Author Topic: CHELTENHAM FLYER 16 MAR 13  (Read 6415 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: CHELTENHAM FLYER 16 MAR 13
« Reply #25 on: 15 March, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
The tcx file came from Steve's last actual ride of the revised course, however in one short section between Grittleton (just after the second crossing of the M4) and Tetbury, his gps reception was maybe a bit patchy, so the track was not quite where it should have been.  On my test ride yesterday, for a short while, the route diverted from the road to about 300 metres to my left in a plowed field, and it meandered around for the next 20 kms or so, making choice of which turn to take at a couple of junctions more certain from the route sheet.

I have comprehensively corrected those slight errors, and here is a link to download.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=513020
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #26 on: 15 March, 2013, 02:21:05 pm »
Yes. One big hill
Was that Blowingstone Hill or Spring Hill you were thinking of?

Spring hill. Don't remember any other of note (and I rode it on a 70" fixed, so I might have noticed  ;D  )

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #27 on: 15 March, 2013, 02:23:20 pm »
I didn't notice any proper hills yesterday, but there were a few good bumps to get warmer on...  which was nice !!   ;D ;D ;D

Cycling heatmap

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2013, 02:26:39 pm »
The tcx file came from Steve's last actual ride of the revised course, however in one short section between Grittleton (just after the second crossing of the M4) and Tetbury, his gps reception was maybe a bit patchy, so the track was not quite where it should have been.  On my test ride yesterday, for a short while, the route diverted from the road to about 300 metres to my left in a plowed field, and it meandered around for the next 20 kms or so, making choice of which turn to take at a couple of junctions more certain from the route sheet.

I have comprehensively corrected those slight errors, and here is a link to download.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=513020

Cheers Mikey  :thumbsup: I knew there had to be a reason why I hadn't created my own versions before now.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2013, 08:02:36 pm »
Wishing everybody a great ride tomorrow - I'll be nursing my bugs, I'm afraid; hate to DNS  :( was looking forward to see some Blacksheep regulars, ride down to Cheltenham, and try my new external power pack for the Garmin  :(. Next stop Yr Elenidd now (well, after a week on Mallorca  ;D). Irm

« Reply #30 on: 16 March, 2013, 10:21:41 am »
Early DNF for me. Rode the 18 miles to the start. Punctured 3 miles in. A couple of miles later realised I was too tired and mildly poorly to ride 125 miles in the rain and enjoy it.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #31 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:23:26 am »
Early DNF for me. Rode the 18 miles to the start. Punctured 3 miles in. A couple of miles later realised I was too tired and mildly poorly to ride 125 miles in the rain and enjoy it.

I'm having to bite my lip here... ;)
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #32 on: 16 March, 2013, 01:07:02 pm »
Having missed my train I started at 8.20, now enjoying the burbage control  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 16 March, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »

Go for it  :demon:

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #34 on: 16 March, 2013, 02:36:53 pm »

Go for it  :demon:

So that cost about £2 a mile?

:-)

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #35 on: 16 March, 2013, 02:44:17 pm »
Yes, you are right. I should have spent the whole day cold, wet, tired and miserable because somehow that would mean I had got my money's worth.

Any more takers for Dumfuckingstupidest Comment of the Day?

:demon:

« Reply #36 on: 16 March, 2013, 02:59:52 pm »
Yes, you are right. I should have spent the whole day cold, wet, tired and miserable because somehow that would mean I had got my money's worth.

'Wibble'.

Does that qualify? ;D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 16 March, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »
It's age.
It is simpler than it looks.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #38 on: 16 March, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »

Nope, I've learnt my lesson!!

But if you like I'll ride round with you as a perm if you can get some mid week time.

;D ;D ;D

Cycling heatmap

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #39 on: 16 March, 2013, 03:29:42 pm »
Well looking out of this comfortable pub window I am rather admiring the ferocity of the hail and wind. :-/

Hope you guys are alright out there today.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #40 on: 16 March, 2013, 04:16:54 pm »
Nope, I've learnt my lesson!!

But if you like I'll ride round with you as a perm if you can get some mid week time.

;D ;D ;D

That's a kind offer, but not to worry. Can't do midweek rides and besides it's a loop I sometimes do for the hell of it. Will be trying to get some rest before next week's Dean.

« Reply #41 on: 16 March, 2013, 05:31:45 pm »

Very wise choice, Flatus. I look at it that way: spent the £6 already - now do I want to get wet, cold and more poorly for it, or do I want to 'spend the money' on staying warm and feeling better for it? But then, I was never very good with money  :-[

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 16 March, 2013, 08:09:43 pm »

Rain? Try shower after shower of hail. It was miserable.

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 16 March, 2013, 08:12:49 pm »
PS 0.5 deg C for the last 2 hours, soaking wet, numb fingers and toes. I kept accidentally changing gear due to not knowing what my fingers were doing. I used the drag brake a lot because braking was getting difficult.

« Reply #44 on: 16 March, 2013, 08:16:44 pm »
Sorry to hear that. I got very cold during the two puncture incidents.  I had waterproof overshoe on and waterproof gloves, but both my feet and my hands were soaking and cold.  Very odd.

« Reply #45 on: 16 March, 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
Does anyone know if Mr Blacksheep got back ok?

« Reply #46 on: 16 March, 2013, 08:31:11 pm »
Yes he did

« Reply #47 on: 16 March, 2013, 09:52:50 pm »
Sorry to hear that. I got very cold during the two puncture incidents.  I had waterproof overshoe on and waterproof gloves, but both my feet and my hands were soaking and cold.  Very odd.
Have you washed either of them using a detergent at anytime in the past, or in a washing m/c that's had detergent in it prior?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #48 on: 16 March, 2013, 10:04:21 pm »
If the world was about to end not sure I fancy being with you happy bunnies (joke).
Now let’s look at the positives:

The organiser/helpers put in the same amount of effort what every the weather does.

So I think firstly a BIG THANK YOU to all.

Closely followed by what an excellent route, even on such a damp day I could see the splendours of the local countryside. 

After making the tea/coffee this morning for all the riders the two lovely ladies (myself and Janet)
set off on the 100k.  What fun we had cycling and chatting in our groups, enjoyed the company of
others.  Many thanks to Derek for his company.

We were rewarded at half way by yet more friendly folk over eager to help, and feeding us with yummy homemade cakes.

Our return leg, was load of flat (no AAA’s for me today) and again cycled in a group.

On return to the finished once again welcomed by Shirely, Steve and Brian, hot drinks beans on toasts all for a £1 and many other options.

Well done Steve for a lovely enjoyable day.

Mrs BlackSheep

Ps yes Blacksheep home and resting in the warmth of the barn  :)

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #49 on: 16 March, 2013, 11:21:18 pm »
Agreed - big thanks to Steve for organising, and to his helpers and those supplying home-made food and excellent hospitality at the controls.
The route is clearly good. Some of the time I could see that, and sometimes the weather just made it look a bit more dramatic.
I too had a flat after 15 mins, and saw Flatus just before he made a sensible decision to take some enjoyment from his ride and stop at Bibury. At several points later in the ride, I wondered if I should have joined him.
I think I put too much effort into making up time in the first half of the circuit, or didn't get my eating/drinking right, and really paid the price in the second half, suffering a dramatic loss of energy and resorting to my bonk rations despite not feeling like I could really eat anything. The combination to that with the falling temperatures and rain and hail made the final 20km a real exercise of will-power.
This was my slowest and (subjectively) hardest calendar 200 to-date, though I'm sure that is not due to the route.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies