Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526081 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5550 on: 27 April, 2023, 12:17:44 pm »
That’s quite a contrast between Tomsk and jiberjaber on their return journeys. Western parts of the region feel so genteel compared to the shenanigans happening in the east.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5551 on: 27 April, 2023, 12:46:56 pm »
Blimey! Chelmsford is turning into Gotham City!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5552 on: 27 April, 2023, 06:33:02 pm »
***** 13 May 2023  *******

There's a potential trip to foreign parts in order to drink beer with our ACME / MEMWNS spiritual cousins, Fat Cat Brewery CC - likely to be a bit of an exchange visit in the future to our Spiritual Home too...  :thumbsup:

http://fatcattap.co.uk/cycle-club/

They are keen to know numbers so they can make arrangements at the Fat Cat Ipswich for the number of bikes that might turn up...

I think the general idea is to ride there Saturday, stay/camp over and ride back Sunday (or 22:23 / 22:41 train back to Witham if that works for some). 

Potential Witham to Ipswich route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42369973 is about 70km, so a 'spoons start, lunch en route and beers and something in Ipswich as a starting idea?

(Discussions ongoing on overnight accomodation options, potentially a field with or without horses and maybe a porta loo or not and running water or not... but thats for firming up tonight in the pub... )

So can I have a show of hands please:

1. Joergen
2. Dirk
3. Huggy
4. BFC

etc...

Dissapointly low numbers and a lack of accomodation - looks like there may be a train strike on the day which scuppers the option of train assist return.
Any more want to join us... I might just let them know it's not looking likely at this rate  ::-)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5553 on: 28 April, 2023, 10:43:39 am »
I'm up for doing something that day/night.

With small numbers, we can camp on the field (water but not toilet).

A leisurely cruise up to Suffolk with stops, make camp, book dinner at a pub or have a bbq then go back to the pub.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5554 on: 28 April, 2023, 11:53:45 am »
I'm up for doing something that day/night.

With small numbers, we can camp on the field (water but not toilet).

A leisurely cruise up to Suffolk with stops, make camp, book dinner at a pub or have a bbq then go back to the pub.

So no fat cat meet up?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5555 on: 28 April, 2023, 12:10:46 pm »
I suspect we are going to need some train assist with that one.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5556 on: 28 April, 2023, 01:09:42 pm »
Ahoy! not being a Wednesday night attendee, as per
... note I'm in Ipswich
It's walkable from château arabella (with sloping bumpy garden filled with some lawn, plants, my ex-kitchen and accessible via a narrow side passage).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5557 on: 02 May, 2023, 05:37:22 pm »
OK - confirmed that there are no trains on 13 May due to RMT.  So I'll let the fatcat.cc know we'll be MIA. Perhaps they'll have the same issue as I think a lot were banking on train assist back towards Norwich.

Subject to knee issues, I am still potential for camping and a pub if thats still a go'er.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5558 on: 14 May, 2023, 07:11:52 pm »
Great and wise lot, next Saturday I want to do a long run/walk as training for a 100km challenge in June. Want to do around 60km with a fair bit of off road but not swamps/mudbaths

Ideally starting from near witham and ending either back at witham or at a station. Anyone got any ideas. I've done Rayne Station to Hatfield forest and back which came in around 43km I think so don't want to do that again.

Driving to Mersea island and doing 3 laps of that is an option which would have bonus of a car to leave water/snacks in or Colchester to brightlingsea and back with some added bits

Or there is the essex way but not sure how easy that would be to follow from sorta Terling to Manningtree

Any ideas. The actual event is on the ridgeway so old roads/tracks etc

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5559 on: 14 May, 2023, 08:45:43 pm »
Great and wise lot, next Saturday I want to do a long run/walk as training for a 100km challenge in June. Want to do around 60km with a fair bit of off road but not swamps/mudbaths

Ideally starting from near witham and ending either back at witham or at a station. Anyone got any ideas. I've done Rayne Station to Hatfield forest and back which came in around 43km I think so don't want to do that again.

Driving to Mersea island and doing 3 laps of that is an option which would have bonus of a car to leave water/snacks in or Colchester to brightlingsea and back with some added bits

Or there is the essex way but not sure how easy that would be to follow from sorta Terling to Manningtree

Any ideas. The actual event is on the ridgeway so old roads/tracks etc
There's a bunch of byways and bridleways out over to Greenstead and coggeshall that might make up a descent loop, bonus alpacas too

https://www.komoot.com/tour/1045113877?ref=aso
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5560 on: 17 May, 2023, 08:24:42 pm »
Fenland Friends route check done. Tough day going north into a fair old breeze with a couple of hefty showers, the hoped-for tailwind never materialised after Goole, but still air is ok I guess. It seemed to be in my face again for a bit on the leg over to Red Lodge, though not strong. It was cold overnight - I used a bijou 5* bus shelter on the Ridge, with overhanging trees and ivy but despite the extra layers I'd carried, the space-blanket survival bag was deployed for the first time in ages!

With various 200s, G&Y Fields 300 and the 400km Arrow this year, that makes me a first-time (Essex, Fixed) Senior Super-Randonneur.  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5561 on: 17 May, 2023, 09:45:28 pm »
Congrats on the elder achievement!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #5562 on: 17 May, 2023, 11:32:06 pm »
Nice one Tomsk!  :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #5563 on: 18 May, 2023, 04:38:00 am »
Well done Tomsk. The year is shaping up rather nicely for you.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #5564 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:06:49 am »
Congratulations Tomsk.  I'm getting very excited looking forward to the FF600 this weekend.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #5565 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:45:16 am »
My goodness, Tomsk - that is amazing! Looking forward to FF on Saturday Many congratulations, Tomsk!

« Reply #5566 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:52:39 am »
Well done Tomsk.

I'm hoping for better weather this weekend.  ;D

See you Saturday morning
Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

« Reply #5567 on: 18 May, 2023, 03:37:56 pm »
Great stuff Tomsk - congratulations  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5568 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:22:05 pm »
Aw shucks, thanks for all the good wishes, folks!

This weekend's weather looks, (whisper) pretty good ...

felstedrider

« Reply #5569 on: 19 May, 2023, 11:30:44 am »
Well done Tomsk.

I rode the perm version of Yorkshire via Essex last week to complete my first Lincolnshire SR.  It was a bit odd sitting in Dunmow 6hrs after starting.   This does remind me I’m a little behind on my Essex SR for this year but it might have to wait a bit.

« Reply #5570 on: 20 May, 2023, 05:58:17 am »

« Reply #5571 on: 20 May, 2023, 08:34:10 am »
Go Nick

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5572 on: 20 May, 2023, 10:15:27 am »
Next Saturday, 27th May, Soupy and I are planning on catching the Maldon stage of the Ride London Classique. It's a loop up towards Colchester, turnaround at Abberton reservoir and taking in three ascents of The Mighty North Hill - anyone fancy meeing up and spectating there around midday, followed by lunch somewhere?

https://www.ridelondon.co.uk/the-classique/the-stages/stage-two

« Reply #5573 on: 20 May, 2023, 03:01:35 pm »
Go Nick
Thanks! All good but a ripper of a headwind in places!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5574 on: 20 May, 2023, 05:47:57 pm »
Looks like you're making good progress into that headwind. Enjoy the ride back, with a helpful push, I hope!