Author Topic: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 (+150, 100km) 19 MARCH 2016  (Read 2374 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 (+150, 100km) 19 MARCH 2016
« on: 25 February, 2016, 07:27:36 pm »
It is the Cheltenham Racing Festival on 15-18 March. And the next day, Sat 19 March, is CHELTENHAM FLYER 200, one of the earliest (AUK History) Spring Calendar Events. So, easy to remember? We also have a couple shorter events, which also follow the delightful River Coln to Fairford, CIDER WITH ROSIE 150km (returns up the Slad Valley, famous for the eponymous book) and CHARACTER COLN 100km (you can retrace your out route or take a higher Cotswold adventure via Chedworth). There is an Audax ride for most levels of interest; sorry, no AAAs on these. The Flyer travels the Coln Valley via Bibury and ventures into Wiltshire through Lambourn (Valley of the Racehorse) to include the Vale of Pewsey and Lacock before returning via Tetbury and The Whiteway.

Entries are trickling in. The Controls in Fernham and Burbage are run by Charity-based groups (WI and Church) and have supported these events for several years; that also ensures a drying place, if the weather turns nasty.

We (Cheltenham CTC) look forward to your entry.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Re: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 (+150, 100km) 19 MARCH 2016
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2016, 06:35:08 pm »
A great day out on probably the best catered 200 in the area. The usual cracking cake stop at the first control and then the truly gorgeous people at the second control who lift your spirits and remind you that there are some lovely people out there. Rode that section with Colin 'Parrot Pedaller', who was quite the man about town when he got amongst the control ladies.  Also rode the next 1.5 stages with Colin and his affable friend, Rob. My legs failed me near Tetbury and I had to stop and eat my emergency sandwich. I put that down to a blistering 18mph first 50 miles, some by myself and most with John and Ian of Hereford.

Now to refuel ready for a 5.15am alarm in order to get to Exeter to ride the Coasts and Quantocks 200.

Thank you, Steve, for all your hard work and enthusiasm.

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2016, 07:26:26 pm »
The was the 4th DNS in six months for me, thanks to a toddler acquired illness  :'(

Such a shame to miss out on such a great route.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »
Rode that section with Colin 'Parrot Pedaller',
Is he the white-bearded guy on a Thorn with a fluffy parrot strapped to his rack pack, who says "It's the only thing my wife ever gave me"? I presume he is.

Oh, and are you the bloke with glasses and a helmet?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:00:22 pm »
Colin 'Parrot Pedaller', who was quite the man about town when he got amongst the control ladies

Is he the white-bearded guy on a Thorn with a fluffy parrot strapped to his rack pack, who says "It's the only thing my wife ever gave me"? I presume he is

None of the above is remotely correct. I can confirm, however, that  Doity Rat can turn on the charm in his relentless  quest for an extra slice of "chocolate plug".  Don't ask  :facepalm:

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2016, 12:03:59 am »
Colin 'Parrot Pedaller', who was quite the man about town when he got amongst the control ladies

Is he the white-bearded guy on a Thorn with a fluffy parrot strapped to his rack pack, who says "It's the only thing my wife ever gave me"? I presume he is

None of the above is remotely correct. I can confirm, however, that  Doity Rat can turn on the charm in his relentless  quest for an extra slice of "chocolate plug".  Don't ask  :facepalm:

I hope you are not suggesting the Burbage team were only pampering DR. I am quite open to more 'criticism', as long as it sounds as complimentary as DR suggests. I have strong and enthusiastic teams at both Fernham (Uffington WI) and Burbage and can assure you both Teams take your welfare very seriously.

Booked again for 18 Mar in 2017!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2016, 02:48:13 pm »

I hope you are not suggesting the Burbage team were only pampering DR. I am quite open to more 'criticism', as long as it sounds as complimentary as DR suggests. I have strong and enthusiastic teams at both Fernham (Uffington WI) and Burbage and can assure you both Teams take your welfare very seriously.

Booked again for 18 Mar in 2017!

Of course, no complaints from me.  Other than dyslexia, DR has no grounds for a grumbell either

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2016, 05:22:54 pm »
Every Thursday,  12-2pm.

Not that you'll need reminding,  Colin. ;)