Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526060 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4100 on: 11 October, 2020, 11:17:10 am »
I think Andy C33 and BFC also missed out on a place for the calendar ride?
Andy C3333333333 is one of the calendar 30, BFC has not made any enquiries yet but added as provisional to the 1st November group perm

1. OD
2. huggy
3. Tomsk
4. bobb
5. BFC
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4101 on: 11 October, 2020, 01:56:10 pm »
You've talked me into it!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4102 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:29:10 pm »
I haven't read the entire thread.

I heard today that the Viper is now a private house. Is this true?  :'(

Possibly, although I Facebook messaged them the other day and they said they were opening again soon but who knows?!?

The bloke who owns it also owns The Cricketers, up the road from it - last I head he was planning to reopen as a pub, I think that was on their FB page about 2 weeks ago

Rupert Cherryman
We can%u2019t wait to reopen!
It%u2019ll be back to its former glory - and clean and warm! Traditional ale house with up to 6 ales on the bar plus good pub food!
Keep an eye on our Facebook page and our website www.thevipermillgrewn.co.uk

ETA: He obvs can't get his URL right though! www.thevipermillgreen.co.uk

"Back to it's former glory" what a treat.

Last time I went I was served a very off pint of beer by some kind of non speaking psychopath who looked like he'd rather punch my lights out than apologize and pour me another pint.

The decor and seating had the look and comfort of a below average shed.

I can't wait.

Sounds like here...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4103 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:31:07 pm »
The the 1st November R&R route check the following have expressed an interest I think:

1. OD
2. huggy
3. Tomsk
4. bobb

I think Andy C33 and BFC also missed out on a place for the calendar ride?

As did I, though I might leave it until nearer the date to see if I'm fit enough
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4104 on: 14 October, 2020, 10:18:37 am »
I haven't read the entire thread.

I heard today that the Viper is now a private house. Is this true?  :'(

Possibly, although I Facebook messaged them the other day and they said they were opening again soon but who knows?!?

The bloke who owns it also owns The Cricketers, up the road from it - last I head he was planning to reopen as a pub, I think that was on their FB page about 2 weeks ago

Rupert Cherryman
We can%u2019t wait to reopen!
It%u2019ll be back to its former glory - and clean and warm! Traditional ale house with up to 6 ales on the bar plus good pub food!
Keep an eye on our Facebook page and our website www.thevipermillgrewn.co.uk

ETA: He obvs can't get his URL right though! www.thevipermillgreen.co.uk

"Back to it's former glory" what a treat.

Last time I went I was served a very off pint of beer by some kind of non speaking psychopath who looked like he'd rather punch my lights out than apologize and pour me another pint.

The decor and seating had the look and comfort of a below average shed.

I can't wait.

Sounds like here...

Yeah, but unbelievably it was worse. At least the beer is ok at your gaffe (well, apart from that watered down Bishop Nick stuff).

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4105 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:23:13 am »
The Essex 3R's route check perm ride on Sunday 1st November departing the Witham Labour Hall at 10am is now full.

1. OD
2. huggy
3. Tomsk
4. bobb
5. BFC
6. Deniece

Due to current restrictions there will be no (organised) 'spoons breakfast and post-ride refreshments.  I intend to ride entirely self-sufficient with maybe one outside café or shop stop in Stock.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4106 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:17:54 am »
Due to current restrictions there will be no (organised) 'spoons breakfast and post-ride refreshments.  I intend to ride entirely self-sufficient with maybe one outside café or shop stop in Stock.

Works for me.  I might bring a stove  :o

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4107 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:56:13 pm »

On the Autumnal 100km last weekend, I seemed to be playing the kindly old uncle with three of my start group. In consideration of their need for calories, we had two garage stops, at Steeple Bumpstead and Thaxted plus Walden's Tesco Express. A diversion to Thaxted's (closed) public loos was followed by a dash to Saffron Walden's facilities - I didn't think it fair on the randonneuse in the group for us three men to have a hedge stop! This is something to consider for 1st November ...

« Reply #4108 on: 22 October, 2020, 12:47:32 pm »
It is easy to see why the Eastern Easy Riders have a waiting list for their Wednesday evening chill outs.  A more cosmopolitan and diverse group would be difficult to find - they even count a Welshman among their number !

The original motivation behind EER was to appease Fandango by attending venues no more than 5 miles from Fandango Towers.  This was at a time when Joergen was trying to do much the same with MEMWNS and his own gaff.

With the coming of the Rule of Six and now Tier 2, it has become a necessity (although distance from Fandango Towers does remain a primary consideration).

Last night was our first venture out under Tier 2. 

I arrived 15 minutes late as usual - I have now realised that this is because post-lockdown I am 15 minutes slower on my bike than I wishfully think I am  :facepalm: 

Once I had managed to work out how to access the beer garden (by a gate  :-[), I found Jemango, Leading Seaman Goldstein, Steve "no fluffer required" Fiddler and a Kiwi bloke who looked vaguely familiar sitting at a table under an oversized two bar electric fire.

It turned out that sitting outdoors was perfectly pleasant.  Not only was it a mild evening but with cover above, a bit of shelter from the prevailing wind from the pub itself and the oversized heater, there was no need for the extra clothes we had all brought.

While Goldstein tucked into his Welsh banquet (a bag of ready salted crisps), the rest of us sampled the limited selection of ales - Ruddles, Green King IPA and er Merlot.

Despite the limited selection, we were looked after very well.  The pub itself was near empty and the landlord (who seemed to be out walking his dog) even made an appearance to thank us for turning up.  The last few months have made us all appreciate our good local pubs and being able to meet up in them all the more so it was a relief that we were able to continue with EER even under Tier 2.

We covered our usual diverse range of topics ranging from the Fiddler's new frame to the end of the 747 era while Goldstein sipped thoughtfully on his Merlot. 

In no time it was 9.55 and we were being ushered out.  At this point Tippers pointed out something which I had noticed but not really thought about - when pubs all close at 10, everybody leaves the pub at 10.  This means that any cars at the pub are leaving at the same time and also that most of the traffic on the road is cars leaving other pubs. 

It was my first trip out with my knees covered since before lockdown and it was noticeably colder on the way home into the strengthening wind and occasional light rain flurry.  Of course the corollary to the point above about closing time is that by not long after 10, the roads are deserted.

Hopefully Essex can move itself back out of Tier 2 very soon.  In the meantime, EER still works and that is a very fine thing indeed.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4109 on: 22 October, 2020, 02:44:08 pm »
It is easy to see why the Not Eastern Easy Riders sometimes have a waiting list for their Wednesday evening chill outs.  A more cosmopolitan and diverse group would be difficult to find - they even count an Old Etonian among their number!

As has become my habit I set off just after 1800hrs determined to add a few miles to the 20 mile round trip to The Spiritual Home.  After many years of careful consideration, not to mention much trial and error, I have found the best way in which to add extra miles to an otherwise familiar route is to keep riding away from the target public house.  The evening was mild but the torrential rain we had all endured throughout the day had left many an epic puddle, some of which looked suspiciously like floods.  I decided against Bumfords Lane as I was certain the Lido would be open for business, I also decided fords were to be avoided too, I find achieving 23mph on BJ the Fixie is difficult so attempting to ford a ford would be bound to end in disaster.

I arrived at The Compasses bang on 2000hrs to find none of my chums present.  A member of josser's crew carefully sanitised my picnic bench, on which I immediately deposited copious amounts of sweat, whether this made the said garden furniture more or less coronavirus friendly I cannot judge.  Dee took my beer order, she also pointed out I was sat at the wrong bench, there was one marked "ACME" in the corner.  Internally I bristled, Wednesday evenings aren't ACME events they are MEMWNS events so to calm myself I ordered a packet of dry roasted peanuts.

Then, just like the shopkeeper in Mr Ben, jibers appeared.  To me he looked much as he always does, a bit scruffy and decidedly northern, but he was keen to point out he was different.  He wasn't wearing lycra but civvies; he was practicing for his new job which doesn't allow the wearing of cycle specific clothing.  I shall leave you to guess what jibers' new job is, some of you may know already, but if you need a clue I can reveal a DBS check is required, apparently jibers has passed his, clearly that unfortunate incident with the alpaca was successfully swept under the carpet.

Minutes later Tomsk arrived complaining of wet feet, he'd encountered some of the epic puddles I mentioned earlier.  Tomsk, despite his mild mannered appearance, has the capacity to surprise and so it was yesterday evening.  Lately he has been riding through the centre of Cambridge, following audax routes cunningly devised by that scallywag Wilky Boy.  Cambridge, along with many conurbations, is full of twonks on bicycles not looking where they are going, and pedestrians being equally careless.  Tomsk confessed he found them increasingly tiresome and had on occasion raised his voice!  I looked at Tomsk with what must have been an expression somewhere between amusement, horror and bewilderment.  Was Tomsk about to admit he'd actually sworn at someone?  I therefore asked Tomsk to clarify the words he'd used, perhaps I was about the hear an Anglo Saxon expletive sally forth from Tomsk's carefully trimmed beard!  Not a bit of it!  The aforementioned careless cyclists and pedestrians found themselves admonished with a stridently delivered "I say!" and tinkle of Tomsk's bicycle bell and a stern Paddington stare!

The first pints dispatched and Nick, not Nik's Nick, or even Nik himself but the other Nick arrived from the gloom.  The splendid fella had ridden all the way from Ongar cos that's where he lives.  As far as I know its a long way away, somewhere to the west but not as far west as London.  Nick's rear tyre hadn't behaved well at all and was soft as opposed to hard.  The best sort of tyres are the hard variety.  Anyhow, he and jibers then talked about engineering.  Their conversation about engineering was rudely interrupted by josser who had arrived in his electric car so nursed a sad looking half for the remainder of the evening whilst telling us about the current plight of the licenced trade - it's dismal I'm afraid chaps.

Eileen and occasionally Dee, both looking fetching in their visors, were keen to ply us with beer, we were keen not to appear rude so by the time we left I had imbibed 3.5 pints and having not eaten very much beforehand was feeling a little wobbly as I threw my leg over BJ to pedal home.  The ride home, like the ride from home, was a solitary one, but nonetheless enjoyable.  Much thanks go to the team at The Compasses, long may you service our needs, and to my fellow MEMWNS riders, may you always have Mid-Essex pubs to visit.  Strange and tough times we live in  :-*

« Reply #4110 on: 22 October, 2020, 04:45:00 pm »
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4111 on: 22 October, 2020, 05:09:03 pm »
Rumble time  >:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZwT5XJeR0

;D

This could end up being very sectarian.   You've got you folks in the east, then us lot in the west, then those lot way over to the left in Tier 1 Hertfordshire.  I wonder if we'll start evolving at different rates? 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4112 on: 23 October, 2020, 04:05:30 pm »
Hello, my name is BJ the Fixie, my Daddy is typing this message cos I ain't got no fingers.  I have two questions...

Firstly, I need a new chain, what sort should Daddy buy me?

Secondly, I suspect my front wheel's Mavic Open Pro rim is overly worn, how can Daddy check for sure?

Thank you very much, I think you're all lovely, especially those of you who ride fixies like me  :-*

« Reply #4113 on: 23 October, 2020, 05:04:15 pm »
Firstly, I need a new chain, what sort should Daddy buy me? - A gold one

Secondly, I suspect my front wheel's Mavic Open Pro rim is overly worn, how can Daddy check for sure? - Tell your dad to use his legs to brake and not the brakes. Also, just keep riding, you will know quickly when it is properly worn out!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4114 on: 23 October, 2020, 05:16:06 pm »
Dear Mr Tippers,

You're not being very helpful  >:(

Kindest regards,

BJ

« Reply #4115 on: 23 October, 2020, 05:35:53 pm »
Firstly, I need a new chain, what sort should Daddy buy me?

One that can be yanked

Secondly, I suspect my front wheel's Mavic Open Pro rim is overly worn, how can Daddy check for sure?

Descend North Hill at terminal velocity then pull on the levers as hard as possible.  If the rim doesn’t collapse underneath you, then it’ll be good for a while.

rob

« Reply #4116 on: 23 October, 2020, 06:18:39 pm »
What width chainring and sprocket are you running and how worn are they ?

If your rim feels concave when you run your finger along the brake track then replace it.  BTW Open Pro ?  The early 2000s called and they want their rim back.

« Reply #4117 on: 23 October, 2020, 06:25:22 pm »
I'm replacing my fixed drivetrain tomorrow, assuming the remaining bits arrive tomorrow. I've once again opted for the KMC Z1. Generally get good mileage from the KMC, although I'm sure most singlespeed chains are pretty good. I'm upping to 1/8 width, just because the new chainring only comes in that size.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4118 on: 23 October, 2020, 06:36:52 pm »
1/8 is defo the way to go for a few extra miles

I generally bulk buy chains when they are on special. I've had KMC and Miche and cant really tell the difference between them....my mileage has dropped off over the last year or 2 though. :facepalm:

« Reply #4119 on: 23 October, 2020, 06:46:18 pm »

rob

« Reply #4120 on: 23 October, 2020, 08:00:08 pm »
I have Izumis on the nice bikes, but have been using SRAM recently.   The Izumi is a bit noisy.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4121 on: 24 October, 2020, 02:28:22 pm »
The joiner on the latest versions of  KMC Z1 are ar two piece unit that requires bending the pin plate to engage/disengage the locking plate, it feels wrong during assembly - the plate does not engage fully. I prefer the traditional 3 piece joiners, and have stopped buying KMC single speed chains because of the new joiner design. I have changed to Miche track chains.

I do like the ability to remove chains on the track bikes to cook the chains in grease, my 1980's tin of linklyfe is running low.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4122 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:21:27 pm »
Izumis are nice, KMC stainless steel are too, if you can find them (over £20 each though) - Velosolo used to have them and Francis Thurmer (Hard-to-Find catalogue) in Days of Yore, but I haven't seen them recently. Bog standard SRAM PC1s (formerly Sachs) are cheap as chips and perfectly ok, as are KMC Z1s. I've found Wippermann chains sometimes a bit noisy, no idea why! These are all 1/8 gauge. I've not had any issues with the newer joining link designs, though the old-skool type inspire confidence, not least because you need a bit of effort to remove them.

Re: rim wear, various websites will list minimum metal that's safe (Sheldon Brown, CTC?) but a literal rule of thumb is if it feels concave, replace it. If it starts to weaken, because of uneven wear it'll probably just be a section that you may notice bowing out, possibly cracking and catching the brakes and hopefully not failing totally and blowing the tyre off the rim along with shards of metal, as you decend a steep hill at speed! Modern rims have a wear indicator, usually a groove or indent drilled into the braking surface.

« Reply #4123 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:19:29 am »
Am I missing something? I've removed the bottom bracket from my Genesis Day One. It was a TH BB-7420ST, 68x118mm. My understanding is that is an English thread, or BSA (which interestingly stands for Birmingham Small Arms).

I'm upgrading components, and from what I have read I am able to fit an external bearings BB, to then use with a new compatible crank. The new bottom bracket is a Miche Evo Max, which is described as a 1.37"x24tpi BSA thread. There are only 2 threaded versions of this bottom bracket, English and Italian threaded. I've definitely got the English one, the two sides tighten in different directions.

The issue is, when I start to screw on the drive side bracket, it doesn't go on very far before not wanting to easily screw on further. I tested the non-drive bracket, which goes on a bit further before it also stops being easy to screw on. I'm very reluctant to use force, in case they are somehow not compatible threads. But from what I am reading, there is only one standard that both the bike frame and the bottom bracket should be conforming to.

Am I missing something here?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4124 on: 25 October, 2020, 12:01:41 pm »
Am I missing something? I've removed the bottom bracket from my Genesis Day One. It was a TH BB-7420ST, 68x118mm. My understanding is that is an English thread, or BSA (which interestingly stands for Birmingham Small Arms).

I'm upgrading components, and from what I have read I am able to fit an external bearings BB, to then use with a new compatible crank. The new bottom bracket is a Miche Evo Max, which is described as a 1.37"x24tpi BSA thread. There are only 2 threaded versions of this bottom bracket, English and Italian threaded. I've definitely got the English one, the two sides tighten in different directions.

The issue is, when I start to screw on the drive side bracket, it doesn't go on very far before not wanting to easily screw on further. I tested the non-drive bracket, which goes on a bit further before it also stops being easy to screw on. I'm very reluctant to use force, in case they are somehow not compatible threads. But from what I am reading, there is only one standard that both the bike frame and the bottom bracket should be conforming to.

Am I missing something here?

Paging Mr BFC, paging Mr BFC.  Would Mr BFC please go to the red telephone in the lobby?  A confused cyclist is awaiting your words of wisdom.  Thank you.