Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437204 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2350 on: 14 February, 2021, 09:54:14 am »
Realized this morning that I was standing in the shower wet and soapy with my glasses still on and nowhere to put them down.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2351 on: 14 February, 2021, 10:07:02 am »
At my place we generally keep to 5 day weeks, except in December. This is because set-up and shut-off time for machinery is quite lengthy, so we want runs to be as long as possible. In some ways, as office staff, this is in my favour, as I might work the Bank Holiday but none of my suppliers do, so it's a nice day for catching up on stuff.
Our holiday year runs to end Feb. I've still got 7. 5 days to take and have staff off I have to cover for, for the next 2 weeks.
Damn.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2352 on: 14 February, 2021, 01:36:18 pm »
I have just attached a prominent warning label to my router[1] in the hope that next time it will remind me to attach the dust extraction wossname *before* installing the bit and tweaking the cut depth, as I seem singularly incapable of remembering to do so.

[1] Woodjbex, not netjbex.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2353 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:37:18 pm »
We have to have permission to accrue TOIL but of course we're expected to stay late if the work needs done... I am trying to limit this very strongly so it's not zero but it's not taking the piss. I reckon if 5 of us all do an extra 60-90 mins a day we're basically funding a 5th member of staff for the team and I know unis will rely on people doing more to avoid staffing us properly.

Boss1 keeps saying "You'll be doing 12 hour days come $TIME" to my new colleagues but hasn't said it to me. My reply is going to be "You pay me for 22.4 hours a week, I'm not a charity, I won't work loads extra for free. If the uni wants lots of extra hours, it'll have to pay me for them properly and reliably.". I expect Boss1 will not like this very much but boundaries are my friend.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2354 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:54:21 pm »
I have just attached a prominent warning label to my router[1] in the hope that next time it will remind me to attach the dust extraction wossname *before* installing the bit and tweaking the cut depth, as I seem singularly incapable of remembering to do so.

I never used dust extraction or PPE with the router before the arrival of YouTube, I just set up a few bits of ply up on edge and held with clamps to stop the bits going where they'd be a pain to clear up.  Nowadays it's goggles, earplugs and the extractor sucking away next door.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2355 on: 14 February, 2021, 03:28:41 pm »
We have to have permission to accrue TOIL but of course we're expected to stay late if the work needs done... I am trying to limit this very strongly so it's not zero but it's not taking the piss. I reckon if 5 of us all do an extra 60-90 mins a day we're basically funding a 5th member of staff for the team and I know unis will rely on people doing more to avoid staffing us properly.

Boss1 keeps saying "You'll be doing 12 hour days come $TIME" to my new colleagues but hasn't said it to me. My reply is going to be "You pay me for 22.4 hours a week, I'm not a charity, I won't work loads extra for free. If the uni wants lots of extra hours, it'll have to pay me for them properly and reliably.". I expect Boss1 will not like this very much but boundaries are my friend.

I think all the employment contracts I’ve had as a salaried employee have always a) opted out of the Working Time directive and b) had a “and such additional hours as might reasonably be required” clause. The jobs where I worked fewest extra hours were the hourly paid contract ones. My current employer is pretty good, but nobody (other than directors) works a large amount of overtime, and TOIL is respected. When travelling to HQ in Tokyo was a thing, we often would travel / return at weekends, and then get the choice of TOIL or a monetary (fixed value, and less, for me, than a days pay) compensation.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2356 on: 14 February, 2021, 05:10:00 pm »

I'm with you on that - I also have a label on all my tools and machinery that are connected to or can be connected to my ducted dust extraction system to also remind me to switch on the shop vac (that's on a remote control fob) . . . what I then forget to do is turn on the workshop air filter machine attached to the ceiling.   The ideal situation is auto-switches but that's a whole different ball-game that's quite costly.

For all that I have 3 different routers and find the dust extraction on the two that have the facility is pretty poor anyway (the 3rd one is a palm router that is pretty much only used for cleaning up or rounding over edges)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2357 on: 14 February, 2021, 05:47:35 pm »

I never used dust extraction or PPE with the router before the arrival of YouTube, I just set up a few bits of ply up on edge and held with clamps to stop the bits going where they'd be a pain to clear up.  Nowadays it's goggles, earplugs and the extractor sucking away next door.

It's not really optional when you have the choice of waiting until summer or doing woodwork in your living room.

« Reply #2358 on: 15 February, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »
Posting on behalf of mr fimm who has just drilled two holes vertically above one another when they should have been horizontal. (For mounting a Thing.)
I shouldn't let him do stuff like that unsupervised...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2359 on: 15 February, 2021, 09:12:01 pm »
I managed to crash on the turbo trainer.

The block under the front wheel slipped while I was riding no-hands and I toppled over sideways.  Luckily no-one was watching.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2360 on: 20 February, 2021, 10:44:00 am »
Saturday morning is sour dough baking time.

First, clear up kitchen so deploy Dettol multi surface cleaner.

Weigh out ingredients in bowl and combine. The next step is leave for half an hour, so I spray the top of the dough with water to make sure it doesn't dry out.

Hmm, this dough smells of Dettol. Arse.

Next time put the surface cleaner AWAY before reaching for the plain water spray gun.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2361 on: 20 February, 2021, 12:07:53 pm »
Spent ages the other day looking for my varifocal glasses. Upon putting some plastics in one of the
recycling bins, I noticed the green case for my aforementioned glasses in there. I'd only just gone
and put them in there with other discarded plastics.  :facepalm:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2362 on: 20 February, 2021, 02:09:46 pm »
Adjusting the disc brakes on one of my bikes . . .  re-aligned the caliper having checked the pads - spun the wheel to check the lever movement - all fine BUT an annoying brushing noise when the wheel was spinning - nothing obvious.  Kept on spinnng the wheel squinting down into the caliper to watch for any disc distortion (by this time I had the Park disc tuner tool in my hand) - nope, seemed OK. . . .  more spinning and I finally spotted that the little orange sticker that Mr Shimano applies to discs to say "this will get hot" was brushing the caliper.  Doh.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2363 on: 01 March, 2021, 11:40:50 am »
After much searching, I found a 110mm 25.4mm quill stem for the singlespeed.

Then I found the Nitto bars are 26.0mm.  Odds of Japanese straight bars being 26.0mm?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #2364 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:08:06 pm »
After much searching, I found a 110mm 25.4mm quill stem for the singlespeed.

Then I found the Nitto bars are 26.0mm.  Odds of Japanese straight bars being 26.0mm?

Pretty good by the sound of things  ;)

« Reply #2365 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:41:57 pm »
I put my very muddy trainers in the washing machine and have apparently clogged the drain pipe.

Sometime during the evening's proceedings I've managed to cross thread (or something) the flood-my-kitchen-please drain pump inspection knobby thing such that it can't be opened anymore.

Fuksox.

« Reply #2366 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:50:02 pm »
I put my very muddy trainers in the washing machine and have apparently clogged the drain pipe.

Sometime during the evening's proceedings I've managed to cross thread (or something) the flood-my-kitchen-please drain pump inspection knobby thing such that it can't be opened anymore.

Fuksox.
Ouch!

« Reply #2367 on: 04 March, 2021, 02:24:28 pm »
I have just extracted the world's biggest fluffberg from the pipe between the drum and the drain pump, which was also what was blocking the drain inspection thingy from turning. There's no filter in this machine, it just accumulates in the pipe apparently. Also nice of Bosch to make all of the screws exactly the same, apart from the ones that aren't.

The process of dismantling testing and reassembling involved too many fecking div moments to mention.

(Shoes were a red herring)

fuzzy

« Reply #2368 on: 04 March, 2021, 02:51:16 pm »
I have just extracted the world's biggest fluffberg from the pipe between the drum and the drain pump, which was also what was blocking the drain inspection thingy from turning. There's no filter in this machine, it just accumulates in the pipe apparently. Also nice of Bosch to make all of the screws exactly the same, apart from the ones that aren't.

The process of dismantling testing and reassembling involved too many fecking div moments to mention.
(Shoes were a red herring)

Are they better than Nike or Adidas?

« Reply #2369 on: 04 March, 2021, 03:27:19 pm »
Are they better than Nike or Adidas?

Redh Herring was Debenham's own brand. Product range a bit weird right now:
https://www.debenhams.com/men/shoes-boots/red-herring

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2370 on: 04 March, 2021, 07:05:04 pm »
Posted on behalf of Dr Beardy (Mrs)

Just completed the module outline for a level 5 module on a course in <fx:waves_hands_vaguely> something to do with children and death for next year, and on looking for the course folder she can’t find it. Muttering somewhat and calling into question the legitimacy of her successor in course leadership she writes a _polite_ email of enquiry to wtf the folder hasn’t been created on the systems. Having dispatched the missive she then realises that the didn’t recruit anyone for that course this year partly because of the course catalogue redesign she did and partly because she actively encouraged any interested parties to enrol on other courses. No level 4 students this year means no level 5 students next year! :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #2371 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:54:47 pm »
Me last night: “I’m going out for a ride tomorrow, I probably ought to go and check the charge level of the Di2 battery... nah, the bike’s in the garage, I’m in my pyjamas and it’s cold outside, so I can’t be bothered. It’ll be fine.”
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2372 on: 08 March, 2021, 04:32:47 pm »
Me: gets lots of punctures. Orders Marathon Plus Tyre. Tyre arrives. I set aside plenty of time to fit it. After plenty of time and a small amount of googling, tyre is fitted. I blow it up to my usual pressure. Tyre pops off the rim. Try again. Same result. Mr fimm offers to assist. I let him. He manages to pinch flat the inner tube.
 :demon:
At this point I borrow his front wheel and go cycling.
Part two:
Fit new inner tube, get tyre back on. Look at thing that came attached to the tyre. Max pressure 5 bar. That's 70psi or so. So blowing it up to 100 psi/7 bar was a bad move, then?  :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2373 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:21:07 pm »
Chap I knew via the medium of SCIENCE'S Telegraphic Marvel, who ran a recumbent shop in the Bay Area, once conducted a series of tests using a track pump with an extra-long hose on various tyres and found most reputable brands would get up to at least 150% of the pressure writted on the sidewall before parting company with the rim.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2374 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:29:29 pm »
Fimm's "experimental data" seems to confirm the 150% figure!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.