Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428726 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #75 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:16:04 pm »
So what words for a person displaying membership of the Thick Tendency can one use without offending anyone (except the target, obv)?

A Benny

Tied to a tree?

One version has it than "benny" derives from "bender" so is probably offensive to gayers.  If it's him out of "Crossroads" then it's probably OK.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »
Feck is not a swear word.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/12/09/official-its-okay-to-say-feck-224531/

What's acceptable in advertising isn't always acceptable in the office. Totally different contexts.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #77 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:24:51 pm »
So what words for a person displaying membership of the Thick Tendency can one use without offending anyone (except the target, obv)?

A Benny

Tied to a tree?

One version has it than "benny" derives from "bender" so is probably offensive to gayers.  If it's him out of "Crossroads" then it's probably OK.

IIRC, "Benny" was (and probably still is) used as army slang for a resident of the Falkland Islands, and was derived from the aforementioned soap character.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #78 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:39:11 pm »
Tied to a tree?

I'm not falling for that one!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

red marley

« Reply #79 on: 01 February, 2016, 06:42:09 pm »
Div and divvy were common at school in Bristol when I grew up. I had always assumed is was a Bristolian phrase. Helped by the wonderful Moonflowers who used to run 'Divvy Days' of suitably chaotic hippy Moonflowers fun.

Somewhat comically for a Brit, the Chicago equivalent of Boris Bikes are called Divvy Bikes.

Given the examples of divvyness mentioned so far, perhaps a better name for this thread would be 'I'm older now than I once was'.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #80 on: 01 February, 2016, 10:02:38 pm »

A Benny

Tied to a tree?

IIRC, "Benny" was (and probably still is) used as army slang for a resident of the Falkland Islands, and was derived from the aforementioned soap character.

Hence my reference to "Still" upthread.  It goes something like this:

Hofficer: "Soldier, stop calling the residents of the Falklands Bennies. I understand it is a derogatory term, derived from a character in Crossroads."
Soldier:"But Sir"
Hofficer:"Or I shall put you on a charge"
Soldier:"Yes Sah!"
<time passes>
Hofficer:"Soldier, why are you calling the residents of the Falklands 'Stills'?"
Soldier:"Because they're still Bennies, Sah!"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #81 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:12:51 am »
I got my legs waxed before I went to Scotland (one less thing to think about), only the girl didn't do it very well, and left loads of the wax on my legs.

So I went for a wee in the public toilet in the shopping centre, and managed to glue myself to the toilet seat.  The pain on unpeeling myself from the seat was utterly excruciating, to the extent I was making little "ow, ow, ow, oh god, ow,"  noises.  And the backs of my legs had a red toilet seat mark for days.

And tonight, I wore a nice smart tweed skirt, heeled boots, a sweater and hold-up stockings to go to the theatre, along with a fair amount of lippy etc.

Realised when riding my bike to the theatre through the centre of town that my skirt rides up on the bike, exposing my stocking-tops to the mutated denizens of Darlo, and causing a hell of a draught where there isn't supposed to be one.

I'm often amazed they let me vote.   :facepalm:
Milk please, no sugar.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #82 on: 24 March, 2016, 07:01:29 am »
I would have thought you'd have wanted the insulation for Scotland?

I let my beard expand for the winters in Aberdeen and offshore.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #83 on: 24 March, 2016, 07:10:07 am »
Happy to freeze in the cause of beauty ED.  Also spiky legs in a sleeping bag are really annoying.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #84 on: 24 March, 2016, 08:16:39 am »
And tonight, I wore a nice smart tweed skirt, heeled boots, a sweater and hold-up stockings to go to the theatre, along with a fair amount of lippy etc.
You realise there is only one sensible response to that post?

TTIUWP
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #85 on: 24 March, 2016, 08:26:28 am »
Ha! Your description of the pain of sticking to the toilet seat reminds me of sitting on the vinyl seats of my grandpa's Austin Allegro wearing shorts in the summer back when I was a very small Cudzo. Sweaty child legs sticking to the plastic when you get up, very painful. I'd expect the addition of wax makes it objectively more painful and of course the toilet factor, but hey, you're meant to be a grown up!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #86 on: 24 March, 2016, 09:20:01 am »
Happy to freeze in the cause of beauty ED.  Also spiky legs in a sleeping bag are really annoying.
My gran used to say "Dress like the French, frezze like a Dane*"

*this was back when the French, in Denmark, was know to wear very little. Though since I have lived in France I know it is totally opposite. The look of horror I got from the French when I walked around in shorts and t-shirts when it was a balmy 18c in May. Boy can the French wrap up warm, jackets and scarf's, way into June and the 20c+. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

« Reply #87 on: 24 March, 2016, 09:39:16 am »
my honeymoon was in Sicily in March, I was walking around in a pair of chinos and light open necked shirt with those horrified looks from locals in duffel coats and scarves

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #88 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:50:25 pm »
I was born in Singapore and my mum says locals were very disapproving of the light clothes my parents dressed me in, and all the Singaporean babies were wrapped up in woolly jumpers and scarves. They must have been poached alive.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rr

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #89 on: 24 March, 2016, 01:11:15 pm »
Mali in December, 30° at dawn, me in shorts, t shirt and sweat, locals duvet jackets and shivering.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #90 on: 24 March, 2016, 01:41:36 pm »

Realised when riding my bike to the theatre through the centre of town that my skirt rides up on the bike, exposing my stocking-tops to the mutated denizens of Darlo, and causing a hell of a draught where there isn't supposed to be one.

Knickers may have helped.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #91 on: 24 March, 2016, 02:39:49 pm »

Knickers may have helped.

You are VERY NORTY MAN!

...anyone know how to get coffee out of a laptop keyboard?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #92 on: 24 March, 2016, 06:23:38 pm »
Ha! Your description of the pain of sticking to the toilet seat reminds me of sitting on the vinyl seats of my grandpa's Austin Allegro wearing shorts in the summer back when I was a very small Cudzo. Sweaty child legs sticking to the plastic when you get up, very painful. I'd expect the addition of wax makes it objectively more painful and of course the toilet factor, but hey, you're meant to be a grown up!

I remember those plastic seats in the summer, the smell used to make me gag.  And oh, did it burn.

Cooled leg wax is a whole other dimension of Sticky, trust me.

eta:  Andrij, I (nearly) always wear knickers, in fact, due to going out Proper last night I was wearing matching underwear, in case of ambulances.  So there.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #93 on: 24 March, 2016, 10:53:39 pm »
In case of ambulances? Is that Northern for coffee?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #94 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:06:53 pm »
Always have a clean hankie, a shilling for the bus and wear your best underwear in case you are run over and the medical staff see your shoddy knickers.
The sort of advice that I can hear coming from my grandma who was Darlo born and bred.
One can't have these people thinking that you come from a poor house now, can you?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #95 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:17:49 pm »
A colleague once treated a High Up Man from a Financial Institution and noted he had shoddy undies...

ElyDave

« Reply #96 on: 24 March, 2016, 11:31:47 pm »
Well, if he didn't beforehand I'm not surprised he did afterwards

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #97 on: 26 March, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »
I wonder what happened to those knickers that were issued to middle-aged women as standard uniform on your fiftieth birthday.  You never see them any more.  They were made of this kind of aertex stuff, and they were proper knickers that go up to your waist and cover your bum properly.  They came only in white.

Like this.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #98 on: 26 March, 2016, 07:38:21 pm »
Good! I have no problem with sturdy knickers, but they are hideous!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #99 on: 26 March, 2016, 07:39:58 pm »
Good! I have no problem with sturdy knickers, but they are hideous!

Back in the day when I was a wee student nurse ALL the female patients wore those.  Supposedly they were extremely comfortable.
Milk please, no sugar.