Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 438647 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #625 on: 22 November, 2017, 07:59:54 pm »
 ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #626 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:35:00 pm »
Probably even more divvy, but I realised after I'd turned all the radiators off that it's on the magic bathroom circuit and hasn't been working when it's the only radiator that should be on (to dry the towels). Probably some kind of valvage.

May as well call out BG, god knows I pay them a small fortune every month. ("Yes, he does," said God, when asked about the matter earlier.)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #627 on: 25 November, 2017, 11:01:56 am »
Last weekend Mrs Tween asked me to fettle the hot tap in the upstairs bathroom as it wouldn't turn on more than a dribble (again). Isolation valve off, remove guts of tap, clean, spot of red grease, reassemble, open isolation valve, sorted. Apart from, naturally, the multitudinous further fiddling with the isolation valve to get the damn thing to stop weeping.

Fast forward to midweek, I'm away at work & MT informs me all the downstairs lights have gone off. She heard a loud buzzing noise from downstairs before they went off.

Thursday night arriving home I reset the breaker, checked round the house and everthing seemed fine. SET watchful_mode = True.

02:30 today odd noises downstairs.  Remove mouse from cat & put outside (the mouse, putting the cat out would invite a repeat; cat flap is in only)
03:00 more odd noises downstairs. Check location of all cats - not guilty. Wander round and observe blue flashing & bzzzt noises from the off downstairs bathroom light.  Flick breaker off & retire.

Whilt utilising the lower comode at a time approaching civilised hour observe brown stain around the prevously flashy light fitting.  I don't recall that staining, I wonder wonder if theres pipes above that spot...

Loud clang heard across south Gloustershire as Ningi sized penny drops.

Not just pipes, a basin.  A basin with a known to be leaky isolation valve* recently disturbed by me.  Carefully remove glass shade from light fitting and pour away the water therein.
For added Div points I even keep some tissue wrapped around the pipe as a tell tale, I could have known what was going on within seconds of walking in the door Thursday night. I could have asked MT to check the tissue for dampness in the week. I could have checked it myself at oh my god o'clock Monday morning.  I could have checked & fiddled with the isolation valve the required number of times to complete the job properly or even GAMI to change it.  If i only had a brane.

* Is there any other kind?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #628 on: 25 November, 2017, 01:23:00 pm »
In another story of plumbery from long ago, the Inlaw Paw put a bucket under the U-bend from the kitchen sink, unscrewed the plug and let the accumulated gleh & foul water out.  He then handed the bucket to his ever-loving to dispose of.  When he was back in under preparing to put the plug in again she emptied it down the sink.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #629 on: 25 November, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »
In another story of plumbery from long ago, the Inlaw Paw put a bucket under the U-bend from the kitchen sink, unscrewed the plug and let the accumulated gleh & foul water out.  He then handed the bucket to his ever-loving to dispose of.  When he was back in under preparing to put the plug in again she emptied it down the sink.

This is an old plumbing tradition that doesn't usually require an assistant.  I've only done it about three times (usually the washing of hands in a trap-free sink, rather than actually emptying the bucket).

« Reply #630 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:51:53 pm »
Buying one item from M&S, using a self-service till with a temporary notice that only card payments could be used, no cash.

Opened my wallet to take out a payment card, another card fell out and disappeared down a narrow gap in the top of the machine. When I managed to lift the top of the scanner, an assistant rushed up to see what was going on. She opened up the machine and looked inside, but no sign of my card. Another assistant appeared, who managed to spot it by peering down from above, and lifted it using a plastic fork but couldn't get hold of it. I whipped out my penknife and managed to retrieve it.

Mutual congrats all round for teamwork  :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #631 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:38:44 pm »
Managed to coax myself out of the house this afternoon to go for a ride, despite it being flipping freezing out there. Stopped at my favourite café for a coffee and cake and was generally feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Nearly didn't make it home alive.

Basically, I failed to give way when crossing a lane. Rode straight across the path of a fast approaching van. If I'd been half a second later or he'd been half a second earlier....

Totally my own fault and a big lesson in the dangers of complacency - I've crossed that junction something in the region of a million times and that's quite possibly the very first time I've ever encountered another road user coming up the lane. Could easily have been the last too.  :(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #632 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:58:15 pm »
Phew. Eight lives to go.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

citoyen

« Reply #633 on: 05 December, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »
Phew. Eight lives to go.

I suspect I've used up a few more over the years. Not sure how many I've got left, but I don't think I can afford to take too many more chances.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #634 on: 06 December, 2017, 08:36:41 am »
Glad you're still with us, ya big daftie!
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #635 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:02:43 am »
Oof. Glad you missed each other.

« Reply #636 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:57:11 pm »
Every year for many, many years I have managed our (OK, Mrs Ham's) christmas card list by computer. For the past many years, I print off the last year's list for checking and amending, before printing onto labels. Using Microsoft Word, and 2x7 labels in a laser printer.

I start the process. Go to print, out of paper. Open the tray, yes, out of paper. Fill up. Still error. Open doors look for paper. None. Power down printer. Power up printer. Nope. Hmmm. Low toner light is flashing. Go through procedure to reset, including rolled trouser legs and secret handshakes. Still offline. OK. Restart everything. Nope. Printer reset, prints test page. OK, Microsoft, I'm coming for you. PoKe around settings for a while. Delete drivers. Restart. Reinstall. No, still no go. Mind you, I can now print from other programs.

Remember then, that paper size is "A4 labels" with "manual feed". That's where it will never even try to suck up a piece of paper. Change and it bursts into life. Then remember doing the same last year.  :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #637 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:33:54 pm »
 ::-)  ;D
BTDT.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #638 on: 10 December, 2017, 06:57:27 pm »
Spend two hours clearing 4" of snow from communal drive.

Spread rock salt.

Ah. No.  That wasn't rock salt. That was (fence) post concrete. Oh well it'll improve the durability of the shared drive.

Moral:  When storing concrete and rock salt do not put the packs in identical poly sacks.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #639 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:59:24 am »
Oops.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #640 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:09:29 am »
I very nearly did the same last winter but spotted my mistake in time. Easily done!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #641 on: 27 December, 2017, 07:58:01 am »
I have just one old client who depends on me to renew his web hosting every year.  This year I suggested trimming back his disk space to a smaller offer, saving him a whole 29€ for the year. He said sure. Then I went for a ride and totally forgot about it.  His site expired this morning and I had to renew it at the full price, then send him the invoice and offer to pay the difference myself. :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #642 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:43:33 pm »
Long ago I put an extractor fan into the Inlaw Paw's private bog and wired it into the light circuit.  We already have a big extractor up in the roof with trunks coming in from the bathroom, downstairs loo & kitchen. The one from the downstairs loo ran up through casing in the corner of his loo, so it was simple to cut into this and plumb his extractor into it.

First time he used it, the effluvium poured down the extraction trunk and filled the downstairs loo. ??? :(  The main extractor only switches on from the kitchen so of course there was no updraught.  :facepalm:

« Reply #643 on: 04 January, 2018, 09:01:05 pm »
I've just spent 10 minutes clearing a solder bridge between two adjacent pins on an integrated circuit before realising that they are connected together anyhow.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #644 on: 05 January, 2018, 06:12:03 am »
BTDTGTTS  :facepalm:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #645 on: 05 January, 2018, 12:51:12 pm »
I did exactly this with a couple of NC pins the other day.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #646 on: 05 January, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »
Its when you realise that you've just cleared the solder 'bridge' of the underlying track between two pins that you wonder if you should really be allowed so close to such a dangerous implement as a hot soldering iron  ::-)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #647 on: 06 January, 2018, 01:53:02 pm »
I looked out of the kitchen window this morning to see my bike staring back at me, left out in the back yard overnight after yesterday's ride.

good thing rural Cambridgeshire is fairly low on petty crime.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #648 on: 06 January, 2018, 02:11:13 pm »
Bike theft is not "petty" crime!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #649 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »
Bike theft is not "petty" crime!  :o

Nicking it while locked up in town, I agree. Taking advantage of my fuckwittery, I would have to share the blame

Perhaps opportunistic was a better word
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens