Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526090 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5000 on: 12 April, 2022, 04:29:14 pm »
My fears are confirmed, this is the thread that keeps on giving.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5001 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:14:16 pm »
Today's update on the ACME noisy transmission sub thread: My bike this time.

Having been forced into replacing the chain on one of my bikes after the Horsepower 200 (>1% stretch), I was trying not to wear it out before the Arrow, but decided a pre Arrow ride would be wise.
Chain noise was bloody awful, but it avoided any need to use a bell to alert pedestrians on the flat or uphill, a continuous growl whilst under load, but silent off load. Really sounded/felt to be coming from the chainring and amplified by the acoustics of the frame. Useful for judging the consistency of torque through the pedal stroke and left/right balance though.

Anyway, noise was slowly reducing over the 36 mile trundle, but got home and had a look. The transmission is now silent having flipped the sprocket (Miche splined type), the sprocket teeth were hooked but well lubricated (aka filthy). The new spare is still in the toolbox.

Beer at the Spiritual Home was as good as ever, the beer menu format has been updated.

« Reply #5002 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:55:06 pm »
I was following a rider on the Horsepower 200 that was riding fixed. I'm always both impressed and dumbfounded at riding fixed. I could ride a freewheel bike like I did as a kid 50 years ago. However, fixed. Why? It's got to be tougher. I consider myself an ACME affiliate member on account of the fact that my grandparents are from Essex 😉

felstedrider

« Reply #5003 on: 12 April, 2022, 06:12:53 pm »
I became quicker when I started riding fixed.   

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5004 on: 12 April, 2022, 06:32:40 pm »
I actually rode the HP200 helpers ride, and then did duties at Dunmow followed by control at Snetterton on the day.

Fixed riding is fun, and the bikes have less to go wrong (that earplugs don't fix?). I prefer fixed for winter/shit weather - it gives feedback on the level of grip through the pedals. After riding in shit weather its a lot cheaper to replace the transmission than my 10 and 11 speed stuff.

Riding fixed in a mixed group on the road can get messy - geared bikes/riders often get in the way of continuous steady pedalling (during gear changes, bottle grabbing, random stopping of pedalling for no reason etc). I choose the most appropriate bike (and wheels) for each ride, brake usage is always higher when riding in a group though.

« Reply #5005 on: 12 April, 2022, 06:47:16 pm »
I completely understand BFC,  the salient points you make and agree. I too choose a bike for the conditions. I'm not keen on riding my Longstaff with its bar end shifter on group rides, solo it's lovely.
I get the points that running fixed gives more feedback. My current fleet  run campg 10 speed triple 105 7000  series and grx46/30. The wet conditions on the Horsepower 200  recently,  I sprayed the chain with wd40 before putting in the back of my van  just to stop it rusting

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5006 on: 12 April, 2022, 07:09:40 pm »
However, fixed. Why? It's got to be tougher.

I like fixed because it is brainless. You are never in the wrong gear, instead it's just a case of "just f**king do it".

For example I've towed groups into Fenland headwinds on fixed and it's easier because you just have to keep pedalling. Whereas a geared ride gets onto front and they will stop pedalling for a moment (without thinking) and immediately slow down.

On rolling terrain you have to keep the momentum on the ups and downs. I remember passing lots of geared riders on downhills near the end of PBP because they would get to the crest of a roller and stop pedalling, hoping gravity would take over. Well yes, but all the momentum gets lost. On fixed there is no choice but to keep pedalling and maintain the momentum. (There's also a difference between pedalling with effort and relaxing so the legs are getting pushed round.)

Maintenance is easier. Parts are cheaper.

Unless there's crazy climbing it's possible to ride with geared rides. On the return from Brest on PBP I got into a group with two French riders for a leg, all three of us taking equal pulls. I would easy up on the climbs to keep us together, they would easy back a bit on the downs to keep it together. It benefited us all and we spent the whole leg going past groups.

And it's fun:  https://youtu.be/E02jBy2eFxM ;D
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5007 on: 12 April, 2022, 07:16:28 pm »
Well, thank you one and all for all your helpful and entertaining comments!

I think everything is good, after following all your suggestions: wheel alignment, play on sprocket, bb, chain, chainring bolts, etc, I am going to change the bb. maybe its the pedals but I doubt it.

Pics here and here of what I have, looks like there's nothing wrong with it at all but I might get a cheap one just to see. Halfords do this. that I could collect tonight but has a slightly shorter axle and I'm not sure the thread is right, mine saysBSA 1.37" x 24T. Would like this done for MEMWNS tomorrow! And I have tomorrow off!

Help me. Otherwise I can get Wiggle next day delivery.

Thank you, guys,
Nick. :-*

EDIT: Or maybe this one? Can collect tomorrow. They do a 110 one.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5008 on: 12 April, 2022, 08:15:41 pm »
Well, thank you one and all for all your helpful and entertaining comments!

I think everything is good, after following all your suggestions: wheel alignment, play on sprocket, bb, chain, chainring bolts, etc, I am going to change the bb. maybe its the pedals but I doubt it.

Pics here and here of what I have, looks like there's nothing wrong with it at all but I might get a cheap one just to see. Halfords do this. that I could collect tonight but has a slightly shorter axle and I'm not sure the thread is right, mine saysBSA 1.37" x 24T. Would like this done for MEMWNS tomorrow! And I have tomorrow off!

Help me. Otherwise I can get Wiggle next day delivery.

Thank you, guys,
Nick. :-*

EDIT: Or maybe this one? Can collect tomorrow. They do a 110 one.
Bnib

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5009 on: 12 April, 2022, 09:00:21 pm »
Oh, blast!

Worse thing is that I just know with my luck I'll put the bloody thing in and it'll still make a noise!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5010 on: 13 April, 2022, 03:34:37 pm »
I told you it was gonna be shit, but did you listen?

I've years of ACME and Audax experience of fixed and single speed riders telling me how good it is to ride fixed, how it makes you a smoother rider (that'll be why your knees hurt and you're weaving all over the road then) how it's so reliable etc, etc.

That's as they squeak along having hour long discussions about gear inches or the problem with their chain alignment, both easily solved by getting a range of gears like a normal rider btw. Or I wait for ages for them to fix a puncture "cos they're pissing about with getting the wheel out from under the mudguards or the chain tension is wrong.

Or waiting while they pick themselves up of the road when they've fallen off, "I'm on fixed, give me some room".

Or, "I've riden AAA events on fixed" or "PBP",  like I'm gonna be impressed🙄 No, you're a bigger idiot than I thought you were.

But at least it's entertainment I suppose. Seeing a fixed gear rider on a long descent for one.

At least the true Doyens of fixed gear riding like BFC and Tomsk, really do ride smoothly and just get on with it, they do impress me.

But the rest .......

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5011 on: 13 April, 2022, 03:40:25 pm »
Tough day?  Needed a rant?  Feeling better now?  ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5012 on: 13 April, 2022, 03:46:30 pm »
Definitely  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5013 on: 13 April, 2022, 03:47:33 pm »
I told you it was gonna be shit, but did you listen?

I've years of ACME and Audax experience of fixed and single speed riders telling me how good it is to ride fixed, how it makes you a smoother rider (that'll be why your knees hurt and you're weaving all over the road then) how it's so reliable etc, etc.

That's as they squeak along having hour long discussions about gear inches or the problem with their chain alignment, both easily solved by getting a range of gears like a normal rider btw. Or I wait for ages for them to fix a puncture "cos they're pissing about with getting the wheel out from under the mudguards or the chain tension is wrong.

Or waiting while they pick themselves up of the road when they've fallen off, "I'm on fixed, give me some room".

Or, "I've riden AAA events on fixed" or "PBP",  like I'm gonna be impressed No, you're a bigger idiot than I thought you were.

But at least it's entertainment I suppose. Seeing a fixed gear rider on a long descent for one.

At least the true Doyens of fixed gear riding like BFC and Tomsk, really do ride smoothly and just get on with it, they do impress me.

But the rest .......
Parklife !
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5014 on: 13 April, 2022, 03:50:04 pm »
Yes.
I'm bracing myself for Wickham Bishops tomorrow. Always a heavy day.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5015 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:05:18 pm »
Yes.

I hope you're not offering an excuse for not turning out this evening???

There's bound to be some fixie riders you can abuse.  Also some fixie riders might not be too happy with you for not including them in the list of fixie doyens which currently only includes Tomsk and BFC!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5016 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:11:01 pm »
They can be unhappy if they want, Tomsk and BFC are at the peak of fixed gear riding.

Anyway, its too easy to abuse fixed gear riders, they're low hanging fruit and it's a 06:30 start for me tomorrow.

felstedrider

« Reply #5017 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:33:52 pm »
Yes.

There's bound to be some fixie riders you can abuse.  Also some fixie riders might not be too happy with you for not including them in the list of fixie doyens which currently only includes Tomsk and BFC!

*Cough*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5018 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:35:54 pm »
Yes.

*Cough*

@Fandango told you^^^  ;D

felstedrider

« Reply #5019 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:37:35 pm »
Yes.

*Cough*

Yeah I'm going home to smash mine up after having the error of my ways pointed out to me.

(I am riding gears today)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5020 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:40:55 pm »
Yes.

*Cough*

Yeah I'm going home to smash mine up after having the error of my ways pointed out to me.

(I am riding gears today)

There's hope for you yet, even the most severe delusions can be overcome, given time.

« Reply #5021 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:57:43 pm »
Bill is back. :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5022 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:58:20 pm »
Bill is back. :thumbsup:

Silent as a grave?

« Reply #5023 on: 13 April, 2022, 04:59:01 pm »

Oscar's dad