Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526134 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5175 on: 23 May, 2022, 07:50:13 pm »
I would have taken out angle grinder and cut the valve off

;D

Also useful if you lose the key to your lock / forget the combination!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5176 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:30:39 pm »
I was faced with an interesting dilemma after about 250km of the Welsh 600km at the weekend. I'm running tubed tyres, and had a rear flat. When I tried to unscrew the valve nut, it was stuck solid. Even the rider I was with couldn't budge it.

What would you have done?

As luck would have it, the other rider produced folding pliers. These worked a breeze. They were also very useful in removing a stubborn flint from the tyre.

In hindsight, if we hadn't got the nut removed, I could have repaired the inner tube without removing it completely from the wheel, instead of just sticking in a new inner tube.

I no longer fit the nuts to the valve stems on my bikes - plenty of spares if anyone wants them.

Too many times the valves (done up when inflated) are near impossible to undo without pressure in the tyre without tools.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5177 on: 23 May, 2022, 09:22:33 pm »
I was faced with an interesting dilemma after about 250km of the Welsh 600km at the weekend. I'm running tubed tyres, and had a rear flat. When I tried to unscrew the valve nut, it was stuck solid. Even the rider I was with couldn't budge it.

As luck would have it, the other rider produced folding pliers. These worked a breeze. They were also very useful in removing a stubborn flint from the tyre.

In hindsight, if we hadn't got the nut removed, I could have repaired the inner tube without removing it completely from the wheel, instead of just sticking in a new inner tube.

I no longer fit the nuts to the valve stems on my bikes - plenty of spares if anyone wants them.

Too many times the valves (done up when inflated) are near impossible to undo without pressure in the tyre without tools.

Just use Schrader valves and you can top up when you stop in a petrol station
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #5178 on: 23 May, 2022, 09:52:18 pm »
I was hoping to do a 600 in August as not doing LEL but there are none being run due to that ride. Anyone fancy doing a scenic 600 during that month - I guess we could do as a group perm?

I'm expecting a deafening silence on this one...!

Weekend of 13 / 14th setting off on the Friday night (12th)?  And a start location which requires very little travel or we start from our homes and arrange to meet somewhere en route? 

I'm happy to consider starting such an audacious endeavor on the understanding there's no guarantee I'll finish it as I will most probably be woefully under prepared.

I'll have a look at possible routes - no reason why the weekend wouldn't work. It would be nice (probably essential) to ride something that wasn't heading over the Fens

« Reply #5179 on: 23 May, 2022, 11:26:02 pm »
Hello all,

Sorry to butt in but if I do Fenland Friends, where do people usually stop for a kip? Is there a Travelodge someone mentioned on here before? Might have been felstedrider.

For me, Gainsborough Premier Inn for the civilised or the solidly built bus shelters along the ridge towards Lincoln. We have our ACME favourite here (it's the one with a blue plaque, 'Tomsk Slept Here'  ;)) - depending on the forecast overnight temperatures, it's either just a down jacket or a proper sleeping bag strapped onto the Carradice.

Not so pleasant in the bus shelter if you’re unfortunate enough to end up sharing it with me…
So I hear!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5180 on: 24 May, 2022, 07:25:22 am »

You are so retro, single speed, crashing through cafés for pizza, pasta, gelati and Chianti, inner tubes!!! (Do you wrap spares around your body), wooden rims? Cork brake shoes?

You're so 1899, I'm in awe!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5181 on: 24 May, 2022, 09:20:58 am »
I was hoping to do a 600 in August as not doing LEL but there are none being run due to that ride. Anyone fancy doing a scenic 600 during that month - I guess we could do as a group perm?

I'm expecting a deafening silence on this one...!

Weekend of 13 / 14th setting off on the Friday night (12th)?  And a start location which requires very little travel or we start from our homes and arrange to meet somewhere en route? 

I'm happy to consider starting such an audacious endeavor on the understanding there's no guarantee I'll finish it as I will most probably be woefully under prepared.

I'll have a look at possible routes - no reason why the weekend wouldn't work. It would be nice (probably essential) to ride something that wasn't heading over the Fens

:thumbsup:

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5182 on: 24 May, 2022, 09:58:44 am »
I'm with BFC, I don't tend to fit the valve nuts either, but always carry a pack of glueless patches (excellent weight to usefulness ratio) so could have patched the tube without having to take it fully off the rim as you suggested.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5183 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:27:16 am »

I have a Leatherman Surge, which is only slightly lighter than Joss' angle grinder, but the folding pliers are very useful.  I often pack the Surge on significant bike adventures.  Our course there are far lighter multitools which feature folding pliers.

« Reply #5184 on: 24 May, 2022, 11:19:39 am »
I have a Leatherman Surge, which is only slightly lighter than Joss' angle grinder, but the folding pliers are very useful.  I often pack the Surge on significant bike adventures.  Our course there are far lighter multitools which feature folding pliers.

The rider I was with had a Gerber Vise, which has the folding pliers and a few other tools. Total weight of 85g and 60mm folded length.

I checked the reviews and have ordered the Gerber Dime instead. Weighing 62g, and 70mm closed length.

Hopefully I won't need to use it ... I'll be removing valve nuts as others have mentioned.

felstedrider

« Reply #5185 on: 24 May, 2022, 11:33:16 am »

You are so retro, single speed, crashing through cafés for pizza, pasta, gelati and Chianti, inner tubes!!! (Do you wrap spares around your body), wooden rims? Cork brake shoes?

I find being positive about my peers achievements makes me feel better about myself.  You should give it a go.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5186 on: 24 May, 2022, 11:34:11 am »

The rider I was with had a Gerber Vise, which has the folding pliers and a few other tools. Total weight of 85g and 60mm folded length.

I checked the reviews and have ordered the Gerber Dime instead. Weighing 62g, and 70mm closed length.

Hopefully I won't need to use it ... I'll be removing valve nuts as others have mentioned.

Oh dear me, you've missed an opportunity to spend a great deal more money (a Surge is £170, don't think I paid that much 15 years ago) and buy something which weighs far more.  What were you thinking???  ;D

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #5187 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:23:46 pm »

I find being positive about my peers achievements makes me feel better about myself.  You should give it a go.

Each to their own!

This is only forum fodder, don't take it too seriously.

I'm looking forward to seeing psyclist tomorrow.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5188 on: 24 May, 2022, 03:28:03 pm »
 ;D :-*

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5189 on: 24 May, 2022, 04:43:41 pm »

Oh dear me, you've missed an opportunity to spend a great deal more money (a Surge is £170, don't think I paid that much 15 years ago) and buy something which weighs far more.  What were you thinking???  ;D
I have a few Gerber pliers/multitools - much more comfortable to use than Leatherman, the handles have the U section the correct way round!, and the blades etc latch on the variants I have used.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5190 on: 24 May, 2022, 04:47:04 pm »
Gerber aren't expensive enough and are way too light.  You'd never fight off a bear with a Gerber, you have a chance with a Leatherman!

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5191 on: 24 May, 2022, 07:12:52 pm »

That reminds me, has Huggy got his Laverack yet?
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5192 on: 26 May, 2022, 03:24:21 pm »

I still tend to fit them simply for the inflation from flat of the tube, where they stop the valve getting pushed into the rim when you try to get the pump on... I've got caught by the "tighter after a puncture" phenomemon enough times that I now only do them up just tight enough not to rattle once the tyre is inflated.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #5193 on: 26 May, 2022, 05:25:06 pm »
My Gerber Dime arrived today. Having seen the dimensions of BFC’s pliers last night, I’m pleased the Dime is about the size of my small finger, and the weight is rather negligible. Definitely a form factor I could carry on a multi-day ride.

felstedrider

« Reply #5194 on: 27 May, 2022, 04:14:31 pm »
We seem to be 3rd in the AUK club champs.   Can't see us catching VC167 or 4 corners but we don't have much headroom over AC Bristol.   

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5195 on: 27 May, 2022, 04:23:28 pm »
We seem to be 3rd in the AUK club champs.   Can't see us catching VC167 or 4 corners but we don't have much headroom over AC Bristol.   

Are you asking me to come out of Audax retirement?  A rider of my caliber could make all the difference you know  ;D

felstedrider

« Reply #5196 on: 27 May, 2022, 04:27:38 pm »

Are you asking me to come out of Audax retirement?  A rider of my caliber could make all the difference you know  ;D

I had big hopes for you after seeing you out on the Winter series.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5197 on: 27 May, 2022, 04:29:25 pm »

I had big hopes for you after seeing you out on the Winter series.

I really worry about showing people up so try to stay in the shadows.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5198 on: 10 June, 2022, 09:33:03 am »
The Windmill Rides need a controller for the Finchingfield checkpoint on Sunday 19th June, 08:45 to 13:15. That's for both the 200 and 100km events. I've been on duty there in recent years, but this time it's Fathers Day and the family have plans ... Let me know if you can help and I'll put you in touch with organiser Stefan.

« Reply #5199 on: 10 June, 2022, 09:59:05 am »
So who's going to be loitering around Manningtree station at midnight?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!