Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526129 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2975 on: 01 April, 2018, 09:01:30 pm »
April 8th, ColVelo have arranged for Paris Roubaix to be shown in the Queen Street Brewhouse in Colchester. So if you fancy supping some good Belgian beer while watching the race with a bunch of folk who love bikes come along. Jibers will attest it is a good little bar with some of Belgiums finest.... Westmalle Triple in pint form was my downfall last year.

Soupy and I are aiming to come along to Queen Street Brewhouse, Colchester on Sunday afternoon for this...  S. being the responsible adult/designated driver, so lifts can be given...I might get the urge to ride there, though.

And a reminder about this:

Helpers' Ride for 'The Woodman' on Saturday 7th April, starting at 10:00.

Riders/helpers are we still ok with 09:00 for 10:00 start from the Angel & Harp?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2976 on: 01 April, 2018, 09:16:47 pm »
And a reminder about this:

Helpers' Ride for 'The Woodman' on Saturday 7th April, starting at 10:00.

Riders/helpers are we still ok with 09:00 for 10:00 start from the Angel & Harp?
I’ve plotted my ECE route to the A&H, plan to be there close to 9am after about 65km
Update - now entered the Woodman and ECE.  Just need to leave myself 2 hours to ride home after the return to Church End.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2977 on: 03 April, 2018, 10:29:11 pm »
just looking at the possibility of ece etc. but also see the Man of Kent has been rescheduled for Sunday..
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #2978 on: 05 April, 2018, 11:42:05 am »
Eastside is da best, as the East Staines Massive declared when they faced up to Ali G's West Staines Massive outside the community centre before a street race through Staines (obeying the speed limits).

Last night was like that but in Essex, with pubs and bikes.

The ACME Westside destination was some pub in the middle of nowhere where the map just shows a picture of a dragon.  Some people probably went there and they probably drank some beer.

Meanwhile ACME Eastside held a reunion of the brave ACME Anvils fresh from their Easter Arrow efforts.  The Compasses at Great Totham was the original destination but when I arrived it was closed and there seemed to be some sort of midnight flit going on inside.  On checking my 'phone, Huggy had helpfully provided routesheet directions (which of course I didn't follow) to the nearby Chequers in Wickham Bishops.  I arrived there to find fellow Eastsiders Huggy, Oaky and the Hustler tucking into a Wibblers' Dengie Gold.

We also sampled Wibblers' Apprentice and Adnams' Southwold.  The former was its usual drinkable self but the latter was from the bottom of a very old barrel.  We therefore went back to Dengie Gold, despite the barmaid's protestations that it was a bit lively when pulled (yurk yurk), and it was duly declared the Quaffers' Choice.

One thing you can be sure of with the Eastside is a meeting of minds.  We discussed a range of complex topics from my new granddad reading specs, revisiting the incredible fact that Oaky has never seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off through to how much we all enjoy a log fire in a pub.

We left to reasonably heavy rain trying hard to be reasonably heavy sleet but by the time I had descended from the vertiginous heights of Wickham Bishops (61m) it was definitely rain but with a nice strong tailwind.  Nevertheless it did feel a bit more like spring somehow.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2979 on: 07 April, 2018, 09:45:34 pm »
Is anyone going to the ColVelo thing tomorrow ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2980 on: 07 April, 2018, 10:43:58 pm »
Is anyone going to the ColVelo thing tomorrow ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Tomsk & Soupy are going
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2981 on: 08 April, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »
The 2018 Paris-Roubaix was a good 'un, though dry again, with a fair few crashes nevertheless. It was a good do, in a quaint pub. Just about as many ColVelo folk as could be shoe-horned in, but we got front row seats. The beer was good too.  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2982 on: 08 April, 2018, 07:18:52 pm »
Sounds good, I totally forgot else I would have got myself in to gear and got home quicker to make it :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2983 on: 11 April, 2018, 11:27:05 am »
Sorry for my no show on Sunday Tomsk. From what I hear it was a good event. My Gout enduced hobbling about continues sadly....I think it's time to surrender to the daily medication routine, well either that or stop drinking!

« Reply #2984 on: 11 April, 2018, 12:39:56 pm »
Afternoon All

A bit short notice but I have been roped in to doing bike maintenance at an event at my daughters school in Coggeshall on Sunday. Its an ethical / vegan monthly market thing and this month the theme is make do and mend. I've volunteered to do a bit of bike fixing and show a bit of basic bike maintenance (punctures, cables, spoke replacement etc)
Just wondering if anyone is available to give me a hand and a bit of company. Doubt there will be much to do but would be good to see a couple of familiar faces if you could spare an hour or tow. Alternatively you could always just pop in for a nut burger and a soya latte.

Cheers

Details

https://www.facebook.com/events/2021435611441618/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2985 on: 11 April, 2018, 02:23:22 pm »
Afternoon All

A bit short notice but I have been roped in to doing bike maintenance at an event at my daughters school in Coggeshall on Sunday. Its an ethical / vegan monthly market thing and this month the theme is make do and mend. I've volunteered to do a bit of bike fixing and show a bit of basic bike maintenance (punctures, cables, spoke replacement etc)
Just wondering if anyone is available to give me a hand and a bit of company. Doubt there will be much to do but would be good to see a couple of familiar faces if you could spare an hour or tow. Alternatively you could always just pop in for a nut burger and a soya latte.

Cheers

Details

https://www.facebook.com/events/2021435611441618/

What time does it start?  I could be massively hungover as its huggy's surprise 50th birthday party on Saturday (you coming?) but could perhaps help you out.

« Reply #2986 on: 11 April, 2018, 07:22:44 pm »

What time does it start?  I could be massively hungover as its huggy's surprise 50th birthday party on Saturday (you coming?) but could perhaps help you out.

Erm not being funny but I think Huggy's 'surprise' 50th is now out of the bag!Just for completeness where is it and what time? Might b tempted.

Its on from 10 till 2. Doubt there will be much to do so I'm going to take a couple of bits to tinker with and change some handlebars. Might do a demo on how to mend a puncture. Would be good if Tippers could come and demonstrate how not to set up tubeless!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2987 on: 11 April, 2018, 09:28:42 pm »
huggy’s do is at Huggy Towers. Saturday evening, decide on your own definition of evening. Don’t tell him you’re going to turn up, he loves a surprise.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2988 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:26:39 am »
Yesterday evening's trip to the Maldon Beer 'un Cider Fest was most enjoyable despite the moist conditions.  The natives were friendly and keen to know more about what we do, many of them remembering us from last year. 

We sorely missed Oaky cos there was a quiz  :thumbsup:  Cryptic clues were given to identify places in Essex, it was proper hard but I impressed myself by solving one of the clues: Cross the Humber Estuary (10) = HULLBRIDGE  :smug:

The unsolved clues are...

1.   Hoping and praying for a storm (10)
2.   Gentry traveled up an Essex river to get here (5,5)
3.   A bovine knuckle gone bad (5,5)
4.   Dead and buried (7)
5.   What an aircraft might do (7)
6.   I WILL cross the river (eight letters)
7.   The value of a pub (7)
8.   Do this before you pot the ball (9)
9.   Bin there (6)
10. Floating kitchen made from natural resources (10)
11. A herbal river (eight letters)
12. Enjoy an after-dinner drink in South Wales, the Isle of Wight and Essex (7)

See if you can solve the clues before Oaky does!

« Reply #2989 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:37:45 am »
12 is Newport  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2990 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:42:04 am »
5 is Soaring

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2991 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:46:01 am »
The Professor regains some of his credibility after an underwhelming performance yesterday evening  :-*

« Reply #2992 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:52:42 am »
2 could be Seven Kings, albeit the river is spelt differently

« Reply #2993 on: 12 April, 2018, 08:53:40 am »
6 might be Woodford

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2994 on: 12 April, 2018, 09:01:43 am »
2 could be Seven Kings, albeit the river is spelt differently

I don't think so as the Severn isn't an Essex river.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2995 on: 12 April, 2018, 09:02:50 am »
6 might be Woodford

Yes, I'll give you that  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2996 on: 12 April, 2018, 09:11:46 am »
2 Earls Colne?

Oscar's dad