Author Topic: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 + 150/100 15 March 2014  (Read 5029 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 + 150/100 15 March 2014
« on: 13 January, 2014, 03:01:10 pm »
I will open this thread with a treat. A Winter recce ride of the Flyer Perm!

The R Churn was well over the normal banks and I soon realised my big problem would be the low sun, creating strong reflections and glare from the myriad of roadside puddles. The R Coln at Fairford was full but contained as was the Thames at Lechlade; flooded in the fields but contained, so only the sun to contend with. As well as confirming the VH in Uffington, I bought ripe bananas for a break. On and up to the Ridgeway for the drop to Lambourn; river flowing well as it is often a dry river bed! After the next climb to the Berkshire Downs, I took another feed at my fav spot (great for snowdrops later) near Membury. I was using my bottom 28x28 regularly; and again out of Ramsbury. I love the run to Burbage, following rail and canal. On Thurs I can join the Soup kitchen (they are my Control for the Calendar event) at the Church Hall but today is Sat, so it is the garage for a break/Control. I chose the main road to Pewsey and decent road to Alton, again to miss the farm-style lanes. But that did not prevent a front P******e in Wilcot, caused by a tiny flint embedded in the top surface. 10mins daylight lost! This traverse to Lacock is another favourite, with a White Horse and chasing the canal to the TR $ BISHOPS CANNINGS. I realised a super sunset was developing and I might catch it around Bowden Hill. I missed the sun but the setting colours were respectable. Dropping to Lacock, the Shop was refusing customers at 1655, though clearly showing open hours to 1700. Standards! I took on more food and prepared for the dark. By Tetbury the chill was uncomfortable and later, I sensed crisp crunching in the verges. I changed gloves and was just warm enough. Final break in Tetbury and phone home with an ETA. I took 14% Bubbs Hill with due caution, as there is a pub at the bottom and no clear run out. Then the last 28x28 climb to the A435 to Seven Springs and fast descent to Charlton Kings for a 12hr total. Apart from the wall to wall sunshine, quiet roads and superb landscape views, the big memory is to the blinding glare (riding the Perm AC, rather than C, would have sorted but I needed to call into Uffington PO) and the later chill; just aspects of Winter riding.

Conditions in March can only be warmer and, hopefully, drier than 2013. But the 2 brilliant Uffington and Burbage Controls will be up to warming and feeding you. I will include an optional routing through Pewsey as a bad weather possible. And in Tetbury, the 150km riders will pass Veleton in Tetbury, a café that also does bikes. The new 200 (for 2014) finish avoids Bubbs Hill and A436 climb to ‘TR @ Park Corner $ DAGLINGWORTH’ and use the ‘in reverse’ Corker route to gain the Whiteway and a quiet return. The 150 will also have a Corker variation to avoid the A436 Chatcombe Pitch/Pegglesworth Hill climb from Seven Springs.

Hopefully, it will be a day for the shades.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 + 150/100 15 March 2014
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:11:47 pm »
I'll be there although it is always a shame to leave the Burbage control.

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2014, 08:33:35 pm »
Sadly the BlackSheep flock won't be able to make this one.

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2014, 11:01:44 am »
Last year's event was challenging.  Heavy rain in the morning accompanied by a brisk wind.  The return journey was interesting for those that witnessed the sky changed to an inky black colour. We wondered if we had arrived in Hades, but no we were located somewhere between Lacock and Andoversford.  The temperatures plummeted and the wind blew a gale with a few riders suffering the onset of hypothermia.  Despite this, the control at Burbage made the entire trip worth the effort.

Hopefully, the 2014 event will be kinder.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2014, 11:10:08 am »
It is an exceptionally good route with an exceptional control (Burbage)

2012 was just brilliant. 2013 was in deeply unpleasant conditions.

Relieved to see the final few k of the 200 have changed. Cars were travelling at very high speed round the long bend on the climb. I had one pass a couple of feet from me doing over 60. Closest shave I've had for years

« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2014, 12:31:47 pm »
Entered ! Calendar is looking nice and full now :)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2014, 09:50:35 pm »
I might be up for this.
I wont have the car that weekend though.

Any Bristol riders have any space in their car for an endurance athlete with boyish good looks?
GSOH essential.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:21:30 pm »
Hope you have endured my silence but in the last couple of weeks I have been riding the 3 Routes, confirming Controls, de-snagging poor roads and avoiding road closures (Fosse Way bridge).

The 2014 (Zip) versions of the routesheet and gpx are now on the AUK website. They miss useful route mapping and I know some may not be able to unzip (I have not mastered this yet?). I will be sending out proper printable routesheets and GPX route later this week.  The 100 and 200 are also on the ‘Ride with GPS’ website, using Key words: 3peaker and AUK. I designed a 150k route but when I rode it, it did not want to take me where I knew it went. And I was not drunk till after visiting the Woolpack in Slad, to celebrate Laurie Lee’s 100th (born 26 Jun 1914), with a (what else) Old Rosie cider. Anyone who knows the Cotswolds Corker Perm will recognise the finale section after Foston’s Ash. No flooding to worry about but glad it wasn’t a couple weeks earlier. I intend to ride the Flyer 200 next Thursday to deliver Control packs and sample the soup at the Burbage Control.

Entries are double last year’s finishing list, so parking will be at a premium. 150k and 100k riders may need to park on Station Road in the Village.
SteveP

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2014, 10:37:13 pm »
Just entered the 100, and a friend will be imminently doing the same. The route looks a stunner, I can't wait - hope the weather holds out!

« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2014, 10:13:03 am »
Thank you, 3Peaker.  Another great effort by the sound of it.  I may break that habit of a life time - not being a DNS  :facepalm:
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #10 on: 07 March, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »
Any Bristol riders have any space in their car for an endurance athlete with boyish good looks?
GSOH essential.

I knew this forum was a front for Bad Stuff  :'(

In reply, no, but you could give me a backy there on your bike, that way I won't lose my RRTY like I am going to otherwise due to surgery  :D

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2014, 12:53:01 am »
I shall be riding again! This is a truly awesome route folks, and I'm sure we will be shone on...,,
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2014, 01:13:55 am »
GSOH essential.

I knew this forum was a front for Bad Stuff  :'(

In reply, no, but you could give me a backy there on your bike, that way I won't lose my RRTY like I am going to otherwise due to surgery  :D

Never liked giving "seaters" to lads....just wasn't quite right. Welcome to have a Crommer though?
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #13 on: 14 March, 2014, 01:03:10 am »
Looks like a big charity deal for the 2 Controls. Uffington WI really happy and Burbage 'Fill the Gap' Church Group have freezers full of soup. I rode the 200 today (Thurs). Foggy and cold to start. Some lying water (water splash but might be down more on Sat) approaching Lambourn. Fog cleared at Lambourn and then shady by Lacock. Excellent (near full) moon for superb night phase after Tetbury; but chilled down to 2.5deg approaching dark. Snowdrops dying back but Daffodils taking over; natures magic!

Happy? what do you expect with 200 riders heading for the first Control and 80 going on to Burbage.

Looks like the weather will hold. See you on Sat
SteveP

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 14 March, 2014, 01:31:07 am »
I might be up for this.
I wont have the car that weekend though.

GSOH essential.

I'm driving up from Somerset, so can go through Bristol. PM me your location if you still want a lift.

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 15 March, 2014, 12:32:19 am »
Feline replaced my mudguards for me. So I'm good to go.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #16 on: 15 March, 2014, 05:23:27 am »

Feline replaced my mudguards for me. So I'm good to go.

Hopefully won't need them much today !  :)

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #17 on: 15 March, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »
If carlsberg made audaxes.....

Great day, great ride, great cake.

Should have eaten more tho, started feeling a bit  :sick: after 90k lol

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #18 on: 15 March, 2014, 06:31:04 pm »
Same here. I'd breezed out to Uffington strongly, but I had forgotten that the return leg was both mostly uphill and into a ferocious headwind. I thought I had enough in the tank, but at about 85km my legs had decided that they'd had enough. Spent the last 20km or so utterly hanging, but limped back to the arrivee eventually.

« Reply #19 on: 15 March, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »
The run out to uffington with that tail wind was idillic, proper nice pace.
Think I did a similar thing, gave it the beans going past the airfield and suffered a bit later.

« Reply #20 on: 15 March, 2014, 06:45:33 pm »
Ah well, another glorious British DNF failure for me. I'd realised by Lambourne that I just wasn't feeling up to the full 200, so turned off there and and meandered back via Shrivenham/Highworth, then cutting across the Cotswolds to (almost) Sapperton (not going down that silly hill to The Bell, obviously) where I rejoined the route. 145k in total, and my average speed (barely 18kph) and general knackeredness towards the end confirmed that for once I'd made a sensible decision – no way could I have done (or at least done without serious misery) another 60k at that point. Assuming average speed fell further (highly likely), it would have been a long day in the saddle. No particular reason, just not enough miles this year, working too hard, and very little sleep for the last 3 nights.

So on the plus side, a lovely ride in brilliant weather. The road from Lambourne to Highworth turned out to be fantastic, btw

On the downside, I missed the Burbage control (which, as any fule kno, is by miles the best control in the history of audax), and of course wimped out of the main event and (of essentially zero concern) failed to get the points.

« Reply #21 on: 15 March, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »
What a fantastic day out 8)

Really enjoyed getting a nice chain gang on the go as we headed out to Uffington...pulling like a diesel ;D

The way to Burgage was lovely, especially the section through Savernake & rewarded by nice soup & cakes at the control.  The stiff headwind to Lacock tested the legs a bit, but a tailwind & being fuelled by Ice cream & Pepsi for the last section was great.  Thoroughly enjoyed the company of Adam & Steve as well & all in all couldn't have asked for a better day out :D

Thanks Steve & your helpers...great job :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #22 on: 15 March, 2014, 07:08:42 pm »
Rode the first quarter to the control with Bairdy, Lordy etc more or less, and at a fairly steady pace, letting other groups go by. Lordy had a puncture so Bairdy slowed a bit more and I was happy to toodle along. The idea was to wait at the control, but we were about to hit the hilly section, and I knew we would not stay together, so I elected to bounce the control and get my head down and fly...

I let the genie out of the bottle for a while and caught just about everybody up, and bounced all the other controls !!

Got to Lacock Stables Cafe to find Pete (PAC), Adam and Steve eating ice creams, so apart from texting home with an ETA for Mum's Taxi, I headed off to do the final 72 km, expecting that group to come sailing by pretty quickly.  That didn't happen, and I had ridden alone to just 8 kms to go when I heard some bikes behind me.  Yep they caught me with 8 to go !!  Then they descended that daft hill with the crappy gravelly off camber left hander, at enormous KPH, and dropped me from my wheelsucking...  I wonder whether any of them could have caught me riding alone? (It's not a race though!!!!!) Still got to the arrive within a couple of minutes of them anyway. 

It was also nice to catch up to and ride with Chris from VC167 for a while. He's a real gent !!!

8 hours 33 mins - not bad, considering  O:-) ;D :smug: 8) ::-)

A really great route, with perfect weather.  Thanks 3peaker  :thumbsup:

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #23 on: 15 March, 2014, 07:28:52 pm »
Well, that was an absolutely stunning route through the most beautiful parts of England.  In fact, probably my favourite route to date.  Thanks for organising Steve and all the helpers, great event!

After a bit of a struggle at the start with tired legs, I eventually settled in to a good few miles with Peter who is a machine and a real pleasure to ride with.  We made a decision to spend the day riding as a pair, which would have suited me just fine......but then wooosssh Peter takes a wrong turn and I just have no hope of catching him.  So I wait for a while thinking he would return...nothing.  Another bike comes past and I ask if he has seen anyone.  He says yes, a guy pedalling like a madman going in the opposite direction.  I had to make the decision to ride on as I knew I wouldn't have the legs for goodness-knows how many miles trying to find him.  If you are reading this, hope you got back ok Peter!

Normally I tend to get my head down and work counting down the Km's, but that was just not happening today (too tired at the end of a few intense weeks of training)...this was a really good thing as, once I accepted I just had to back off and make sure I got round, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, Cotswold villages, little streams, white horse and endless traffic-free lanes.   At 175km I even thought, oh, only 25 km to go, that's a shame, it's so gorgeous here, I'd happily ride for several more hours.  By 190 km however, I was thinking FFS PLEASE END I MAY JUST LIE IN THIS VERGE AND SLEEP.  Oh audaxing - such a rollercoaster of emotions haha.   ;D

Great to see everyone - I won't try and name you all for fear of missing people out, but you know who you are.  Great to meet the lovely Mrs-bikey-mikey too!
Does not play well with others

« Reply #24 on: 15 March, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »
Really enjoyed the ride today!

Started strongly and followed Steve of Evesham Wheelers who hit the front early, kept  a strong pace (or so we thought) until a peloton swallowed us at about 30km (guess).

Proceeded to ride in the big group until Uffington. Agreed with Steve not to stop for long .... then proceeded to cake myself and promptly lost Steve and the group who decided to crack on.

I tried to chase them down but wasn't helped by turning the wrong way out of the control.... A little despondent at this stage, I soldiered on solo until a Red jersey appeared on the horizon. This chap said he was on the Audax but looked like he was suffering somewhat so I passed by in the hope of seeing the big group again. Turned out the red jersey chap was the first 200k rider back to the arrivee!! Dont think he's into stopping much! great effort though. Apparently the suffering look his just his style of riding!

So I turned up at Burbage at 89k to a lovely greeting from all the helpers who said I was the first rider they'd seen! :S I was a little baffled by this, as I knew there was a big group up the road ... so I ate some cake

Sure enough about two minutes later the group turned up - they'd missed the turn and done a few extra miles

Rode the rest of the way with Peter and Steve - thanks for the great company

Ice creams at Lacock where we saw plenty of riders come and go http://instagram.com/p/lkLSdEo1a-/

Mixture of headwinds and blissful tailwinds on the home leg.

Saw Bikey Mikey at 8km to go! Descended the last hill into gravelly corner like a demon!

I was pleasantly surprised with my strength in the final quarter which bodes well for Barry's Bristol Ball Buster and the Buckingham Blinder. I can only hope the conditions were as lovely as they were today!