Author Topic: Deliveroo - knobheads on bikes  (Read 10650 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Deliveroo - knobheads on bikes
« Reply #25 on: 10 June, 2017, 10:37:39 pm »
Today, in York:

Bunbury overtakes Deliveroo rider (D had just turned into the road, so not surprising)
Deliveroo rider overtakes Bunbury
Deliveroo rider suddenly swerves right, with a Bunbury on his tail and slightly to the right of him in the road
Bunbury slams on brakes, screaming "INDICATE, FUCKHEAD!!"

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26 on: 10 June, 2017, 10:58:10 pm »
To relieve the stress, here's a pic of our Deliverooist not being a knob-head:

burghead1 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2017, 11:25:52 pm »
Is Uber Eats basically Deliveroo with a less interesting name?  I followed a rider for some distance earlier, and no knobhead behaviour was observed.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 12 June, 2017, 12:35:28 pm »
I've always presumed Uber Eats is a branch of Uber dedicated to transporting takeaways not people.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 12 June, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »
I've seen riders with Deliveroo branded clothing & UberEats backpacks,  so I'd guess there is some crossover between the two.   People will sign up with both to double the chance of work.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #30 on: 14 June, 2017, 11:24:05 am »
They exist as two separate entities but as the riders are 'self employed' they can work for both. According to my pal Ben NOTP it is difficult to be signed on to both companies at the same time. He should know, he's earning a ridiculous amount of money for riding his bike 11-12 hours a day...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #31 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:57:13 pm »
Some Deliveroo pillock just steered himself off the bike bit on the shared use path onto the pedestrian bit so that he could swerve at my cat who was sitting down having a think. He missed by a couple of inches.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #32 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »
That's disgraceful: any cyclist who could miss something as big as a cat is a menace.  Seriously, did Pete notice?  Cats are frequently in a different dimension.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #33 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:32:34 pm »
I'm not sure!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #34 on: 19 June, 2017, 10:38:00 pm »
That's ma boy!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #35 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:21:36 pm »
Deliveroo do a *lot* of business where I live (Brixton) and some where I work (Croydon).  Their cycle couriers in those areas seem to be well-behaved - just a bit lacking in lights. 
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #36 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:09:17 pm »
They exist as two separate entities but as the riders are 'self employed' they can work for both. According to my pal Ben NOTP it is difficult to be signed on to both companies at the same time. He should know, he's earning a ridiculous amount of money for riding his bike 11-12 hours a day...

But not any more. It would appear that if you are very successful then other people get jealous, invent 'complaints' and after a certain number 'Roo terminate your contract.

So a change of jersey to Uber . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

dim

« Reply #37 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:09:45 pm »
bear in mind, that many/most Deliveroo cyclists are young and are students ...

How does your son cycle when he cycles to College? ....  ;)

does your son or daughter cycle whilst facebooking with their hands off their handlebars?
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 12 July, 2017, 10:31:23 am »
In other words "do young people cycle like middle aged people drive?"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:12:53 pm »
In other words "do young people cycle like middle aged people drive?"

POTD

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #40 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:55:43 pm »
I've been thinking*...  Deliveroo riders should have to carry their cargo strapped to their stomachs, not on their backs.

* rarely a good sign.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #41 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:58:58 pm »
Junior did a ride up the local Big Hill ( the Cairn o'Mount ) this weekend, and he wore his deliveroo top!

At the summit, he was joking with other cyclists that he was just delivering a pizza to someone at the summit.

« Reply #42 on: 16 August, 2017, 06:49:08 am »
So, would the financial incentive result in you pavement riding and red light jumping dim?

I think that I know the answer...   
Wouldn't be surprised.  Exactly the same motivation that means most motorised couriers are also knobheads in control (debatable I know) of a vehicle.  Stupidly tight delivery windows and large numbers of deliveries to make and penalties for failing to meet stupidly ambitious targets set by a salaried bean counter in a nice comfortable office.

I'd disagree - they know that any time they can't ride through broken bones or broken bike means no money, so they don't take unnecessary risks. Saving a few seconds here and there does not stack up well against a few days or weeks of no income at all. Barring a few knobheads, most motorbike couriers seem to be among the better two-wheelers on the roads. Similarly with cycle couriers, they are generally the ones waiting at the red lights while the commuters sail through, they know it's only a matter of time before they get a tug which may cost the whole afternoon's earnings. They also know they will gain more time by reading the road ahead than 30 seconds stopped at the lights.

watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBeuK0ovASM&t=119s

There's a pay phone in that.. The guy must be drawing his pension by now?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #43 on: 16 August, 2017, 08:35:47 am »
The Deliveroo cyclists aren't brilliant, but not a lot worse than the average cyclist on the roads around London, including the presence (or lack thereof) of lights.  The Deliveroo mopeds however, are about as bad as the cyclists, which is worse than the average P2W, and more of a threat when they're significantly heavier and faster than a pedal cycle.

Arguably a professional cyclist ought to be more competent than others, however that certainly isn't true of professional drivers of Private Hire Vehicles, who are definitely at the bottom of the list of competent road users.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #44 on: 16 August, 2017, 09:06:14 am »
Junior did a ride up the local Big Hill ( the Cairn o'Mount ) this weekend, and he wore his deliveroo top!

At the summit, he was joking with other cyclists that he was just delivering a pizza to someone at the summit.

Blimey.  Just looking at the tech, the vehicles and the adverts.   That footage must be over twenty years old.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:01:24 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68558464

So subbing a job means they're not covered by Deliveroo's insurance, and that includes public liability.

I shan't be using them.  I doubt Just Eat is any better.

*** Tasteless joke alert ***
(click to show/hide)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #46 on: 20 March, 2024, 12:34:53 pm »
You beat me to it Mr. 'zilla.

Oddly I haven't visited this thread for a while but recently I have experienced two near misses from idiots on their electric scooters with a delivery pod on their backs.  Different riders probably but nearly the same outcome.  And then about a week ago I heard a crash whilst in the pedestrian area of our town centre.  I turned to see a mess of rider, bike and delivery box.  It looked like speedy had gone for a gap just too small between pedestrian and post.  The post appeared to have won.

« Reply #47 on: 20 March, 2024, 02:04:18 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68558464

So subbing a job means they're not covered by Deliveroo's insurance, and that includes public liability.

I shan't be using them.  I doubt Just Eat is any better.

*** Tasteless joke alert ***
(click to show/hide)

Motorbike or motorscooter rider though, not a bicycle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #48 on: 20 March, 2024, 02:20:02 pm »
I don't understand why Uber, Deliveroo and others are allowed to call their workers self-employed when it's all branded stuff they do. I think the 'employer' should take liability WHOEVER is doing the job, or insist the original contracted entity has suitable insurance.

Weird story tho. I mean the whole randomly biting the guy. Was there more to it? Doesn't seem to be any mitigation provided.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:34:18 pm »
Weird story tho. I mean the whole randomly biting the guy. Was there more to it? Doesn't seem to be any mitigation provided.
He raised his hand to Rocha's motorcycle helmet and she bit his thumb.
I suspect "raised his hand" is doing a lot of heavy lifting, or rather covering. Still a weird story!