Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526105 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4950 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:21:48 am »
Hello all,

I have purchased a single speed, so any single speed advice would be good! Will defo MEMWNS on this one soon. I got a Pearson Touché!

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Nice Harry Rowland wheels!  I have some Harry's, obviously I'm a BFC man now but before I saw the light Harry was my wheel man.  Did you buy the bike new or secondhand?

Yes! I have a Harry myself on front of the Giant - obs I am a BFC man myself now though. Its second hand, off of the great Bay.

Tasty purchase, well done!

« Reply #4951 on: 24 March, 2022, 10:46:31 am »
Hello all,

I have purchased a single speed, so any single speed advice would be good! Will defo MEMWNS on this one soon. I got a Pearson Touché!

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Nice Harry Rowland wheels!  I have some Harry's, obviously I'm a BFC man now but before I saw the light Harry was my wheel man.  Did you buy the bike new or secondhand?

Yes! I have a Harry myself on front of the Giant - obs I am a BFC man myself now though. Its second hand, off of the great Bay.

Tasty purchase, well done!

Thanks! Will try to collect tonight :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4952 on: 24 March, 2022, 08:06:13 pm »
Hello all,

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Looks pretty tidy to me. :thumbsup: I've seen a few Pearson fixies in the AUK ranks over the years. One issue that springs to mind from talking to riders that maybe didn't take well to single/fixed, is sore knees from pushing too hard on hills. When you're used to gears it might feel wrong initially to turn the cranks so slowly, and then be tempted to put in a burst of power to speed it up. Don't! Cultivate a smooooth and even power delivery at low cadences.

« Reply #4953 on: 25 March, 2022, 12:39:57 am »
Hello all,

Pictures.

I hope you all like it.

Looks pretty tidy to me. :thumbsup: I've seen a few Pearson fixies in the AUK ranks over the years. One issue that springs to mind from talking to riders that maybe didn't take well to single/fixed, is sore knees from pushing too hard on hills. When you're used to gears it might feel wrong initially to turn the cranks so slowly, and then be tempted to put in a burst of power to speed it up. Don't! Cultivate a smooooth and even power delivery at low cadences.

Hi Tomsk,

Many thanks and I will bear that in mind - its the kind of advice I'm looking for!

Collected it this evening and just home now, it's very clean and  the guy has had it since new and has looked after it. I have some mudguards, (SKS Chromoplastic ones) that I'm pretty sure will fit and I'll probably change the pedals from the platform/spd hybrid ones to spd-l's. I've got spare lights so that's good, just a Wahoo mount and it should be good to go. Very exciting! Longer term I'll probably have a dynohub added, just for convenience.

We're away for a few days now and back on Monday, so I will hopefully bring it to work on Tuesday and then out for a run for MEMWNS on Wednesday, to meet you guys.

Think I might also award it the coveted ACME luxury mudflaps that I bought recently. Been saving those for proper mudguards and not the raceblades I have on the other bike. Mmmm, more than one bike. Mmmmmm.

Ta,
Nick.

« Reply #4954 on: 28 March, 2022, 06:55:09 pm »
OK, so I took her out tonight and it all feels very different. Quite an agressive riding position (for me), but not unreasonably uncomfortable. Eventually, I will probably raise the bars if I can but if not, I think I can get used to it, if only for the commute. I lost feeling in my big toes quicker that I would on the geared bike but a few toe wiggles cured this.

I'll probably take it to work tomorrow for a real tester if the weather isn't too awful. Mudguards need some extra parts before I can fit them. Hopefully will be out for MEMWNS.

What should I call her? The bloke at work that spotted it for me is called A. McDonald - maybe I should name it after him!
Names, please.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #4955 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:05:31 pm »
Being of a certain age...

on telly there was the cartoon Touché Turtle with his sidekick Dum Dum, a quote from wikipedia:

The series did not follow any lasting timeline or continuity. Touché had adventures in the Old West and in medieval eras, as well as battling villains during the modern era of the 1960s.

A running gag in nearly every episode showed him keeping a telephone inside his shell, and it would ring at inopportune moments when someone called for help. Touché would politely excuse himself, duck into his shell, and take the call regardless of where he was at the time.

« Reply #4956 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:23:52 pm »
Being of a certain age...

on telly there was the cartoon Touché Turtle with his sidekick Dum Dum, a quote from wikipedia:

The series did not follow any lasting timeline or continuity. Touché had adventures in the Old West and in medieval eras, as well as battling villains during the modern era of the 1960s.

A running gag in nearly every episode showed him keeping a telephone inside his shell, and it would ring at inopportune moments when someone called for help. Touché would politely excuse himself, duck into his shell, and take the call regardless of where he was at the time.

Thanks. I very vaguely remember that and it took me a while! Its a contender!

« Reply #4957 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:46:08 pm »
OK, I've got it - she is now a he, and he will be called...

... drum roll

... Bill Thompson!

Why? Bill Thompson originally voiced Touché Turtle and we happen to share the same birthday - also, my dog is called Billy.

So, there we have it - thank you, BFC! :thumbsup:

felstedrider

« Reply #4958 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:34:19 am »
For some reason we were discussing Hong Kong Phoey at work the other day.   I had forgotten about Touche Turtle.

« Reply #4959 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:46:17 am »
I’ll take inspiration from Danger Mouse and say the bike should be called Ernest Penfold.

« Reply #4960 on: 09 April, 2022, 12:08:20 am »
Anyway. Bill has started making annoying clciking sounds that are felt through the cranks (and heard) when out of the saddle. No side-to-side play in the cranks and oiling the chain stopped it for a while. Any ideas what this is? Chain tension, maybe?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4961 on: 09 April, 2022, 07:15:49 am »
Anyway. Bill has started making annoying clciking sounds that are felt through the cranks (and heard) when out of the saddle. No side-to-side play in the cranks and oiling the chain stopped it for a while. Any ideas what this is? Chain tension, maybe?

Chain line not quite as it should be or a tight chain link?

« Reply #4962 on: 09 April, 2022, 09:47:07 am »
Thanks, I will check those things

BFC

« Reply #4963 on: 09 April, 2022, 01:08:34 pm »
Nick,
All information points towards a chain not getting on with the sprocket or chainring!
Try to identify any patterns in the noise - is it related to every pedal stroke (chain/sprockets/chainring not getting on) a single crank position (crank/chainring problem), or is it every 2-ish crank rotations (chain problem).
These problems rarely show up with the transmission off load (like when the bike is on a workstand!) but worth spinning the cranks and watching the way the chain behaves (always do this after popping the wheel out!).
Definitely inspect the chain, look for obvious defects (missing plate, missing roller), less obvious things like cracked plates and loose/worn rollers.
Inspect the chainring and sprocket - hooked teeth can snag the chain under load. I have had teeth crack and disappear on worn fixed sprockets as well.
Have you put a chain wear/stretch checking tool on it?
Make sure the wheel is in straight.
Check crank and chainring fixing bolts, check freewheel for play.

What chainring (no of teeth and bcd), sprocket and chain length is it running - you will need to know this if ordering parts, but you may want to tweak gearing if buying new bits.

I assume it is a 3/32" chain (because it is single speed rather than fixed), there are single speed variants of this size and should be used in preference to a "7 speed" chain of the same width - the derailleur version is designed to be more flexible and do tend to stretch more.
Avoid over tensioning the chain - which prevents the lubrication in the chain flowing back between the pins and bushes on the off load section of the chain run.

« Reply #4964 on: 09 April, 2022, 07:36:32 pm »
BFC,

Many thanks as usual for your most comprehensive help.

The noise was regular last time I rode it (yesterday), seemed to be two clicks at a certain point in the crank revolution. The chain is a bit dirty so perhaps I should take it off and clean all the transmission (more on that in a minute), but it all looks okay. The sprocket/chainring teeth look good to me with plenty of wear left in them, pic of chainring here and sprocket here.

Chain comes up okay on the wear tool (no go), wheel was straight.

Oddly, the crank fixing bolts were a teeny bit loose, I thought. They were tight but just needed nipping up, maybe a 1/32 of a turn? Maybe that was it. The freewheel has no play in it and the chainring bolts were tight.

I have 48 teeth on the chainring and 18 on the sprocket, the BCD looks like 130mm. I haven't measured the chain length yet, but the inside plates look like a 3/32" to me with my vernier and bad eyesight.

If I want to split the chain, how do i do this. There seem to be two chain rivets that are prouder on the outer plate than the others, do I just push one of these out?

Thanks,
Nick.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4965 on: 09 April, 2022, 07:51:23 pm »
BFC, this is a serious question about SS/FW.

I  know fixed wheel bikes are pretty much a shit 100 year old throwback, but why is it they suffer from noisy out of adjustment drive trains when derailleur gears where the chain is thinner and always misaligned with regard to chainring and sprockets are quieter and smoother? Is it component quality or a different chain and sprocket design?

felstedrider

« Reply #4966 on: 09 April, 2022, 08:17:59 pm »
An 1/8th chain will have a bit more give and will rattle less, depending on which one you choose.  All 3 of my fixed bikes have the whole drivetrain 1/8th.  Keep the chain clean and lubricated and keep it tensioned properly.

On the creaking front I have 2 Dolan FXEs which I think are the same frame as the touché (away !) and they have always creaked a bit.

I know Carlos is taking the piss but a well set up fixed runs silently and is more mechanically efficient than a geared drivetrain.

« Reply #4967 on: 09 April, 2022, 08:45:09 pm »

... I  know fixed wheel bikes are pretty much a shit 100 year old throwback...

Are you saying I've got a shit bike? :-D

felstedrider

« Reply #4968 on: 09 April, 2022, 09:25:07 pm »

Ignore him.  I’ve done PBP on one of those.

« Reply #4969 on: 09 April, 2022, 09:26:23 pm »
He he, I’m only joking

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4970 on: 10 April, 2022, 07:07:26 am »
I know it's a difficult question to answer🙄
I think chain tension is critical, but also there may be a psychological element. Because it's a simple drive train it is expected that it will be very smooth and if it isn't, it fails.

Well, it's a failure from me anyway, 'cos any bike where you have to brake or slow going downhill suffers from a very fundamental design fault. (That's just one of them btw.)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4971 on: 10 April, 2022, 08:35:42 am »

That's a relative in the painting isn't it?  ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4972 on: 10 April, 2022, 09:25:16 am »

That's a relative in the painting isn't it?  ;D

It's Nick's great-great-great Grandfather demanding his money back from Brixton Bikes for selling him the first single speed cycle.

BFC

« Reply #4973 on: 10 April, 2022, 10:16:45 am »

If I want to split the chain, how do i do this. There seem to be two chain rivets that are prouder on the outer plate than the others, do I just push one of these out?

That joiner looks like the KMC design used on their single speed chains.
The back piece has the two pins permanently fitted which need to be bent towards each other to release the thicker plate with the two keyhole slots.
Then persuade to outer plate to come off whilst keeping the link bent (this is the tricky bit!).
Technique I use is to get the link near to the sprocket with the chain very slack, stop the wheel turning, bend the link with one hand by pushing against the sprocket and pick the plate off with a set of long nose pliers.

Tomsk had one of those plates vanish on the Horsepower helpers ride (1/8" version of chain) after fixing a puncture at Newmarket - symptom was a clicking every second (ish) crank rotation under load, we never figured out how the plate escaped, they are a pain to remove!
I prefer the traditional joiner design - three piece version with the separate spring clip holding it all together - a lot easier to dismantle when you want to.

Single speed chains use the traditional pin, bush and roller design whilst derailleur chains have a drawn section on both inner plates that replace the bush which gives more sideways flex - the design was first used on the Sedis Sport chains (in the 80s I seem to remember).
The different design does have implications for how chain lube enters/exits the chain - you need to get the stuff onto the plates on single speed versions to lubricate the pin/bush interface, on derailleur chains the lube will find its way from the roller to the pin past the split bush.

« Reply #4974 on: 10 April, 2022, 12:58:58 pm »

That's a relative in the painting isn't it?  :-D

It's Nick's great-great-great Grandfather demanding his money back from Brixton Bikes for selling him the first single speed cycle.

:-D He was a much-feared man after being crossed by Brixton Cycles with such a shit bike!