Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 526055 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #5650 on: 02 September, 2023, 07:27:05 am »
Dumb question - I've never quite figured out whether ACME is a club that you actually join, or a loose association of riders, or something else?
Ive often wondered the same. After completing The Horsepower 200 in 2021, i was so buoyed by enthusiasm i bought a pair of ACME mudflaps and a longsleve jersey emblazoned with ACME.
So although im not a paid up member i have enjoyed many of ACME events. I might even complete the forthcoming winter series to cement the shared love of East Anglian cycling.

« Reply #5651 on: 04 September, 2023, 01:08:28 pm »
Any one else planning to ride the Shaftesbury CC 200 on Saturday ?

Owen
Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5652 on: 04 September, 2023, 04:00:39 pm »
Just to mention this CUK thread about the A12 cycle path. I know it's been used in some ACME events, so might be of interest to some here. I'd suggest posting any comments there not here though, as it's a bit off-topic for this one.
It's all cut back now, clear run through which is less than I could say for the rubbish on the path!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5653 on: 04 September, 2023, 07:54:32 pm »

I was planning to, but I need to pop down to Lewes instead, so I’ll be riding a DIY this weekend. ECEing the little R&R next weekend though.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5654 on: 05 September, 2023, 12:18:31 pm »
I’ve entered. Looks like it’s going to be a hot one…

« Reply #5655 on: 05 September, 2023, 12:37:35 pm »

Probably the 100k event for me this Saturday from the Uts, with the little R&R the following weekend.

« Reply #5656 on: 06 September, 2023, 02:54:56 pm »
Hopefully see you on Saturday Gavin.

I'm also on the 200 R&R the following week.

Hopefully see some of you on the road.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5657 on: 06 September, 2023, 02:59:13 pm »
I'm also on the 200 R&R the following week.

I'm which case I'll pass on your Way to the Sea brevet card to Huggy when I see him later today
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #5658 on: 06 September, 2023, 03:02:21 pm »
Thanks Adam.

I'd have liked to have made it out for MEMWNS tonight but scouts has started back earlier than I expected.

« Reply #5659 on: 07 September, 2023, 06:55:50 pm »
Any ACME planning to watch the tour tomorrow?

I'm trying to decide between a Fambridge road dash - with two passes, or a Bicknacre roundabout about 2pm) where there is usually a good crowd...
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #5660 on: 07 September, 2023, 07:40:51 pm »
Dumb question - I've never quite figured out whether ACME is a club that you actually join, or a loose association of riders, or something else?

An interesting question, which prompted me to switch my AUK club to ACME, since most of my audaxes are ACME based!  ;D  hope you like my shiny 39 points. But sorry to Tomsk for pipping you off the top 6 list...  :-[

my partner is doing the 200 from the Shaftesbury this weekend, ECEing to 300. All being well, that's both of us SR for this year!  ;D

« Reply #5661 on: 08 September, 2023, 04:35:42 pm »
I’ve entered. Looks like it’s going to be a hot one…
I now need to be home earlier on Saturday afternoon, so I’ve switched to the 100k ride…

felstedrider

« Reply #5662 on: 09 September, 2023, 05:09:52 pm »

An interesting question, which prompted me to switch my AUK club to ACME, since most of my audaxes are ACME based!  ;D  hope you like my shiny 39 points. But sorry to Tomsk for pipping you off the top 6 list...  :-[

my partner is doing the 200 from the Shaftesbury this weekend, ECEing to 300. All being well, that's both of us SR for this year!  ;D

Tomsk has 12 points that aren’t up there yet.  He’s too polite to mention it, though.

« Reply #5663 on: 10 September, 2023, 07:25:19 am »
Phew, less embarrassment for me!  :thumbsup:

How did you guys get on at the Shaftesbury yesterday? My husband had to abandon because of the heat.  :(

« Reply #5664 on: 10 September, 2023, 08:08:50 am »
How did you guys get on at the Shaftesbury yesterday? My husband had to abandon because of the heat.  :(
The heat was was brutal. I limped around the 100k. I’d never have gotten round the 200k in that heat so I was glad I’d switched rides :thumbsup:  Chapeau to everyone who even attempted one of the rides!

« Reply #5665 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:03:50 am »
Phew, less embarrassment for me!  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear your husband abandoned, the heat really took its toll on everyone I think. I really regretted ECE'ing it.
After the 50 km to the start, I rode 120-130km with Peter Harper and Jellylegs.
On the first leg we had an early cafe stop and then another shop (milkshake) stop before getting back to the 'Uts. On the 2nd leg we only made it 18km down the road before stopping again at the Beehive for another cold drink. After that Jellylegs dropped off and Peter and I rode together to the end, stopping on the 3rd loop to try and buy Ice creams only to find out they were sold out  :'(.  I think on my own I would have bailed.
With the annoying ticking noise my bike was making (appears to be pedal again  >:( ) I think Peter and Mark probably wished I had bailed.
The 50km home was the biggest struggle though. Although it had cooled off by then I was so full of drink I really didn't want to eat anything. I managed half a bag of chips and a coke in Thaxted and that was just enough to see me home.
Those that swapped out to the 100 definitely made a wise choice and I should probably learn some sort of lesson from this  ;)

Still it'll probably rain for the R&R next weekend so I can moan about instead  ::-)

« Reply #5666 on: 14 September, 2023, 12:38:25 pm »
@Owen, there's a paucity of ACME riders in the Hall of Fame for the Wessex Series SR. Just 2, in fact. Is this on your radar for next year? It'll earn you your first AAA SR too.

https://www.wessexsr.org.uk/wsrs.html

« Reply #5667 on: 14 September, 2023, 12:48:54 pm »
@Owen, there's a paucity of ACME riders in the Hall of Fame for the Wessex Series SR. Just 2, in fact. Is this on your radar for next year? It'll earn you your first AAA SR too.

https://www.wessexsr.org.uk/wsrs.html

Maybe  ::-) I'll see when the dates are released.

I'm definitely up for an ACME does the Brian Chapman if anyone else is ?

« Reply #5668 on: 14 September, 2023, 01:16:17 pm »
Maybe  ::-) I'll see when the dates are released.

I'm definitely up for an ACME does the Brian Chapman if anyone else is ?

As per the FB page ...

Provisional dates for the events:
Hard Boiled 300km – 13th of April 2024
Dorset Coast 200km – 14th of April 2024
Porkers 400km – 5th / 6th of May 2024
Brimstone 600km – 25th / 26th of May 2024

I'm thinking about Bryan Chapman.

« Reply #5669 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:31:45 pm »
@Owen, and don't forget there's also Grimpeur du Sud awards ...

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5670 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:36:38 pm »

You're worse than a dealer  ;D  Offering yet more powerful addictive substances to the vulnerable!

felstedrider

« Reply #5671 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:43:32 pm »
I never quite understood the allure of the Wessex Series.  I finished Hard Boiled once, 20+ yrs ago.  One of the challenges then was navigation as the route sheets were a little idiosyncratic.  Getting lost was part of the fun, apparently.  I suspect GPS navigation makes this less of a problem and improves average speeds.  I think my riding next year will be a bit more local as I have to deal with the reality of annual leave again.

« Reply #5672 on: 14 September, 2023, 02:59:20 pm »

You're worse than a dealer  ;D  Offering yet more powerful addictive substances to the vulnerable!

You've found me out  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5673 on: 14 September, 2023, 03:05:13 pm »

You've found me out  ;D

I think we found you out a long time ago!

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #5674 on: 14 September, 2023, 06:10:53 pm »
I never quite understood the allure of the Wessex Series.  I finished Hard Boiled once, 20+ yrs ago.  One of the challenges then was navigation as the route sheets were a little idiosyncratic.  Getting lost was part of the fun, apparently.  I suspect GPS navigation makes this less of a problem and improves average speeds.  I think my riding next year will be a bit more local as I have to deal with the reality of annual leave again.
Fair to say that the route sheets are still a little idiosyncratic (assuming they're still Shawn's versions), but much easier now with GPS. They're stunning rides, lots of winching up hills in bottom gear on tiny roads with grass up the middle - I'd heartily recommend!