Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437448 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2375 on: 09 March, 2021, 11:53:59 am »
That sort of experiment's best not attempted if the rim's been nibbled to DETH by rim brakes.  Especially if it's a double-blind trial courtesy of an Aldi track pump with an extremely inaccurate gauge.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2376 on: 09 March, 2021, 12:17:10 pm »
Zach being a bike shop proprietor of scientific bent, I reckon he'd have taken such precautions.  Also he put the wheel on the opposite side of a sturdy brick wall* from himself :)

* Not sure where he found one of those in Alameda CA, as the preferred building material there appears to be cardboard, presumably because it's less likely to squish you utterly to DETH after an earthquake.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2377 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:33:57 pm »
Just had a clipless moment. First in about 20 years. No witnesses, but I still feel very silly!

« Reply #2378 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:53:58 pm »
Went out to see the parents for Mothers Day.  Took presents in my big Chrome courier bag.    On the way home I had to wait at the train station.  The metal seat was wet so I put the bag on it & sat on that. 

Got home & realised I didn't have the bag , which had my wallet in it  :facepalm:      Back to the station & find the bag , but no wallet.  >:(      All bank cards now cancelled,  my driving licence was in it as well so thats £20 for a replacement (not that I drive!).   

Bah! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2379 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:58:07 pm »
Bugger.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2380 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:39:41 am »
What he said.  I just dreamt I'd lost mine the other night and woke up in a minor panic.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2381 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:56:56 am »
Mine seems a bit trivial compared to andrewc's but it's pretty tragic in its own way...

Yesterday I roasted a chicken for dinner. After draining off all the beautiful juices from the roasting tin into a jug to make gravy, I caught the edge of the roasting tin on the jug and knocked it over, spilling the contents everywhere.

Oh well, the dog enjoyed it at least.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2382 on: 15 March, 2021, 09:55:59 am »
In that vein, yesterday I poured Madeira into the very hot pan I'd just tortured my steak in and redecorated the front of the pullover MrsT knitted me a month or two back. Oops.

« Reply #2383 on: 18 March, 2021, 03:12:20 pm »
It turns out that with a big enough breaker bar and a can-do attitude, even the most left-handed thread can be undone in the conventional direction.

(Shimano Selecta bottom bracket lock nut. Fortunately a cheap-ish one has appeared on ebay since I last looked, and the bearings were knackered anyway)

« Reply #2384 on: 18 March, 2021, 03:51:18 pm »
:-)

Removing a square taper chainset at the weekend for the first time in yonks.

Cover off, release locking bolt a few turns (I leave it in so the crank puller has something proper to bear against). Insert crank puller first part. Wind in crank puller wrench part, and wind. All going well, then it gets harder.

Hmm. Nothing that a little gentle tapping with a mallet won't sort out.

And out comes the crank puller first part from the crank, complete with strips of alloy swarf.

Bugger. Crank had only been allowed to extract as far as I had undone the lock bolt.

Still, the good news was that I hadn't wound the crank-puller's first part in all the way, so was able to force it home and engage with what was left of the crank's internal thread on a second attempt.

Pillock.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2385 on: 18 March, 2021, 03:54:24 pm »
It turns out that with a big enough breaker bar and a can-do attitude, even the most left-handed thread can be undone in the conventional direction.

(Shimano Selecta bottom bracket lock nut. Fortunately a cheap-ish one has appeared on ebay since I last looked, and the bearings were knackered anyway)

Now it's proper bo buggered, I tell thee!
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2386 on: 19 March, 2021, 01:18:59 pm »
Ordered a new Conti GP4000s II, only it turned out that I hadn't - invoice says Grand Prix tout court, and that's was in the box.

Found I already had a GP4000etc in the workshop, not new but still with a few thousand km in it.   :facepalm:

« Reply #2387 on: 23 March, 2021, 08:09:13 pm »
The noisy chain had nothing to do with chain - I put the new BBB pulleys in the right order, but exactly the wrong way around.

Div...  :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2388 on: 23 March, 2021, 08:13:09 pm »
If the valve of your inner tube is a bit stiff, be careful not to undo the whole valve core by accident - when it gets fully undone, if you're not gripping it firmly, the air pressure inside the tyre can force it out at quite some speed, sending it god knows where...

DAMHIKT
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2389 on: 27 March, 2021, 08:43:37 pm »
This could go in the rant as I nearly used bad words

With the weather being nice got all the school uniform washed and was 3/4 way through ironing it when remembered they change to summer dresses after Easter not the stuff i had just ironed

ian

« Reply #2390 on: 08 April, 2021, 09:15:22 pm »
I have, over the years, been committing all those secret codes and not-so-memorable words that the modern internet demands of me to a cunningly encrypted file that even the NSA would need a warehouseful of supercomputers to crack.

Today, upon a spurious demand from yet another financial services website for the second, fifteen, and forty-second letter of a passphrase that I definitely didn't remember, I went to look for that secure file.

It might have been secure, but it certainly wasn't delete-proof. I have no idea why, but it's not there, it's not anywhere. I must have done it ages ago because it's not even in the backups. Ah, sweet mystery, do fuck off.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2391 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:27:34 pm »
:-)

Removing a square taper chainset at the weekend for the first time in yonks.

Cover off, release locking bolt a few turns (I leave it in so the crank puller has something proper to bear against). Insert crank puller first part. Wind in crank puller wrench part, and wind. All going well, then it gets harder.

Hmm. Nothing that a little gentle tapping with a mallet won't sort out.

And out comes the crank puller first part from the crank, complete with strips of alloy swarf.

Bugger. Crank had only been allowed to extract as far as I had undone the lock bolt.

Still, the good news was that I hadn't wound the crank-puller's first part in all the way, so was able to force it home and engage with what was left of the crank's internal thread on a second attempt.

Pillock.

BTDTGTTS,  ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2392 on: 11 April, 2021, 03:49:28 pm »
Well I fell right into HMRC's trap carefully laid in January.  They helpfully extended the filing deadline.

Quote from: The headline
No Self Assessment late filing penalty for those who file online by 28 February
Quote from: The gotcha
Taxpayers are still obliged to pay their bill by 31 January. Interest will be charged from 1 February on any outstanding liabilities.

Yep, the bastards got me for additional interest.
Read the whole page 'tween you fekking idiot. It's the HMRC, you can trust them about half a Planck distance  >:(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2393 on: 11 April, 2021, 05:11:20 pm »
New (to us) boiler.

Had diesel tank filled just after we moved in.
Haven't been checking diesel level.

It has run out . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2394 on: 11 April, 2021, 05:41:51 pm »
Wow, it must be a tiny tank then..
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2395 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:27:30 pm »
No  - 1000 litres.

Consequence of a house with poor insulation, not a single thermostatic valve on any rads and no thermostat for the boiler.  So if the boiler is on, it is running constantly at full wack. That's 4l per hour - so yes, it has used that much fuel.

Really need to improve the system.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2396 on: 11 April, 2021, 08:09:38 pm »
Eek. Well we got a wireless (this was in the days before Nest etc) stat (i.e. the sending unit just takes batteries) retrofitted to our ancient boiler which is relatively quick and doesn't involve any draining...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2397 on: 11 April, 2021, 10:00:18 pm »
No  - 1000 litres.

Consequence of a house with poor insulation, not a single thermostatic valve on any rads and no thermostat for the boiler.  So if the boiler is on, it is running constantly at full wack. That's 4l per hour - so yes, it has used that much fuel.

Really need to improve the system.

Our tank was 200 gallons before we had gas, so that's a standard size. Gas was a definite improvement, both for cooking and for CH...

« Reply #2398 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:55:32 am »
Eek. Well we got a wireless (this was in the days before Nest etc) stat (i.e. the sending unit just takes batteries) retrofitted to our ancient boiler which is relatively quick and doesn't involve any draining...

We will buy something like a nest or or a hive. That will make quite a difference.

I need to add a couple of rads (there aren't any in one room), was putting off adding thermostatic valves until I drained down the system when adding the new rads.

The unexpected cold weather has delayed that somewhat (it is still dropping to below 0 every night and snowing. Local crofters are calling it the worst spring in decades).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2399 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:21:41 pm »
I can see the super market we use from my house (its the other side of a school fiel) but being good instead of driving i hitch our old kiddie trailer to the bike and cycle despite this and getting the bike out taking as long as it does to cycle there.

Get there tonight. Lock bike and trailer, put on mask and get a trolley. One wheel jammed despite a good few kicks

Next trolley has caught on the bag hook of the trolley in front so eventually wrestle it out

About to enter shop and realise the shopping list is still at home. Mumble grumble. Trolley back get quid back unlock bike cycle home and then repeat.

Oh and just realised I've offered some of the folks I ride with in Thursday nights a Sunday morning ride and then back to mine for cake and bubbly to celebrate a semi unlocked birthday. Forgot the bubbly didn't i