Author Topic: Gospel Pass 200/Yatmon 150/Hoarwithy 100 14 Jun 14  (Read 3720 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Gospel Pass 200/Yatmon 150/Hoarwithy 100 14 Jun 14
« on: 03 June, 2014, 02:46:55 am »
With the season coming into max daylight, how about going for a route into Wales (almost) from Apperley (nr Cheltenham). This year we are using the Pandy VH to provide bikey food to charge batteries for the epic Gospel Pass climb and the return to Apperley via Grosmont, Hoarwithy and the Marcle Ridge. This will be the 1st time I have provided pre-paid food, mainly to save riders Pub prices and to ensure folk are well-prepared in this backwater (for shops). I have recruited a local team of ladies and have promised to support their charity, S Wales Mountain Rescue, as a gesture of thanks.

I may need to fine-tune the route as a result of landslips during the Winter. I will be emailing R/Ss and gpx when I finalise details. Following my head-banger at end-March, I am returning to normality, having been relieved of my neck brace but stiff neck and hurty ribs still preclude heavy climbing. Just done my (easy) Jun RRTY 200, so energy now on final prep for Apperley rides.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Bugloss

Re: Gospel Pass 200/Yatmon 150/Hoarwithy 100 14 Jun 14
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2014, 04:54:18 pm »
Sounds good, but alas I'm in Belgium then and will be dreaming of Italian titanium beauties. Run it next year and I'd love to join in.

Hope it goes swimmingly. Not litterally though.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »
I'll be doing the YatMon on the tandem with my wife, Erica. It's her first audax, so do say hi.  :)

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:07:01 am »
I am in for the GP200, and bringing a couple of club mates new to the weird and wonderful world of audax  :thumbsup:

Glad to hear of the village hall control, I'm sure that will be appreciated!

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:23:37 am »
I'm in too. It'll be good to see you on the road again Henry  :thumbsup:
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2014, 03:16:48 pm »
I'm doing the 200. Having only ever ridden Gospel Pass in the North-South direction on Nik's 150 I'm "looking forward" to trying it the other way round!

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »
I'm just about able to squeeze the GP200 in whilst moving house. Going to ride from Clevedon to the start and back again if anyone wants to join me for some early morning miles :-)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2014, 04:55:02 pm »
Right, priority now to buy your Pandy lunch/tea. All route info despatched, so hope you all find Apperley.

Anyone wanting a late entry, just email and PayPal and all should be OK. Weather looks to be OK.
SteveP

Trailhound

• Too much Mardle makes you late!
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »
I am in.  :P
Riding across from Norfolk, mc not cycle, cycle on the back!
Anyone got a gpx with less waypoints as can't load current one. My inept use of computer.
Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Tim.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2014, 01:23:57 pm »
Gaar and splutter. I had intended to ride the 150 but I've been so meticulously organised that I have neither entry nor train. Oh well, I really don't like the cattle grid where the road from Bishop's Norton joins the B4213, anyway!  :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »
Me and my bruised derrière (from last weekends Peacocks & Kites 300) will be there. Second Audax so be gentle win me  :o
'just riding on two wheels in search of my personal nirvana'

'sui generis'

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2014, 05:19:12 pm »
I'm just about able to squeeze the GP200 in whilst moving house. Going to ride from Clevedon to the start and back again if anyone wants to join me for some early morning miles :-)

Sounds good but not possible for me this time. Look forward to meeting there though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2014, 05:29:07 pm »
Well, I now have a weekend of work instead.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2014, 05:24:03 am »
Fingers crossed, Erica's back is recovering well, so we'll start the 150, with the risk of packing and me somehow dragging her back to the start if it gets painful.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2014, 09:14:51 am »
I was meant to be helping out today, but unusually for the Flight Commander instructions have been vague, can anyone please PM me his mobile number?

Looks like a fine day for it in the Black Mts you lucky 200 riders :thumbsup:

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »
Many thanks Steve, Mark and all the other helper. We had a great ride.

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »
Well done everyone, lots of firsts, and the lads seemed to beat their dads.

Everyone must have enjoyed themselves, as no-one seemed to be in a great hurry to get back to arrivee.

Lanterne rouge had just entered the arrivee car park (9:15pm) as team BlackSheep were leaving for the fold.

Well done Erica and James - that was a brave ride to do on a tandem  :thumbsup:. Sam beat Alastair by 1 minute  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Nice to see riders' experimenting with interesting bits of kit on their bikes, top marks to the gent that was trying-out some LOOK cleats, just a pity the bike was clad with SPDs.  :hand:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #17 on: 14 June, 2014, 11:26:03 pm »
I was not sure if I was up to the task of a 200k with 3 AAA's, as yet again down
with a bug.  But if I kept it steady would I get round - I worked out an ave pace with plenty
of time for stops and food/drink. The weather was on my side and I new most of the route.

I went well to Monmouth (very difficult not stopping in Spoons) but with the kind offer from another
cyclist of biscuits I carried on to Pandy.  Where were we assured a feast and not disappointed.  With
goodies in my back pocket I headed off for the Gospel Pass and it was a lovely climb.  Not stopping in
Hay and continuing for more of the Pandy feast I set off.  I was not prepared for this climb and the heat of
the day was more than enough.  I worried this climb was going to continue for 20k
but once over the top I flew (ok it seemed like it) back to Pandy and more yummy food from the lovely
ladies.

Setting off with Carol we made good progress and were at Much Marcle without too much trouble.
Here we were caught up by a few lads and I really wanted to have a coke at the pub and a few moments
so I suggested to Carol she pushed on with them as she had a long drive home.

As it happened I only arrived a few minutes after the group.

A lovely route, great food and kind ladies at Pandy.

Thank you Steve and team for a grand day out.

« Reply #18 on: 14 June, 2014, 11:34:43 pm »
Thanks to Steve, Mark and the ladies at Pandy great days riding.
Not sure about some of the rough roads though.
Knackered now,  extended the ride to 400km from Clevedon and back!
Blog report to follow.
Gareth

Reg.T

« Reply #19 on: 15 June, 2014, 08:28:54 am »
Yep, that was a really good event. I'll echo the thanks above to Steve and all of the helpers at the two manned controls.

Overslept by 40mins in the morning, so had to rush to get to Apperley just in time for the start. Sorry to miss you Henry - hope you had a grand day out too. Good to see some other familiar faces on the road though, and to make a few new acquaintances.

Wasn't sure whether to ride on gears or fixed, but plumped for fixed (with a rather noisy new chain) in the end. [Edit: Wanted to see how I'd cope with long descents now that I've been riding fixed for a bit longer - happy to report that I found it much more manageable than I have in the past.]  Walked a few sections, especially on the climb out of Hay. Chose to follow the 'classic' route over Orcop Hill, which was worth it for views and I think was also somewhat quicker than the diversion. Enjoyed the final leg even with a little light rain, and managed to do it in under the hour to finish in my normal 200 time. Which was nice.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #20 on: 15 June, 2014, 11:43:38 am »
I suppose I can say my Experiment to use Pandy VH worked. I almost felt redundant with CountrySickness and the ‘Pandy Girls’ stealing the ‘Hub’. Before the event, I can say I refunded fees for a few folk who had the courtesy to advise a ‘No Show’.

Thanks for your comments.

Now that the Apperley/GP200 series has been running for a few years, I would like a few clues as to how to mould the events for the future:

How did you find the Pandy Control?

Pre-paid food or pay at the desk (This was a volunteer kitchen team with no previous knowledge of cyclists needs)?

Choice of food/Quantity?

Route OK? I drove the Garway route back from Pandy, as I could not pre-ride it; I can only apologise for the ‘lane to a farm’ feeling and have a better alternate route for the future, although hopefully returning to Orcop Hill. Also, while I routed you Clock over the GP, there is no reason for not including an AC option, as it is a Pandy-GP loop. I prefer the Clock version for road quality and ride enjoyment.

Did the World Cup determine a no ride?

Date? I avoided the clash with perennial BC400 and BCM600, thinking that the date away might encourage more riders. But numbers about the same. The event can take many more next year.
SteveP

Reg.T

« Reply #21 on: 15 June, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »
How did you find the Pandy Control?
I just followed the GPS track.... ;D
It was good. Friendly (sorry I didn't clock it was CountrySickness helping out) and comfortable.

Pre-paid food or pay at the desk (This was a volunteer kitchen team with no previous knowledge of cyclists needs)?
Not bothered. Pre-paid probably simpler for you, as income is known in advance, so would suggest sticking with that.

Choice of food/Quantity?
No complaints here.

Route OK? I drove the Garway route back from Pandy, as I could not pre-ride it; I can only apologise for the ‘lane to a farm’ feeling and have a better alternate route for the future, although hopefully returning to Orcop Hill. Also, while I routed you Clock over the GP, there is no reason for not including an AC option, as it is a Pandy-GP loop. I prefer the Clock version for road quality and ride enjoyment.
Good route. As mentioned above I went via Orcop. It occurred to me that I could have done the GP loop A/C, and that it might have been a bit more fixed-friendly that way (though not sure).

Did the World Cup determine a no ride?
Obv. not, but I did fall asleep for all aut the first/last 15mins of it  :facepalm:

Date? I avoided the clash with perennial BC400 and BCM600, thinking that the date away might encourage more riders. But numbers about the same. The event can take many more next year.
I'd prefer minimal clashes on SW rides to maximise the number of opportunities to ride without going too far afield.

« Reply #22 on: 15 June, 2014, 02:33:26 pm »
Steve,

In Monmouth there was an instruction:

[/size]TR after L bend
 [/size]Toilet Block on R bef Monnow Bridge
[/size]End of YR - Monmouth 58.82km 10:58<>13:43[/b]
[/size]*Self-Control on High St – Bank ATM/Till Rec
[/size]Closed Preferred Route Grosmont-Hoarwithy:
[/size]**TR $ GARWAY __________________  800m
[/size]TL $ CP46 Hereford(on R Bend descent)2.76km
[/size]TR @ T No $ To BAGWYLLYDIART ____ 760m
 [/size]TL $ Saddlebow Hill.Thro’ ORCOP HILL4.25km
[/size]
I wasn't sure what to make of the instructions (above) in red. It took me a while to realise that [/font]
after the TR after L bend, the next instruction should have been :
Cross R Monnow under Arch (old brdg) ___[/font]
[/font]
[/size]TR No $ Narrow Track (Trikes miss this!)________1.66k: took me down a narrow track which ended at a metal fence,behind which was a green meadow. I retraced back to the A466 and took the next right turn.Must admit being a little confused by seeing the references to trikes in the routesheet. Anyhow, nice views in Wales and many miles in my legs. [size=78%]

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #23 on: 15 June, 2014, 03:03:44 pm »
Steve,

In Monmouth there was an instruction:

[/size]TR after L bend
 [/size]Toilet Block on R bef Monnow Bridge
[/size]End of YR - Monmouth 58.82km 10:58<>13:43[/b]
[/size]*Self-Control on High St – Bank ATM/Till Rec
[/size]Closed Preferred Route Grosmont-Hoarwithy:
[/size]**TR $ GARWAY __________________  800m
[/size]TL $ CP46 Hereford(on R Bend descent)2.76km
[/size]TR @ T No $ To BAGWYLLYDIART ____ 760m
 [/size]TL $ Saddlebow Hill.Thro’ ORCOP HILL4.25km
[/size]
I wasn't sure what to make of the instructions (above) in red. It took me a while to realise that [/font]
after the TR after L bend, the next instruction should have been :
Cross R Monnow under Arch (old brdg) ___[/font]
[/font]
[/size]TR No $ Narrow Track (Trikes miss this!)________1.66k: took me down a narrow track which ended at a metal fence,behind which was a green meadow. I retraced back to the A466 and took the next right turn.Must admit being a little confused by seeing the references to trikes in the routesheet. Anyhow, nice views in Wales and many miles in my legs. [size=78%]
Question of understanding/looking how I used Bold,** and >>>> to guide you around information on the Routesheet.

I found the narrow track with centre grass strip, which actually bears L before the fence, when I recce'd this lane on Trike; so, a friendly warning to fellow Trikies to AVOID. OK on solo but still a bit rough.
SteveP

« Reply #24 on: 15 June, 2014, 06:11:58 pm »
Steve and Helpers (including the infamous Riggers aka Mark Rigby)

Thank you for another great adventure in Wales on a very, very hot day- The Pandy control worked really well for me compared to previous pub attempts so I do hope you will run this format again in next years calendar.

One of the reasons why i love riding in Wales................. Black Mountains seen from above Pandy

Purely ride fixed