Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428864 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #525 on: 13 September, 2017, 10:55:56 am »
Printed out a 40 page document to review on the way to work.

Font so small I couldn't read it!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #526 on: 15 September, 2017, 11:23:46 am »
I'm building a MIDI lighting controller. I did the prototyping with an Arduino Nano pushed into a breadboard kit and happily got the five faders and joystick working leaving one spare analogue channel.
Move on and create a smart aluminum panel with slots for the five faders and a hole for the joystick and then look at the Arduino controller that I will be using... It only has 6 analogue channels! BAH!!!!!1!!
(Note - I can't use the Nano as it doesn't allow re-programming the USB interface as a MIDI device)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #527 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:23:51 pm »
My Cateye Enduro computer has an auto start/stop function. I found that out this morning after changing the battery. I'v only had the thing 20 years and never noticed it before. :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #528 on: 19 September, 2017, 09:26:26 am »
When dropping off your bicycle for a service, especially if you've had to go out of your way to do so, it is useful to leave behind the key for your PitLock skewers.  :facepalm:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #529 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:32:17 pm »
I'm working on a large graphic that is overlaid on a faded out map of the world. Earlier I munched a pear. Noticing a little juice splatter mark on my screen I attempted to remove it. It wasn't coming off. So I dabbed some isopropyl alcohol on a cloth and gave it a little more vim. Still not coming off. Hmm, thinks I.

It was only then, after several seconds of hmm, that I realised I was trying to erase St Helena.

« Reply #530 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:37:12 pm »
I'm working on a large graphic that is overlaid on a faded out map of the world. Earlier I munched a pear. Noticing a little juice splatter mark on my screen I attempted to remove it. It wasn't coming off. So I dabbed some isopropyl alcohol on a cloth and gave it a little more vim. Still not coming off. Hmm, thinks I.

It was only then, after several seconds of hmm, that I realised I was trying to erase St Helena.
It was you, wasn't it?

Admit it, you erased Nambia from existence.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #531 on: 01 October, 2017, 07:57:29 am »
Last year I replaced my defunct cordless drill with one of Leroy Merlin's own-brand jobs that came with two batteries and cost < 60 euros. It does the job, although it has a tendency to slip into hammer mode a bit too easily.

Noticed last Thursday that the batteries seem to go flat rather quickly.  Had a closer look this morning: I thought they'd stopped making NiCads 20 years ago. :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #532 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »
Chop veggies, brown chicken bits, put in slow cooker with stock & go off to do something else.

Come back  & realise it was turned off at the wall socket.  :facepalm:       Eating late tonight then...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #533 on: 03 October, 2017, 07:04:49 pm »
When fettling a remote control for the TV wait until the conductive paint you have applied to the backs of the most frequently used buttons is _completely_ dry before reassembling.  Failure to do this will result in a bridged tracks on the PCB and the poor old TV* will sit there going bananas trying to respond to a high speed stream of button clicks.

*Which is a Panasonic and a piece of shit, but it doesn't deserve that kind of grief.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #534 on: 05 October, 2017, 10:34:22 pm »
The other day, I lost an SPD cleat. I'd not bothered stopping to sort it out, although it was obviously loose and getting more awkward to de-clip. And then, it was gone. Changed shoe the next day and found it very difficult to clip in. Odd. Oh well. Put a new cleat on the old shoe and it wasn't much better. Rode it a few days. Gave the bike into  LBS (who had built it) to sort out the brake issue (turned out to be contaminated pads #2. Apparently).

As I collected it, the mechanic handed me a bit of metal with two screws in "You lost a cleat? it was in the pedal"

« Reply #535 on: 05 October, 2017, 10:44:25 pm »
The other day, I lost an SPD cleat. I'd not bothered stopping to sort it out, although it was obviously loose and getting more awkward to de-clip. And then, it was gone. Changed shoe the next day and found it very difficult to clip in. Odd. Oh well. Put a new cleat on the old shoe and it wasn't much better. Rode it a few days. Gave the bike into  LBS (who had built it) to sort out the brake issue (turned out to be contaminated pads #2. Apparently).

As I collected it, the mechanic handed me a bit of metal with two screws in "You lost a cleat? it was in the pedal"
Choice.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #536 on: 06 October, 2017, 08:36:16 am »
THB I felt a bit of a twit myself when I found out that the horrible rattle coming from my bike was due to a loose lock-ring on the cassette. Guess who fitted the thing in the first place.

On extenuation, I'm sure I read somewhere that you don't need to put a lot of force into tightening lock-rings because they tighten naturally as you ride. IMHO they don't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #537 on: 06 October, 2017, 08:37:35 am »
On extenuation, I'm sure I read somewhere that you don't need to put a lot of force into tightening lock-rings because they tighten naturally as you ride. IMHO they don't.

That's freewheels.  Different animal.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #538 on: 06 October, 2017, 01:41:06 pm »
Hum. 40 Nm it says on the box. Must've been freewheels I read that of, right enough.

« Reply #539 on: 09 October, 2017, 03:57:09 pm »
I recently bought a phone off a forum I frequent. Quite an expensive one.  It's not been delivered and the sender didn't insure it, so has been a bit stressed. Today he called and told me the problem. I'd given him the correct address (for work) and the correct postcode (for home)  ::-)

RM say it "may" be returned to him if it's not delivered by Friday.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #540 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:24:34 pm »
DO make sure, folks, to change at least one of the empty dual gas bottles before the Christmas dinner goes into the oven.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #541 on: 10 October, 2017, 11:03:43 pm »
DO make sure, folks, to change at least one of the empty dual gas bottles before the Christmas dinner goes into the oven.

Is it time to get the sprouts on already?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #542 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:41:27 am »

Is it time to get the sprouts on already?
April, traditionally.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #543 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:46:34 am »
I set off out the gate onto the little rural lane this morning, as dawn's rosy fingers were [enough!..Ed.]
I hadn't gone far before I hit a pothole.
"I wonder why I hadn't seen that?" I asked myself.

Aha!  Enlightenment came when I switched on my front light :-[
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #544 on: 11 October, 2017, 12:51:30 pm »
I set off out the gate onto the little rural lane this morning, as dawn's rosy fingers were [enough!..Ed.]

Blimey, she did well to get over that way. Strava says she only did 12km this morning  ???  ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #545 on: 12 October, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »
Last week I realised that I had mislaid the light I attach to the top of my Magic Hat whilst riding at night.  I knew it was somewhere in the house and hunted high and low.  Today I succumbed and bought a new light at a cost of £43.  The new light requires USB charging directly from a PC but I was sure I had a charger that would work that could be plugged into the wall.  Last week I hand tidied the drawer that used to contain such items disposing of some chargers for devices long gone and putting the remainder in the bag.  I rummaged through the bag and guess what I found...?  ::-) :facepalm:

Had the new light not triggered the bag rummaging I wouldn't have found the light for a long time.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #546 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »
Worked late on Tuesday. Dark on leaving work and hadn't thought to bring light so sneaked home on quiet side roads, cycle and mixed use paths. Home safely. On parking up I remembered to grab a light for the following night.

Worked late Wednesday but luckily had light!

However, no bracket to fit it to.

:facepalm:

Cycled home with light held in hand

::-)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #547 on: 13 October, 2017, 02:24:22 pm »
The value of a dynamo...
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #548 on: 20 October, 2017, 11:24:30 pm »
I've just found my tyre levers in the boot of the car, which means I've spent all week commuting with spare tubes, a patch kit and a pump, but no way of removing the tyres to use them :facepalm:

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #549 on: 20 October, 2017, 11:58:49 pm »
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?