Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 438903 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #475 on: 23 July, 2017, 08:58:00 pm »
Snork!   :D  And you were already damp & tired from the ride.   Hope you've managed a hot bath & relaxing cup of tea.

Yeah.  Then I went to work for eight hours.  Then walked home in the rain with no coat.

:facepalm:   Sending virtual hugs.

Nah.  'S fine.  Strangely enough, when I said 'I can't believe I did that' to my colleagues, my friend, and my son, the reply every time was 'I can.'
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #476 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:00:44 pm »
You are the person who turned up to a bunkhouse weekend without a sleeping bag after all...... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #477 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:04:40 pm »
You are the person who turned up to a bunkhouse weekend without a sleeping bag after all...... ;)

Oh!  Yes, I did didn't I  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #478 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:07:07 pm »
Ooh Ruthie, that's verging on type two fun by the sound of it. Hope you're more rested now.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #479 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:11:45 pm »
That sounds like a meander too far to me, Ruthie! Glad your pal was OK with it. Couldn't you charge your phone on the train on the way back? And glad you can see the funny side.

You are not the only person I know who turned up to a weekend without a sleeping bag. One of Jane's pals did this to a Lewisham Cyclists camping weekend once. Fortunately it was a pretty warm weekend and I lent her a blanket. As it happened, there was a 24 hour Tesco next to the camp site and she was able to provide for herself on the second night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #480 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:17:53 pm »
reminds me of returning from honeymoon in Sicily.

My parents had volunteered to drop off some wedding presents on their way home with only a small detour past us.  Gave them the house keys, pop them throuh the letter box when you're done, we'll take the spares.

Got back to Wife's parents, loaded up both cars and set off.  Arrive home very late, spare keys don't fit the lock. 

Fart around a bit in the dark, give up, move stuff between cars, sleep in my car sharing a bottle of grappa for sustenance.

Wake up in the morning and break into the house with my swiss army knife.

Visit the DIY store that afternoon and reinforce the locks
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #481 on: 24 July, 2017, 08:00:24 am »

Tried to break in by bashing the window with some garden furniture.  Furniture bounced off the window.

This story would only have been improved if you'd been arrested for trying to break into your house.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #482 on: 24 July, 2017, 08:31:13 am »
Having locked myself out a few months ago, I learned how insecure our house was.
If a 68 year old can use a drain pipe to get onto an outhouse then in through a window, anyone can. 
That security issue has now been addressed.

In further div news, when I got up this morning, the dog, although pleased to see me, didn't rush down to the basement for the back door as usual.  I went down anyway, calling her after me.  She didn't seem particularly interested, but dutifully followed.
And, of course, there was the back door standing wide open. (Again)
GN.  We weren't murdered in our sleep. (Again)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #483 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:01:45 am »
I didn't get back from London till 0900 today.
Swallowed my pride and went to my friend's house to crash.  My, how she laughed.  I'll never be allowed to forget this one.

:o 

Well, you've certainly had some exciting times recently.  Is the friend you mentioned, by any chance, Jane?   ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #484 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:07:47 am »
I didn't get back from London till 0900 today.
Swallowed my pride and went to my friend's house to crash.  My, how she laughed.  I'll never be allowed to forget this one.

:o 

Well, you've certainly had some exciting times recently.  Is the friend you mentioned, by any chance, Jane?   ;D

Might be  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #485 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:58:23 am »

... and Long Itchington?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #486 on: 24 July, 2017, 10:21:13 am »

... and Long Itchington?

Might have  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #487 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:12:31 am »

Tried to break in by bashing the window with some garden furniture.  Furniture bounced off the window.

This story would only have been improved if you'd been arrested for trying to break into your house.
After having smashed your own windows.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #488 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:08:07 pm »
even if you are a bit pissed, take the extra time to find the lid to the dips before you put them in your pannier to cycle home from the picnic. 

Hummusageddon.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #489 on: 25 July, 2017, 12:14:09 am »
Well you'll certainly be able to spot Mike on a group ride, he'll be the one with the huge cloud of flies around his pannier...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #490 on: 25 July, 2017, 07:48:13 am »
even if you are a bit pissed, take the extra time to find the lid to the dips before you put them in your pannier to cycle home from the picnic. 

Hummusageddon.

Banana energy caramel (tested recipe)

Simple & delicious, this delightful confection will galvanize your long-distance escapades.

Ingredients:

1 banana
4 measures of energy-drink powder (maltodextrin, fructose, what-have-you)

Utensils:

1 saddlebag
1 bike lock with key sticking out (important)
1 well-aged freezer bag

Décor

1 box tyre patches
1 baseball cap
1 CO2 pump
1 roll of black tape

Procedure:

1. Put the drink powder in the well-aged freezer bag. Put this with the other ingredients, utensils & décor in the saddlebag.
2. Put the bag on the bike.
3. Ride.
4. Every 50k, leave the bike standing in the sun for 15 minutes
5. Every 100k, ditto for one hour.
6. Go home. Take bag off bike & toss in cupboard.

If this works as well for you as it did for me, the next time you open the bag you will find that:

1. The well-aged freezer bag has ruptured;
2. The key has penetrated the banana
3. The banana has been macerated by vibration & bumps
4. The resulting mousse has mixed intimately with the energy-drink powder
5. Heat and evaporation have hardened the mixture into caramel, but not before it covered every other article in proximity (the décor)
6. The well-aged freezer bag is stuck firmly to the bottom of the bag, and in wrenching it loose it tears wide open and powders everything else.

If you're lucky, you'll discover all this before your next ride. If not, at 100k from home.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #491 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:04:20 am »
...or two weeks later.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #492 on: 27 July, 2017, 06:25:36 pm »
I appear to have mislaid a stem. A new stem. A new Thomson stem.  :facepalm:

So. What could be more divvy than mislaying an expensive, new, piece of bikedom? Yes, that's right. Never having received it in the first place. Yes I have been tearing the place apart, in a subdued manner.

Ruthie and I  may be related, who knew?

Through an odd series of alternative events, I now have it in my hot stickies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #493 on: 27 July, 2017, 06:55:45 pm »
It's said that there are two hard problems in computer science:  Naming things, cache invalidation and off-by-one errors.

I've just managed to waste about an hour on account of combining both of them.

« Reply #494 on: 28 July, 2017, 05:22:37 pm »
Having selected, cut an prepared the timber for my 2m long cupboard doors with great care and precision I now find the jig upon which they were laid for the glue to set was not quite as true as I though.  Thus I now have two beautiful but ever so slightly warped doors that are not fit for purpose.

Luckily they are only pine and I can use then for shelving.

Nevertheless, Mrs A will not be sympathetic. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #495 on: 29 July, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
...a bit of hot water, a hot air gun mild persuasion and they are now unwarped.  I just need them to dry out to see if they stay like that. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #496 on: 29 July, 2017, 05:17:23 pm »
Sympathy.  I once built a dining table whose top developed a twist once the glue set.  Aggravating.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #497 on: 30 July, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »
I have burnt my face.  :(
Cooking a couple of lamb steaks on Friday.  I had put way too much oil in the pan.  When I turned one of them over it splashed full on hot oil onto my face. (Thank dog for spectacles)
"Ow", I thought, and carried on with the tasks in hand.

Should have cooled the affected areas immediately, but I didn't.  I now have a few very unsightly burn marks on various parts of the old beautiful fizzog.  And they hurt.  And they're getting worse.
Bugger
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #498 on: 30 July, 2017, 06:15:15 pm »
Cooking a couple of lamb steaks on Friday.  I had put way too much oil in the pan.  When I turned one of them over it splashed full on hot oil onto my face. (Thank dog for spectacles)

Should have cooled the affected areas immediately, but I didn't.  I now have a few very unsightly burn marks on various parts of the old beautiful fizzog.  And they hurt.  And they're getting worse.
Bugger

Sympathy.  I did the same thing, but to my chest.  Balancing my hot chocolate on my chest while I was reading in bed I managed to spill it on my chest, right out the microwave.

I didn't realise it had made a huge blister till I scratched it the next morning and all the skin came off.

An attractive burn mark on my chest now.  It really does hurt doesn't it?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #499 on: 30 July, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

Bugger
IS THE MUSTACHE SAFE?
<i>Marmite slave</i>