Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526110 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4925 on: 15 February, 2022, 07:33:43 pm »
See the ACME awards thread in 'Audax' with the suggestion from Josser for a time capsule to be planted with 'The ACME Tree' on Saturday.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4926 on: 16 February, 2022, 08:45:03 pm »
If anyone is in the environs of Witham early evening tomorrow you may be interested in welcoming back Azur and Cedric from their Knights Templar ride. They were scuppered by the railway engineering works and bus replacement service so couldn’t ride on Saturday. As this is a special event for 8 year old Azur to hopefully complete the ACME Anvil Winter Series Grand Slam in a single season they are riding a post calendar event day helpers’ ride, starting about 9:30 from the train station.
They may be back about 5 or 5:30pm, so an opportunity for an early dinner at ‘spoons.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #4927 on: 16 February, 2022, 11:05:55 pm »
I'm glad they are going to ride it, but the forecast for tomorrow is of gusts up to 35mph - are they aware?

« Reply #4928 on: 17 February, 2022, 07:06:44 pm »
Any news, got round successfully?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4929 on: 17 February, 2022, 07:09:48 pm »
They completed the ride, both looking healthy.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4930 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »

:thumbsup: Fantastic! Chapeau!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4931 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:10:27 pm »
Yep, and looking happy to be finished, at least Cedric was, Azur looked like he wanted to go round again.
Grand Slam badges awarded and special ACME award for Azur they were bouncing out the door back to the train station with huge smiles.

And that’s a wrap for the 2021/22 ACME Anvil Winter Series with 325 validated rides over the four events. Judging by the many complimentary comments received at the Controller’s table at the end of the rides you all enjoyed riding through the winter with us, we enjoyed seeing you and putting the events on for you. Hope to see you again for the next series starting in November  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #4932 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:18:21 pm »
Fantastic news.  Azur’s first audax 100 was my Hertfordshire Greenways 100 in September.  Great to see he got the bug and completed your grand slam of winter 100’s.  I did look out for them on Saturday and now know why I didn’t spot them.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #4933 on: 17 February, 2022, 08:37:06 pm »
Chapeau Azur and family and thank you Huggy, Tomsk and Ted for putting on an excellent winter series as always!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #4934 on: 17 February, 2022, 09:34:05 pm »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #4935 on: 18 February, 2022, 08:52:53 am »
Well done Azur and family.
What an achievement  :thumbsup:

It was my first Winter Anvil series and I loved it.

So if you organised one of the rides, stamped my brevet, rode a route check, or chatted to me on the way round, Thank you  :)

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4936 on: 24 February, 2022, 11:46:18 am »
Yesterday evening at The Cricketers, Danbury, where to start?  If only The Bard had been there to write a report with his usual flourish.  I shall do my best...

The Witham Peloton was small but perfectly formed comprising of me, BFC and AndyC3333333333333333333333.  We anointed BFC as ride leader and as is standard he began by leading us away from the pub, into a headwind. 

Eventually we swung south.  Rather than ascend TMNH by the classic route BFC chose the western escarpment.  A fellow cyclist was spotted as we began up Church Road; BFC was sent across the gap and discovered it was Tomsk.  We arrived at the pub just before 2100hrs to find Not Nik's Nick but the Other Nick had arrived moments before.  Inside, enjoying a lonesome dinner was josser.

The evening continued much as hundreds have done before.  Not Nik's Nick but the Other Nick had a rant about some bunch of robbers trying to charge somewhere, possibly his employer, £20k to do something with cable ties and an ethernet cable just so Not Nik's Nick but the Other Nick didn't have to run up and down stairs all day.  We drank beer, some of which was made from bears,  psyclist missed out big time.  Andy C33333333 and I bemoaned the habits and lifestyles of young people.  Then somehow we discussed Horlicks and came up with several cunning plans to sex it up so the malty drink appeals to a younger wider audience.  josser will be trialing some of our ideas at the Spiritual Home very shortly, Pete and Eileen will be thrilled!

BTW @huggy - in your capacity as Global Finance Director please could you equip the Beer Bitch with a credit card attached to a bank account into which we can all contribute by Standing Order?  We decided this would be a good idea  :thumbsup:

Then something happened.  The very helpful and charming young lady who had been working behind the bar came over to tell us it was time for last orders and would we like more drinks?  Harking back to our previous discussion I asked for a Horlicks.  The young lady apologetically explained she's never heard of Horlicks, it hadn't been covered at school.  Then immediately mounting one of my many hobby horses I asked if she'd been taught basic knot tying at school.  She hadn't.  When I'm President of the Whole World I shall  instruct my Education Secretary to introduce knot tying into the National Curriculum. 

Anyhow, we chaps began talking about basic knots and I contended that being able to tie a bowline is a life skill.  I asked the young lady if she had a couple of metres of rope behind the bar so Grey Sheep, who had arrived during the evening, and I could demonstrate.  She did not.  But a few moments later her colleague arrived at our table with some blue polypropylene rope and we were off!  What fun we had tying bowlines round each other!

And so the evening ended.  We had completely smashed our mission objective that being a bunch of middle aged people talking bollocks at each other with added bikes and beer for good measure.  May it be ever thus.

« Reply #4937 on: 26 February, 2022, 08:27:40 pm »
Fabulous write up there and many thanks!

« Reply #4938 on: 26 February, 2022, 08:34:59 pm »
I hope you covered the figure of 8, the Italian Hitch, the clove hitch, the double fisherman’s, the alpine butterfly amongst your knots demonstrated.

« Reply #4939 on: 26 February, 2022, 08:43:27 pm »
And that the bowlines were all proper bowlines, none of those cowboy bowlines allowed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4940 on: 27 February, 2022, 08:59:20 am »
We only had time for the basics.  We can always cover more advanced knots at a later date!

« Reply #4941 on: 03 March, 2022, 05:13:51 pm »
I have a bicycle question. I'm thinking there's one or two amidst the ACME fraternity who might be knowledgable in this domain.

I suspect I may need to start commuting again in the near future. Since that last happened my commuting bike has been upgraded and become my main Audax bike, and I'm louth to start running it up and down a mucky towpath once more. So I'm looking to convert my original commuting bike, an early 1990s mountain bike, into a fixed gear beauty. It currently has a triple chainset, which is rather overkill for a flat commute, and is a pain to keep clean.

My dilemma is about ensuring I get a straight chainline. I've tried the Sheldon Brown site, but that's not really helped in a meaningful way.

My thoughts on the components are:

- rear wheel - ask BFC if he would like to build up a 26" wheel using a White ENO Eccentric hub - it's a 135mm width rear axle
- crank - possibly I would use the Sturmey Archer Track crank

What measurements do I need from the bottom bracket (I don't yet know what it is, but will find out this weekend), the proposed crank, and the hub, to ensure a straight chain line?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4942 on: 03 March, 2022, 05:29:51 pm »
I'm going to love BFC's reply to your questions.  I doubt I'll understand much of what he says, and to be frank I'm not that interested in your chainline, but I shall enjoy the thoroughness of his responses  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4943 on: 04 March, 2022, 07:38:37 am »
I have a bicycle question. I'm thinking there's one or two amidst the ACME fraternity who might be knowledgable in this domain.

I suspect I may need to start commuting again in the near future. Since that last happened my commuting bike has been upgraded and become my main Audax bike, and I'm louth to start running it up and down a mucky towpath once more. So I'm looking to convert my original commuting bike, an early 1990s mountain bike, into a fixed gear beauty. It currently has a triple chainset, which is rather overkill for a flat commute, and is a pain to keep clean.

My dilemma is about ensuring I get a straight chainline. I've tried the Sheldon Brown site, but that's not really helped in a meaningful way.

My thoughts on the components are:

- rear wheel - ask BFC if he would like to build up a 26" wheel using a White ENO Eccentric hub - it's a 135mm width rear axle
- crank - possibly I would use the Sturmey Archer Track crank

What measurements do I need from the bottom bracket (I don't yet know what it is, but will find out this weekend), the proposed crank, and the hub, to ensure a straight chain line?

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/173095/

Have look on here for possible chain line crank info.

According to interweb chain line for the ENO is 47.5mm

First question is what width is your bottom bracket shell? I'm guessing 68mm for early 90's so I would go with 113mm spindle length. With a triple crank you can mount the chain ring on either the outside or middle ring. This would give you +/- 5mm chain line adjustment.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4944 on: 04 March, 2022, 08:50:13 am »
The problem is the lack of adjustment at the dropouts, hence the eccentric hub. It seems a spendy and non-intuitive way to repurpose an old mountain bike, you might be better finding a second hand frame with horizontal dropouts. Something like a Genesis Day One, disc or non disc version. Even a new one of those is probably cheaper than what you propose and you'd still have a mountain bike. N+1 is always the best choice.

« Reply #4945 on: 04 March, 2022, 09:54:33 am »
According to interweb chain line for the ENO is 47.5mm

Thank you for this and the other guidance. I've just found the same info, and the relevant page on the Sheldon Brown site which explain chainline ... previously I was looking at a page full of numbers focussing on the hub. If I go down this route I just need my bottom bracket measurements, and some figures for the proposed Sturmey Archer crank.

The problem is the lack of adjustment at the dropouts, hence the eccentric hub. It seems a spendy and non-intuitive way to repurpose an old mountain bike, you might be better finding a second hand frame with horizontal dropouts. Something like a Genesis Day One, disc or non disc version. Even a new one of those is probably cheaper than what you propose and you'd still have a mountain bike. N+1 is always the best choice.

That's exactly what I did 8 years ago. Paid £550 for a new Day One for use commuting. It has now done circa 35,000km, with parts being replaced as they broke or got upgraded. The only original part of it left is the frame. But as mentioned it is now my main Audax bike configured for longer rides, and I'm not keen to inflict the towpath commute on it.

You got me thinking though. Problem is I don't want another bike, hence trying to repurpose one that no longer gets ridden in any meaningful way. I think I'll finish the investigation on compatibility of the crank, work out the spend, then make a decision. The savings on the commute by cycling rather than taking the train work out at over £17 per day, so some spend is justifiable.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4946 on: 04 March, 2022, 12:08:05 pm »
The White ENO hubs have different chainline for fixed (46.5) or freewheel (48) on the 135mm OLN versions.

https://www.whiteind.com/product-category/hubs/eno-hubs/

There is a useful chainline look up table on the bottom left corner of this truvative (OE brand owned by SRAM) document for common factory fit crankset/BB.

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/2005_cr-5arm-e-r2.pdf

If the BB shell width measures at 68mm it is almost certain to be a BSA/ISO (common) threaded type - 1.370" x 24tpi.

No problem building a wheel for you if you decide to go ahead.

« Reply #4947 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:03:32 pm »
Hello all,

I have purchased a single speed, so any single speed advice would be good! Will defo MEMWNS on this one soon. I got a Pearson Touché!

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4948 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:15:54 am »
Hello all,

I have purchased a single speed, so any single speed advice would be good! Will defo MEMWNS on this one soon. I got a Pearson Touché!

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Nice Harry Rowland wheels!  I have some Harry's, obviously I'm a BFC man now but before I saw the light Harry was my wheel man.  Did you buy the bike new or secondhand?

« Reply #4949 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:19:58 am »
Hello all,

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Nice Harry Rowland wheels!  I have some Harry's, obviously I'm a BFC man now but before I saw the light Harry was my wheel man.  Did you buy the bike new or secondhand?

Yes! I have a Harry myself on front of the Giant - obs I am a BFC man myself now though. Its second hand, off of the great Bay.