Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 441037 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1350 on: 27 March, 2019, 12:48:43 pm »
Is the shed okay?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1351 on: 27 March, 2019, 01:18:27 pm »
How's #1 son?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1352 on: 28 March, 2019, 01:37:00 pm »
Them: could you email a scan of <document>?
Me: here is a scan of <document>. Is that sufficient?
Yes, that is what they asked for, you idiot!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #1353 on: 28 March, 2019, 02:03:53 pm »
In my defence, if the tube had been lying the other way up, I’d probably have noticed that it was labelled Germolene, not Colgate...

You don't happen to be tall and fair-haired with one black shoe, do you?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1354 on: 28 March, 2019, 02:10:14 pm »
In my defence, if the tube had been lying the other way up, I’d probably have noticed that it was labelled Germolene, not Colgate...

I had to look that up to get the reference... Not a film I'm familiar with though I must say it sounds right up my street!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1355 on: 28 March, 2019, 03:19:13 pm »

I had to look that up to get the reference... Not a film I'm familiar with though I must say it sounds right up my street!

It was maybe the second film we saw in Paris in 1972, and it's still one of the best I know.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1356 on: 28 March, 2019, 05:14:58 pm »
Not sure I qualify, yet, but time will tell.

After a thorough, 3 month clear out of my garage/workshop, buying some new (or new to me) workshop tools that I'd long hankered after, I've spent the past month staring at a thoroughly tidy and sorted, but empty void. The garden fence is sorted, the dog training is going well, my sax learning is progressing, and my recumbents have every new part they could wish for.  There's nowt left to do.  Other than slide, inexorably, towards a bib when I dribble, and general decrepitude, thinking back on what I might have achieved if only I'd known then what I know now.

No longer.  After some deliberation (well, about an hour) I've taken delivery of a non-running, Canadian re-imported, Triumph 750.  Fortunately with the management's support.

I have form with British motorcycles, my last one carrying me on a daily 95 mile round trip into London every day when working in Victoria St in the late '70s.  It was the only way I could afford the commute, but it was very heavy on bike maintenance, so I learned my Triumph Twins.

Having retired, and worked through the initial to-do list, I was bored, I needed a tinkering and fettling project.  Hence a return to mucky fingernails (my sax teacher will love that..), long hours searching the internet for parts and advice, and the smell of Jizer (or maybe Muc-off now) in the workshop.

It turns over, has good compression and clearly has done nothing since the engine was re-bulit.  But why did they seem to use any fastener they had to hand when they put the engine back together and couldn't find the bolt they'd taken out?  If that was their mentality, are there any gremlins inside the engine that I can't see?  But there are a number of small parts with it that I'll need, and clearly the original owner had intended to get it running again.  But why did he stop?  Too big a job, a major fault?  Or a simply few years ahead of me on the slippery slope.

But, it has new tyres, the chrome is good, wheels are good, and it's almost all there.

I just hope this isn't going to qualify me as the Div of all time.....  I just hope.......

Phew.  I think I've avoided divishness - but there's one hurdle left.

The Tiger now runs quite nicely.  I had to fettle the carb a few times, and replace the new throttle cable with another new one that was just the correct length.  The first new one I fitted proved to be a bit too short (as in the inner was not as long as it needed to be relative to the outer) so the carb was running at about 1/4 throttle, and no matter how far out I screwed the throttle stop, it made no difference - of course.  I did succeed in shortening it - a bit too much so the adjusters ran out of travel.  Rats.

Then I sussed I'd not driven the jet shroud in quite far enough, and then the pilot jet was blocked.  Then a petrol cock leaked everywhere.  So a second round of bits aquisition was required.

But, today, the new cable and the second fuel cock arrived and I fitted them.

It now does what it should when I close the throttle, it does what it should when I twiddle the slow running air mixture, and it throttles up smoothly in response to the twist grip.  In short, it does what the 1930's design says it should. 

It doesn't clatter any more than you'd expect for a 45 year old agricultural design of typical British motorcycle, made by people who ignored the sophistication of the new bikes arriving from the land of the rising sun, and could not be arsed to invest in new designs and technologies.  We got what we deserved.  It doesn't seem to drip any more oil then my good old, much-missed 1968 Daytona (sob, sob) used to do.  It doesn't billow blue smoke out of the exhausts.  It does have an exhaust blow where the rh pipe goes into the head, but a fix is in hand for that.

There's one remaining opportunity for divvishness:  getting an age-related UK registration number, so it's VED and MOT exempt.  I have filled in the DVLA form, added loads of supporting information and obtained dating certificates for both frame and engine from the Owners Club (who are approved by DVLA in matters relating to proof of age).  I should be entitled to that black and white J plate. Let's see.....  I could still be the biggest div of all time.

« Reply #1357 on: 28 March, 2019, 05:57:16 pm »
I was so pleased with myself for finding a bike space on the train bookings that i forgot to check whether all the places to stay were alreadly booked.

So, time to plan a not-Islay Scottish ride. :facepalm:

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1358 on: 28 March, 2019, 10:21:44 pm »
Camping?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1359 on: 29 March, 2019, 09:17:17 am »
Could do. Though it turns out it is the whisky festival. My trip wasn't built around distillery visits (or i might have realised) but I might find getting away from the crowd easier by changing my plans.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1360 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:51:15 am »
Could do. Though it turns out it is the whisky festival. My trip wasn't built around distillery visits (or i might have realised) but I might find getting away from the crowd easier by changing my plans.

Probably invented by Seagram.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1361 on: 29 March, 2019, 12:09:24 pm »
I got my drone out to take some pictures of the tree fellers1 and because I’ve not flown it for a while, checked it out inside, I pressed the self launch button, having forgotten it flies up 3m on take off. It flew up into a metal lampshade, broke a propeller and thus unbalanced flew into the wall and broke another propeller.  :facepalm:

Wait. There’s more.

I replaced the propellers and took it outside. Flew it around a bit and then decided to try and take a picture of a man in a tree. Concentrating on my subject, I few sideways into the tree because there’s no object warning on the side of the drone. It got hung up in the tree 30m up. And broke another propeller.  :facepalm: Fortunately the tree fellers are happy helpful souls and rescued the drone for me.

1. although I should have them for,misrepresentation because there’s only two of them!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1362 on: 29 March, 2019, 01:48:05 pm »
Well, somebody's got to.....How's the bike?

Remarkably unscathed - as is #1 son. The top case has a small scuff in the lacquer which may be sorted with a little rubbing compound. It's colour matched, such is vanity.

In my defence, SWMBO has ordered the builder to close in our front porch. Builder chappy being a no-nonsense-do-it-properly-builder-bloke he dug out the footings for a dwarf wall, adjacent to the front door of the garage/shed where the mo'bikes live. Reversing a 300 kilo plus rider machine was always going to be a little fraught. Especially when the plywood sheets over the trench proved to be a little ~ flexible. The front wheel slipped into the footing and I couldn't hold it.

Special mention to #1 son who is stronger than he looks...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1363 on: 29 March, 2019, 05:39:47 pm »

Probably invented by Seagram.

Not much to do with Seagram, it's an Island wide thing, focusses on one distillery at a time in rotation, you do need to book early from what I was told last year.  I'll be there outside of the festival
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1364 on: 02 April, 2019, 02:50:52 pm »
Scratching one's ear while holding a craft knife is not a terribly clever thing to do.

I shouldn't be allowed out without a Responsible Adult.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1365 on: 02 April, 2019, 02:53:10 pm »
Scratching one's ear while holding a craft knife is not a terribly clever thing to do.

Should we call you 'Van Guy' from now on?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1366 on: 02 April, 2019, 03:49:15 pm »

Should we call you 'Van Guy' from now on?

It's not quite that bad. It stopped dripping after a few minutes.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1367 on: 02 April, 2019, 04:53:31 pm »

Top tip: Don't answer the phone while doing the ironing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1368 on: 02 April, 2019, 05:17:32 pm »

As a follow up to this, last night my wife put toothpaste on her bum* instead of Voltarol. I laughed solidly for about 10 minutes.

*hip/glute, to be precise, to treat a muscle strain
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1369 on: 02 April, 2019, 06:54:13 pm »
Just DON'T confuse superglue with eye ointment!
PLEASE!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1370 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:25:37 pm »
This sounds like time for the old "Approximately 50% of bisexuals[1] have at some point deliberately covered their genitals in toothpaste" statistic.  The rest of us were boggling with a horror usually only reserved for marmite.

[1] Sample of those who were in [REDACTED]'s flat at the time the question came up.

« Reply #1371 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:40:48 pm »
I was once on a cycling trip where there was a scream of horror from the ladies toilet block.   ******** had got tubes of toothpaste & Canestan confused...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1372 on: 03 April, 2019, 02:45:29 pm »
PLEASE!

Ouch

I know of somoene who confused their eyedrops with high strength e-cig juice juice, most painful I'm told

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1373 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:11:54 pm »
I had a tube of Loctite lurking perilously close to the Flixonase that lives on my desk for a while.  Somehow I managed to evict it downstairs before I made that mistake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1374 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:19:23 pm »
PLEASE!
Ouch
I know of somoene who confused their eyedrops with high strength e-cig juice juice, most painful I'm told
Ouch!

I think my example might have been from a Learned Journal but Learned Journals should be there to teach...