cyclepath gave BFC two punctures, chief is now the keeper of the traffic cone hat which might morph in The Official MEMWNS / ACME Sorting Hat.

What have I missed?

Present were me, BFC, chief, huggy, Mrs O, Oaky, Tomsk, jibers and tippers.

« Reply #2615 on: 24 August, 2017, 09:40:35 am »
 ;D t'was fun indeed.

Hope you're ok after the off! G&T and House Red.....not a good combination.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2616 on: 24 August, 2017, 09:57:21 am »
;D t'was fun indeed.

I'm not sure the off was booze related, Fred's front wheel skidded up against the edge of a dropped curb which was quite high.  Oaky has a photo  ::-)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2617 on: 24 August, 2017, 11:46:52 am »
A good night indeed, I had a most delightful ride over to the rendezvous via some light COR and a riverside amble, very photographic. Great to see the new Tippers Towers and be treated to beer and nibbles, thanks Clan Tippers!

Bloody OD and his 'Grand Plans for Others'... I mulled over TCR last night on my ride home, not discounted it yet, but do I want 4000km of numbness & broken derriere.. hmmm  :facepalm:

I made good time along the A12 paths and given I had managed to not load the correct route on my Garmin so navigation by nose went well with only a mild bit of confusion around Kelvedon where I was thinking at one point I was heading to Coggeshall LOL  Overgrowth on the section to HP from Witham was quite bad, I don't remember it being that bad when I rode the otherway on Sat morning.

Lights went off in Chelmsford at 01:00 just as I was riding down Springfield Road.  Wonderful set of stars out last night and very clear roads...  :thumbsup: I managed to avoid every parked car and pothole whilst doing my star gazing!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2618 on: 24 August, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »
;D t'was fun indeed.

I'm not sure the off was booze related, Fred's front wheel skidded up against the edge of a dropped curb which was quite high.  Oaky has a photo  ::-)

I think it was a dropped kerb that wasn't dropped :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2619 on: 24 August, 2017, 12:36:11 pm »
Do you have photographic evidence to prove your theory?

« Reply #2620 on: 24 August, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »
Bloody OD and his 'Grand Plans for Others'... I mulled over TCR last night on my ride home, not discounted it yet, but do I want 4000km of numbness & broken derriere.. hmmm 

I'm starting to think about the Cambrian 6c for next year. 11,000m of climbing in a 600km event. It'll be like doing LEL but without the 850km of flat bits. Might be a good one for your preparation.

Also got me eyes on the on/off-road 'This is not a tour' 400km that has appeared in the calendar ... http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-463/ ... awaiting on news of the other events that will be added to an interesting gathering that weekend. Might be a good one for ACME folk with off-road capable bikes, which is probably just about everyone.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2621 on: 27 August, 2017, 01:19:21 am »
Because real life has prevented me from joining the Thanet ride next weekend i have ended up entering a........sportive  :o  looks like a good one though and mainly off road soy the mudguards will come off and the 47mm tireless will be back on!

Tour of the Cornfields

If anyone else fancies a jaunt through the fields I reckon I will have space in the car.

« Reply #2622 on: 03 September, 2017, 10:09:07 am »
I think this is an appropriate place to post this YouTube video: Dropping an anvil on stuff
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2623 on: 03 September, 2017, 12:08:23 pm »
I think this is an appropriate place to post this YouTube video: Dropping an anvil on stuff

Hahahaha an hour of my day wasted - good find!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2624 on: 04 September, 2017, 03:43:06 pm »
No sooner have we recovered from the latest Velodrome trip and I receive an invite to apply for the next available date between October and December.  IF I apply and am successful for a session it would make our 4th trip this calendar year.
Unless anyone has objection and enough upfront numbers are declared PDQ, I'm going to skip this invitation and wait for an opportunity in 2018.  Of course if anyone wants to make other clubs aware of the sessions I'm happy to forward the email to whomever it may be of interest to.