Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526164 times)

felstedrider

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5400 on: 11 October, 2022, 03:31:08 pm »
Don't forget the upcoming PBP Pubinar (thread in 'Audax: PBP') at the Compasses. Saturday 22nd October. Meet 18:00 - 19:00 or thereabouts for food and drink, and we'll aim to start at 20:00. I'm guessing we'll be in the Green Room again?

Was this originally limited to just those seeking advice or are all welcome ?

All welcome, but aimed at newbies.

I will sit at the back and heckle.

felstedrider

« Reply #5401 on: 11 October, 2022, 03:32:31 pm »
For anyone mad enough to consider riding back from York after doing an Arrow - do bear in mind that the following day is Easter Sunday and almost everything is shut or only open for a few hours. From late Saturday to getting to destination it's best to plan for total self sufficiency.

Depending on wind direction I would attempt to get to Lincoln and then stay at my Mum's.   It's 210k door-to-door from there but I could come back Monday.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5402 on: 11 October, 2022, 07:23:09 pm »
I'd be up for The easter Arrow, especially so if it counts toward PBP.

Unfortunately not a BRM/PBP qualifier.  :(

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5403 on: 11 October, 2022, 07:30:39 pm »

But it is fun, or torture (depends on weather, kit and expectations I suspect!).

« Reply #5404 on: 11 October, 2022, 10:28:04 pm »

But it is fun, or torture (depends on weather, kit and expectations I suspect!).

Have to say that I really enjoyed it the last time :thumbsup:

« Reply #5405 on: 12 October, 2022, 11:03:00 am »
I'd be up for an Arrow  :thumbsup:

Do we need a separate ACME Arrow thread?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5406 on: 17 October, 2022, 02:53:25 pm »
I won't be doing The Arrow 2023.  The Current Mrs R is short on holiday next year so I want to make sure I'm around for all the Bank Holidays. 

However, I now get 27 days holiday, 7 more than TCMR  :'( which means I'm well up for cycling adventures and open to suggestions.  Suggestions may or may not be audax related.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5407 on: 17 October, 2022, 07:35:03 pm »
I won't be doing The Arrow 2023.  The Current Mrs R is short on holiday next year so I want to make sure I'm around for all the Bank Holidays. 

However, I now get 27 days holiday, 7 more than TCMR  :'( which means I'm well up for cycling adventures and open to suggestions.  Suggestions may or may not be audax related.

Something I'm working on now, post-PBP qualifiers organising, is an ACME 'Tourdax' for July = a long weekend of 3 x 100km brevet populaires. 10kph minimum speed, so 10+hours depending on the traditional Tomsk 'bonus'. Easily do-able with camping gear, each stage finishing at a town with train links so you could just opt for one or two stages. I've got a laney version based on Hereward being worked on and am also starting to look at an East Anglian route as an alternative option.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5408 on: 18 October, 2022, 05:23:28 am »

Something I'm working on now, post-PBP qualifiers organising, is an ACME 'Tourdax' for July = a long weekend of 3 x 100km brevet populaires. 10kph minimum speed, so 10+hours depending on the traditional Tomsk 'bonus'. Easily do-able with camping gear, each stage finishing at a town with train links so you could just opt for one or two stages. I've got a laney version based on Hereward being worked on and am also starting to look at an East Anglian route as an alternative option.

Yes that's the sort of thing I had in mind  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5409 on: 18 October, 2022, 05:46:32 am »
Suggestions may or may not be audax related.

Something I'm working on now, post-PBP qualifiers organising, is an ACME 'Tourdax' for July = a long weekend of 3 x 100km brevet populaires.

For ‘not an audax’ and a bit further afield, there will be an ACME goes Dutch in September. Plan is to travel further afield using a train so we can explore new areas. Duration is likely to be the same as this year, out on the Wednesday night, back on Sunday night. I’ll canvas opinion at MEMWNS but I felt that was a good duration.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5410 on: 18 October, 2022, 07:07:42 am »
Suggestions may or may not be audax related.

Something I'm working on now, post-PBP qualifiers organising, is an ACME 'Tourdax' for July = a long weekend of 3 x 100km brevet populaires.

For ‘not an audax’ and a bit further afield, there will be an ACME goes Dutch in September. Plan is to travel further afield using a train so we can explore new areas. Duration is likely to be the same as this year, out on the Wednesday night, back on Sunday night. I’ll canvas opinion at MEMWNS but I felt that was a good duration.

Sounds good although I am going to have to be careful with my holiday because [drum roll please] I am pretty certain I have a green light for The Alps 2023 which would be my preference over ACME goes Dutch if I don't have the holiday to do both.

I shall be getting on with the prep for The Alps once I have Epiphany buttoned up.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5411 on: 18 October, 2022, 07:30:37 am »
I shall be getting on with the prep for The Alps once I have Epiphany buttoned up.

And the ACME Awards Evening factored into the Epiphany arrangements too please!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5412 on: 18 October, 2022, 08:01:15 am »

And the ACME Awards Evening factored into the Epiphany arrangements too please!  :thumbsup:

Yep, got it  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5413 on: 27 October, 2022, 12:07:15 am »
The Essex 3Rs route check will be convening at ‘spoons from 9am with a planned departure about 10am. Have a leisurely trundle round the route looking for any missing roads and prove e-brevet validation works, get back to ‘spoons between 4 & 5pm, have a few refreshments before heading home. ECEs accommodated.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5414 on: 27 October, 2022, 11:07:46 am »
Desperate times call for desperate measures. With pubs that are barely open in the good months and a bit of a CBA malaise affecting our Wednesday night outings, it's time to pick up my pen again.

There's always a point some time in October when the weather suddenly turns and you remember what it's like to cycle in colder weather - but not this October.  I left my offshore lair in a balmy 13 degrees and, had it not been for the headwind, would have had a champagne ride through the lanes to the Railway Tavern in Kelvedon for the opening EER meet of the season.

So pleasant was it that I even managed to arrive first.  I was soon joined by the wandering Welsh wizard himself.  Apparently the Strangler's nocturnal activities had been diminished while he was caught up in managing his north Essex estate after the untimely exit of the under-gardener in a bizarre lawn mowing accident.  We hope to see more of him over the winter - where else can you get so much for £5 !  But hark, what's that wheezing noise in the corner ?  Of course ! It's Captain Joshua Patten, clutching his sore ribs and looking very flushed for a man who has been blown to the pub by a warm tailwind.  An expectant hush falls over our table, it's almost nine and surely time for the Famous Witham Peloton to make their entrance.  A solitary headlight hoves into view, do we have a surprise guest or have the FWP deployed their signature "lone piper" advance party move ?  It's neither.  The Hustler has woken up on his sofa, realised he has missed the launch time and shot off to the pub alone.  The clock ticks past the appointed hour but still we sit, expectant. 

Suddenly, a burst of light sears across the sky accompanied by a whir of perfectly synchronised pedal strokes.  It's Hotblack leading OD and Huggy in a classic diamond (or what would have been a diamond had their fourth member not fallen asleep on the sofa).  With OD on board, the lateness of their arrival becomes clear.  At last we are complete and the festivities can commence.

The conversation ranges across the usual topics; rotting animal carcasses, Huggy's new bike and the possible effects of inflationary fiscal drag on the UK's sovereign debt.  It's the last Wednesday in a winter month so we are also treated to the customary powerpoint presentation by Hotblack.  This month's offering is his attempt to promote the forthcoming not the French ride trip to France.  Titled "My Alpine Misadventures", it is a thought-provoking summary of his descents from the high peaks at high speed.  Who could fail to be inspired to follow in his tyre tracks upon those same roads when they think back to his one-wheeled crazed ride through the 21 hairpins of the Alpe.

The RT is a proper pub. It is also the start and finish point for the pearl (geddit !) in ACME's winter brevet series; The Kelvedon Oyster.  What it doesn't have is a large selection to sample; Greene Ming IPA and a guest.  From 4pm today there will be plenty to sample as they have a real ale festival starting  Last night we could see the casks all laid out and could almost taste the goodness inside but had to make do with High Five by Trolley 5 and Ice Breaker by GK.  Huggy likes Ice Breaker but fortunately is ineligble for the Quaffers Committee.  In the absence of any other members, the Hustler and I co-opted the Strangler as our office junior for the evening, making us at least part-quorate.  After deliberating carefully over the one beer we had sampled, we bestowed the prestigious Quaffers' Choice Award to High Five, while looking wistfully at the rows of casks at the far end of the pub.

We departed into the gloaming.  With a thick autumn mist and the continual fogging of my glasses, it was a slightly surreal journey home.  At times, all I could really see were swirls of grey rushing by me as I tried to pick out the lines of the road.  Come the colder months, a warm ride home will seem like a distant memory.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5415 on: 27 October, 2022, 11:45:52 am »
The Bard is back - praise be :thumbsup:

A couple of points, huggy was the FWP's ride leader so don't blame me for our lateness.  He also got us lost  ::-)

Secondly, some might think that the people mentioned in your write ups are figments of your over active and somewhat dubious imagination, this isn't always the case.  I Googled Captain Joshua Patten.  It's his wife Mary Ann Brown Patten who is the more remarkable of the two, well worth a read!

« Reply #5416 on: 27 October, 2022, 02:06:21 pm »

« Reply #5417 on: 27 October, 2022, 02:19:06 pm »
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5418 on: 27 October, 2022, 04:32:39 pm »
Huggy's new bike

Fact or fiction?

Mythology

Lets hope it doesn't fly too close to the Sun (or other pubs without real beer).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5419 on: 27 October, 2022, 04:57:20 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #5420 on: 28 October, 2022, 10:54:23 pm »
Hello all,

What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag on the single speed (and maybe on my shiny new Fairlight-that-is-still-in-my-dreamsa-a-bit-but-=think-I-will-get-one).

Do I need a metal rack for it tht comes off the saddle?

Ta. xxx

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5421 on: 29 October, 2022, 06:32:57 am »
Hello all,

What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag on the single speed (and maybe on my shiny new Fairlight-that-is-still-in-my-dreamsa-a-bit-but-=think-I-will-get-one).

Do I need a metal rack for it tht comes off the saddle?

Ta. xxx

There are a few options but my favourite is this: https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/seatpost-quick-release-saddlebags/

felstedrider

« Reply #5422 on: 29 October, 2022, 07:18:35 am »
I’ve got a bagman on the green fixed if you want a look.

I’ll be at Witham next Sat.

« Reply #5423 on: 29 October, 2022, 11:02:39 am »
What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag

I thought you’d be more of a Tailfin person.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5424 on: 29 October, 2022, 03:00:12 pm »
What are my options for a Carradice Super-C Saddlebag

I thought you’d be more of a Tailfin person.

Our Nick is a man of great taste who respects English cycling traditions!