Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526164 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5050 on: 22 April, 2022, 02:38:46 pm »
My Italy Divide adventure is feeling rather close, as I’m sat on a plane in Luton. Two years later than planned.

For those who have been asking, the race can be followed at
http://trackleaders.com/italydivide22f.php

Start time is 11:30 on Saturday, Italian time.

Have a fun time!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5051 on: 22 April, 2022, 03:09:59 pm »
My Italy Divide adventure is feeling rather close, as I’m sat on a plane in Luton. Two years later than planned.

For those who have been asking, the race can be followed at
http://trackleaders.com/italydivide22f.php

Start time is 11:30 on Saturday, Italian time.

Best of luck with it. Looking forward to tales of adventure and hardship, disaster and triumph.

« Reply #5052 on: 22 April, 2022, 06:41:12 pm »

As I sit waiting for pizza with 170 riders from a plethora of nations, ‘fun’ isn’t what I’m thinking I’ve got in store just now. But hopefully once the pedals start turning any trepidation will dissipate!

Best of luck with it. Looking forward to tales of adventure and hardship, disaster and triumph.

Tales of adventure and triumph hopefully 😄

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5053 on: 24 April, 2022, 02:15:00 am »
It’s gone 0200 here and you’re making great progress at about 220km in. Looks like you might be resting now as slightly off course.

Seems you got off a little later than planned and I hope you’re enjoying things now

felstedrider

« Reply #5054 on: 24 April, 2022, 05:42:33 pm »
Through Rome.  400+ done.

« Reply #5055 on: 24 April, 2022, 06:01:53 pm »
Its fascinating dot watching.. Not sure the wife and kids agree though.
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5056 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:11:56 pm »
Still plenty of places available on The Woodman and Daughter for next Saturday. 50km off-road route checked today on 28mm tyres - all good, though some care is needed on the gravelly parts of the Flitch Way. The worst bit of the Stort towpath has been re-surfaced and it's all dry now anyway.

The bluebells are coming on and may just be at their peak next weekend!

« Reply #5057 on: 24 April, 2022, 11:41:45 pm »
Hi Tom,

Event page says its closed, but if there are places left I might be able to do it (need to check with family). I'd like to do this on the single speed to start building up the distance a bit on it. Also, could my brother come along (again, this is a maybe), as a non-audaxer? You can force him to pay premium rates for the pleasure :thumbsup: :-D

Ta,
Nick.

« Reply #5058 on: 24 April, 2022, 11:43:08 pm »
Event page says its closed, but if there are places left I might be able to do it (need to check with family).
+1

« Reply #5059 on: 25 April, 2022, 11:00:19 am »
pysclist underway again after a decent sleep

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5060 on: 25 April, 2022, 12:39:54 pm »
He's going along very well, extra kudos for being the only singlespeed rider in the field too  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5061 on: 25 April, 2022, 03:32:58 pm »

As I sit waiting for pizza with 170 riders from a plethora of nations, ‘fun’ isn’t what I’m thinking I’ve got in store just now. But hopefully once the pedals start turning any trepidation will dissipate!

Tales of adventure and triumph hopefully 😄

I've just checked and there's nothing on Strava so therefore, according to the rulz, it hasn't happened yet.  You dot watchers could be watching a bear who has pinched psyclist's bike, I hope the man himself is OK!

« Reply #5062 on: 26 April, 2022, 05:43:57 am »
All good. Technical issue getting rides onto Strava, but hopefully work that one out in the next day or two. In the meantime, I’m off again after a brief stop for espresso and croissant.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5063 on: 26 April, 2022, 06:26:50 am »
All good. Technical issue getting rides onto Strava, but hopefully work that one out in the next day or two. In the meantime, I’m off again after a brief stop for espresso and croissant.

Phew!  ;D :-*

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5064 on: 26 April, 2022, 10:33:29 am »
He's going along very well, extra kudos for being the only singlespeed rider in the field too  :thumbsup:

What a Wally!

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5065 on: 26 April, 2022, 11:32:25 am »
What a Wally!
I'm inclined to agree (and that's as a SS rider myself)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5066 on: 26 April, 2022, 11:38:21 am »

What a Wally!

Isn't "audacious" a better description?  There's our man fighting off ITALIAN BEARS with a single cog and you lot are calling him a wally!  :o

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5067 on: 26 April, 2022, 01:02:23 pm »

What a Wally!

Isn't "audacious" a better description?  There's our man fighting off ITALIAN BEARS with a single cog and you lot are calling him a wally!  :o

I'd be more worried about the smell of bins attracting bears than being on a single speed ;)  ;D

Regards,

Joergen

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5068 on: 26 April, 2022, 02:23:46 pm »

What a Wally!

If they are truly Italian, the bears should just run away. :P

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5069 on: 26 April, 2022, 02:38:12 pm »

What a Wally!

If they are truly Italian, the bears should just run away. :P

Good point, Italian bears are probably lovers not fighters.  Rather than being eaten psyclist will probably get ravished!

« Reply #5070 on: 26 April, 2022, 06:44:33 pm »
He’s more than halfway now.

« Reply #5071 on: 27 April, 2022, 08:43:39 am »
I'll chuck this here instead of starting a new thread, have any ACMEites cycled along from point clear to frinton?

Wondering what the sea wall/beach front route is like as getting ferry from Mersea to point clear then cycling to frinton

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5072 on: 27 April, 2022, 10:48:48 am »
I'll chuck this here instead of starting a new thread, have any ACMEites cycled along from point clear to frinton?

Wondering what the sea wall/beach front route is like as getting ferry from Mersea to point clear then cycling to frinton

I've done a bit of cycling around that area but there is a few bits I haven't really explored.

I used the Brightlingsea Ferry to Mersea a while back details here https://www.strava.com/activities/2564939232
I'm not sure there is a ferry to Clear Point itself.
Once on the Brightlingsea side there is a certain change in traffic attitude to cyclists for the worst.

I've cycled along the sea wall towards St Osyth until the concrete ran out and it turned in to terrain I didn't want to Brompton along, bigger bike with suitable tyres should be OK I think picture in here: https://www.strava.com/activities/5717570054

Heading all the way to Frinton is no problem from St Osyth/Jaywick. There's concrete track all the way with some being cycle path, some slab concrete with a few big holes to avoid. Also note a lot of built up sand too.  I think there is a section through Clacton that is on road.

Some more details (and some pictures of the surfaces I think) on the following rides:
https://www.strava.com/activities/251617709
https://www.strava.com/activities/629703646
https://www.strava.com/activities/2549714921

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5073 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:23:41 pm »
Ah thats brilliant.

The ferry goes to point clear and then brightlingsea, I'll be on my tourer so probably head to Jaywick as quite interested to see it and then follow the sea front

« Reply #5074 on: 27 April, 2022, 05:28:31 pm »
Every time I look at the tracking,  Pysclist seems to be stopped in a Piazza, or a ristorante