Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526036 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5475 on: 16 December, 2022, 09:12:22 am »
Sorry to butt in but Hannah did her annual Christmas tune in the recording studio today.

Happy Christmas, my friends. x

Top stuff!  Does she get her singing voice from you?

« Reply #5476 on: 16 December, 2022, 12:46:21 pm »
Sorry to butt in but Hannah did her annual Christmas tune in the recording studio today.

Happy Christmas, my friends. x

Top stuff!  Does she get her singing voice from you?

What do you think? :thumbsup:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #5477 on: 17 December, 2022, 05:32:51 pm »
Route to the start of the Santa special on gritted roads is figured out and checked - so I well be enjoying the peace and quite of the fixed, with a choice of layers due to significant temperature change through the day and risk of rain.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5478 on: 17 December, 2022, 05:41:44 pm »
Route to the start of the Santa special on gritted roads is figured out and checked - so I well be enjoying the peace and quite of the fixed, with a choice of layers due to significant temperature change through the day and risk of rain.

Chapeau!

I, on the other hand will be going out tomorrow morning with Dan, to rescue one of the 'Carriages' limos which is stuck in a garden at Stocking Green near Radwinter! Long story ...

« Reply #5479 on: 17 December, 2022, 06:47:47 pm »

Damn, I was hoping with the studded tyres I may have been able to keep up with you  :-\

See you in the morning. Safe trip to the start
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

felstedrider

« Reply #5480 on: 17 December, 2022, 08:55:45 pm »
Sunday looks chilly first thing but temps come up pretty quickly over the day and into the evening.   I might return to riding early next week.   I think my only chance for a December 200 is the 27th, but I'll watch the weather.  Hopefully I can finish up on the last bike that's left in pieces.

(Technically I'm entered for a half marathon on Sunday.....)

Half Marathon cancelled.  Shame.

I have a couple of jobs to do in the garage, but my grazes have healed after not really exercising for 10 days.  I may ride my bike again next week.

« Reply #5481 on: 18 December, 2022, 08:07:58 am »
Hellooo lovely ACME people, I have finally got round to joining YACF.  ;D next signed up for the Oyster, my fave. Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2023 everyone!

« Reply #5482 on: 18 December, 2022, 01:10:28 pm »
Hellooo lovely ACME people, I have finally got round to joining YACF.  :-D next signed up for the Oyster, my fave. Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2023 everyone!

And the same to you! :thumbsup:

« Reply #5483 on: 18 December, 2022, 01:10:53 pm »
Are we going for a curry this year?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5484 on: 18 December, 2022, 05:19:55 pm »
Hellooo lovely ACME people, I have finally got round to joining YACF.  ;D next signed up for the Oyster, my fave. Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2023 everyone!

:thumbsup:  :) Welcome! 2023, here we come.

There was mention of it for next Wednesday ...

« Reply #5485 on: 18 December, 2022, 05:23:32 pm »
Hellooo lovely ACME people, I have finally got round to joining YACF.  :-D next signed up for the Oyster, my fave. Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2023 everyone!

:thumbsup: :-) Welcome! 2023, here we come.

I'll probably be up for that!

« Reply #5486 on: 18 December, 2022, 05:26:05 pm »
I have a question:

I prefer my routesheets for long rides to have time and date for control point open/closed times as it helps me because I am stupid get confused easily when tired on long rides. Is there a spreadsheet template or clever onlinery thing that will generate this for me?

It has to be idiot-proof.

Ta.

« Reply #5487 on: 18 December, 2022, 06:06:34 pm »
Ah that’s a shame - my work Xmas do is next Wednesday night

felstedrider

« Reply #5488 on: 18 December, 2022, 07:18:18 pm »
I have a question:

I prefer my routesheets for long rides to have time and date for control point open/closed times as it helps me because I am stupid get confused easily when tired on long rides. Is there a spreadsheet template or clever onlinery thing that will generate this for me?

Ta.

I have been known to annotate routesheets with a biro before.  Not very technical I know.

I sometimes use excel to create a schedule and notes of control closing times and then put that in my wallet or tape it to my top tube.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5489 on: 18 December, 2022, 07:36:36 pm »
I prefer my routesheets for long rides to have time and date for control point open/closed times
It's printed on the brevet, if the ride goes past midnight on the day you started the control close time is suffixed with a + to denote next day.
I do not put control open/close times on my ride route sheets.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5490 on: 18 December, 2022, 09:30:41 pm »
I have a question:

Ta.
I have been known to annotate routesheets with a biro before.  Not very technical I know.

I sometimes use excel to create a schedule and notes of control closing times and then put that in my wallet or tape it to my top tube.

Thanks! I am being lazy.

« Reply #5491 on: 18 December, 2022, 09:31:38 pm »
I prefer my routesheets for long rides to have time and date for control point open/closed times
It's printed on the brevet, if the ride goes past midnight on the day you started the control close time is suffixed with a + to denote next day.

Thanks, what if it goes over more than one day?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5492 on: 18 December, 2022, 10:20:21 pm »

No more +’s, you’re on your own to work out what day it is  :-\
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5493 on: 19 December, 2022, 09:33:25 am »
I have a question:

Ta.
I've got a fairly basic spreadsheet where you put in your start time, and the distance of each control, and it works out the closing time at the control based on speeds e.g. 14.3kph, 15kph. I've also set it up to calculate higher speeds, so I can get an idea of where I need to be at a given time to allow a time buffer for sleep etc. It doesn't add on a +1 for an extra day, but I find it's fairly easy to add this manually if needed when copying the data to a routesheet.

Let me know if you'd like a copy, and I'll send it over (although given the number of techs that seem to ride Audax I suspect quite a few people will have something better/more advanced).

« Reply #5494 on: 19 December, 2022, 11:43:55 am »

No more +’s, you’re on your own to work out what day it is  :-\

I'm sobbing. :'(

« Reply #5495 on: 19 December, 2022, 11:50:04 am »
I have a question:

Ta.
I've got a fairly basic spreadsheet where you put in your start time, and the distance of each control, and it works out the closing time at the control based on speeds e.g. 14.3kph, 15kph. I've also set it up to calculate higher speeds, so I can get an idea of where I need to be at a given time to allow a time buffer for sleep etc. It doesn't add on a +1 for an extra day, but I find it's fairly easy to add this manually if needed when copying the data to a routesheet.

Let me know if you'd like a copy, and I'll send it over (although given the number of techs that seem to ride Audax I suspect quite a few people will have something better/more advanced).

Ah, what a start you are, Bernster! Yes, please do send me a copy over.

I've stopped sobbing.  :-D

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #5496 on: 19 December, 2022, 10:38:46 pm »
So we have had an expert work out what apple trees we have in the orchard at home - been there for a long long time. Apparently they might be a Seabrook variety called ACME; not surprising, I suppose, considering I invented the club before I was born…
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #5497 on: 20 December, 2022, 12:49:12 am »
So we have had an expert work out what apple trees we have in the orchard at home - been there for a long long time. Apparently they might be a Seabrook variety called ACME; not surprising, I suppose, considering I invented the club before I was born…

Been reading up on them and they sound delicious; as well they might!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5498 on: 20 December, 2022, 06:57:37 am »

I'm thinking there's scope for some sort of Pagan type ritual.  Tomsk presides over proceedings, blesses the trees etc.  The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny leads a procession around the orchard.  BFC conducts a ceremonial pruning.  The Bard addresses the throng with wise but witty words.  The possibilities are endless...

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5499 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:39:32 am »
I'm thinking there's scope for some sort of Pagan type ritual.  Tomsk presides over proceedings, blesses the trees etc.  The Musky Reindeer Pelt of Destiny leads a procession around the orchard.  BFC conducts a ceremonial pruning.  The Bard addresses the throng with wise but witty words.  The possibilities are endless...
Just add the cider tribute and it all sounds like wassailing to me (the orchard variety). 
Usually done around epiphany  ::-)  though adherence to the pre-gregorian epiphany is also possible (aka old-twelvety, apparently)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.