Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526069 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2750 on: 20 October, 2017, 01:11:35 pm »
I run all my saddles at the same height as well. My knees also struggled a bit over the first few months but all OK after that. Grin and Bear it and rest them when needed but I would agree with Tomsk that taking the opportunity to get out of the saddle regularly helps the knees a lot.

« Reply #2751 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:30:12 am »
ECE of the 3 R's entered, 100km before the off....I've just realised it covers quite  a lot of the Essex R&R route....heading up to Sudbury, Finchingfield and back to Witham....the legs should be nicely warmed up by the time I get to Witham at least.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2752 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:52:29 am »
I'm torn between 100km before or a split of 80/20 with a cycle home from the pub.... I suspect I'll go for the 100km as it will mellow me out for the main event  ;D :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2753 on: 26 October, 2017, 01:32:46 pm »
I'm torn between 100km before or a split of 80/20 with a cycle home from the pub.... I suspect I'll go for the 100km as it will mellow me out for the main event  ;D :thumbsup:

Yep, I did consider it but after experience last year I just know 100k before is the sensible option. My thinking is that even if I am at the Spoons just before 10 I can start behind the rest of the field and just stop less on the way round.

It is nice to not have to watch the time and I'll let the conditions (and GA) decide how I get home from there.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2754 on: 26 October, 2017, 04:30:04 pm »
Some of us didn't have much option about cycling after the 100 km due to the near perfect alignment of the inaugural series with engineering works! Hoping for a bit more choice in the matter this year, although not convinced it's a good idea to head out so early if there is ice about, but then again maybe the difference between a 4am and a 6am start is not really significant. I do like the concept of rolling out of the spoons to Witham station....

« Reply #2755 on: 26 October, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »
Grimpeur du Sud rides - need company?

I will be needing my climbing legs to be strong next year, and have just discovered the Grimpeur du Sud RtY award, which will be a sure fire way to build those legs without travelling too far. I'll be riding calendar events wherever possible, ECEing the 100km ones, and then supplementing with rides like Meridian Hills and Around Weald Expedition in other months.

So if you're preparing for the ACME Grand, aiming for the Grimpeur du Sud, or just want to get fit ready for a trip to the Alps, give me a shout. It would be good to have some familiar company.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #2756 on: 27 October, 2017, 09:33:39 am »
I'm usually up for a hilly ride whenever practical,  so keep me in the loop with your plans  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2757 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:02:29 am »
I'm usually up for a hilly ride whenever practical,  so keep me in the loop with your plans  :thumbsup:

Cool. Current plans are:

Nov 19 or 26 - Meridian Hills or AWE
Dec second half - Meridian Hills or AWE
Jan 26 - Hills and Mills + ECE (starting ECE at a convenient place to park approx 50k from start of calendar ride)
Feb 24 - Mad Jacks + ECE

The November and December dates will depend on the weather, and if anybody else is available.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2758 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:23:18 am »
I think I need a DIY for Nov so could be a plan.
Regards,

Joergen

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #2759 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:42:28 am »
I've got cards for both AWE and MH, so could be an option - my geared bike is in bits at the moment whilst I do some maintenance, so I'll need to find time to put it back together before committing.

« Reply #2760 on: 27 October, 2017, 12:16:55 pm »
I think I need a DIY for Nov so could be a plan.

Sounds good. Unless you are date constrained, we can keep that open until the medal ceremony weekend when the prevailing weather might be more known.

I've got cards for both AWE and MH, so could be an option - my geared bike is in bits at the moment whilst I do some maintenance, so I'll need to find time to put it back together before committing.

Likewise, I've just placed my request in for both cards. Hopefully you'll now have an impetus to get that maintenance finished  :)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2761 on: 27 October, 2017, 01:59:25 pm »
I'd be up for a ride on the 19th, afraid I can't manage the 26th. I'll order the brevet cards. I'm missing psyclist's  motivational comments as I gurn my way up each climb. I must warn you all that his idea of an easy ECE route usually has more climbing than the main event.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2762 on: 27 October, 2017, 01:59:58 pm »
... Hopefully you'll now have an impetus to get that maintenance finished  :)

Have you fitted your ACME mudflaps yet???

« Reply #2763 on: 27 October, 2017, 02:15:40 pm »

The expression "through gritted teeth" has been brought to life on some recent audax events, and just because I started at the back to avoid the issue didn't mean I stayed at the back.

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2764 on: 27 October, 2017, 02:27:39 pm »

The expression "through gritted teeth" has been brought to life on some recent audax events...

Exactly.  When we went to Holland I found riding behind psyclist sans flaps meant I was getting wet from the skies and the road!

« Reply #2765 on: 27 October, 2017, 02:29:47 pm »

The expression "through gritted teeth" has been brought to life on some recent audax events, and just because I started at the back to avoid the issue didn't mean I stayed at the back.

I'll be riding a different bike tomorrow and for the hilly rides ... one with full mudguards already fitted  :)

But yes, I do need to fit that ACME mudflap to my singlespeed, if only I could find where it is. At least I don't need to source suitable fixing bolts/nuts, as I have been reliably informed that the mudflap came with such items.

For the record OD, I've remembered what the 'gadget' was, and will take it next Wednesday.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #2766 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:30:08 pm »

My rear mudflap has been attached since LEL, but I could do with one for the singlespeed as well - don't suppose you have any spares or whether a repeat order is on the cards at any point?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2767 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:31:34 pm »
I think the minimum flap order is about a dozen.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2768 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »
I could do with another flap for the new bike. Just 10 more customers for you to find!

« Reply #2769 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:55:56 pm »
I may need a new flap also, so down to 9.

19th Nov provisionally earmarked for hilly ride. Looks like we have quite some interest.

« Reply #2770 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:40:22 am »
The Mountains of Essex

On a ride yesterday, there was some debate over the highest point in Essex. To resolve this, I have done my research and determined that the answer is Chrishall Common in the NW of the county near Saffron Walden.

Additional facts uncovered are that Essex has a higher point than Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Norfolk ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_counties_by_highest_point

For some reason the mountain guide has Cabin Hill as a higher peak, but that might be comparative to surrounding ground rather than the absolute height, https://www.themountainguide.co.uk/england/essex. Best quote from that website has to be:

The mountain guide has 5 mountains listed in Essex, England.

Who would have thought Essex was quite so mountainous!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2771 on: 29 October, 2017, 01:20:26 pm »
I’m a member of the Essex Mountain Rescue group on Facebook, so there must be some here!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2772 on: 29 October, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »
Can I ask which Essex Mountain Rescue. My brother formed what we believe to be the original and even had t shirts made which baffled people when we climbed Snowdon. However there is a newer group who claim to be Essex Mountain Rescue which we would have objected to except they appear to support real mountain rescue so don't.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2773 on: 29 October, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
Can I ask which Essex Mountain Rescue. My brother formed what we believe to be the original and even had t shirts made which baffled people when we climbed Snowdon. However there is a newer group who claim to be Essex Mountain Rescue which we would have objected to except they appear to support real mountain rescue so don't.
This one
As you and Geoff are members I'm guessing that I join the correct one  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2774 on: 29 October, 2017, 06:14:06 pm »
Brilliant I can't quiet believe anyone outside the usual suspects has joined. Unfortunately our only rescue resulted in a fatality when I waded in to rescue a I injured duckling. Should have left that to Witham RNLI