Author Topic: PBP short brochure (plaquette)online...  (Read 22295 times)

Martin

Re: PBP short brochure (plaquette)online...
« Reply #50 on: 25 January, 2010, 04:33:06 pm »
as I see it there will be some sort of a limit on UK riders (based on the numbers in 2007 and also this year's LEL)

as it's also a good idea to bag an SR the year before I would recommend anyone who wants the best chance to qualify to get a series in this year. The 1000 and overseas big rides won't have a lot a bearing due to the low numbers. I reckon anyone with a BRM 400 in 2010 can breathe easy.

in 2006/7 the possible threat of a cap on entries was a major worry for many of us.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #51 on: 25 January, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »
I reckon anyone with a BRM 400 in 2010 can breathe easy.

I think anyone with a BRM anything in 2010 can breathe easy.

Even if a limit is applied (which I think is unlikely) there will be a significant number of UK PBP-wannabees who are starting from scratch or have missed out on 2010 for whatever reason.  As there are every time.  They will be the only ones affected, I think.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #52 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:07:59 pm »
On the French forum where I got this link from there are a few ACP members posting and their advice is that although the safest is to do a 1000, they would be very very surprised if riders with a 300 can't make it! I have also been told that I will be part of the French quota despite being an AUK member so the audax mile I ride in the UK this year gives you extra spaces for PBP!
Chief cat entertainer.

border-rider

« Reply #53 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:09:16 pm »
I have also been told that I will be part of the French quota despite being an AUK member so the audax mile I ride in the UK this year gives you extra spaces for PBP!

is that not a matter of your choice as to whether you apply for a place through AUK or the French equivalent ?

Spencer Klaasen from the US (resident there) was classified as  a UK entrant last time

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #54 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:21:16 pm »

is that not a matter of your choice as to whether you apply for a place through AUK or the French equivalent ?

Spencer Klaasen from the US (resident there) was classified as  a UK entrant last time

Interesting fact! I don't really want to register through the French system as I am sure that at some point being non resident will create some complications. I probably shouldn't have asked ACP, I may ask AUK next year if they don't mind registering me!
Chief cat entertainer.

Really Ancien

« Reply #55 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »
the 90hr start did give a pretty wet start for most (although it actually stopped as we crossed the line in the last group to the fireworks at 23.20)

It started about two minutes before us Special Needs types got the green light.

Bah!

another advantage of the veeery late start was we all hit this patisserie at opening time the next morning ( I think it closed 15 mins later having sold its entire contents)

L-R Paul Outhwaite Mark Fairweather DaveJ self Virgil

Ah yes, the Boulangerie Patisserie Francoise Gaudin, 42 Avenue Charles de Gaulle, Fresnay-sur Sarthe. I remember stopping there in 2003 after my unscheduled diversion to Sille-La-Guilleme.

Damon.

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 25 January, 2010, 05:42:53 pm »
Ah yes, the Boulangerie Patisserie Francoise Gaudin, 42 Avenue Charles de Gaulle, Fresnay-sur Sarthe. I remember stopping there in 2003 after my unscheduled diversion to Sille-La-Guilleme.

Damon.

not as welcome as McDonalds in Fougeres? on the way back though (with an extra portion of Sabine's chips)  :P

« Reply #57 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »
I have also been told that I will be part of the French quota despite being an AUK member so the audax mile I ride in the UK this year gives you extra spaces for PBP!

The system was changed last time. Up untill 2003 you were classified according to the licence you had (club/federation affiliation). From 2007 on you are classified according to your citizenship.
So I rode '95 for the Netherlands, '99 and '03 for Belgium and '07 again for the Netherlands.

« Reply #58 on: 26 January, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »
All this talk of fast times reminds me that I was thinking of trying to gain membership of this http://www.adrianhandssociety.com/Adrian-Hands-Society.html

Either that or go for the 80hr start just to complete the set - decisions, decisions :)

« Reply #59 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:04:00 pm »
Either that or go for the 80hr start just to complete the set - decisions, decisions :)

Cor. Am I the only one thinking "Why the 90 hour start? Because there is no 96 hour start."

simonp

« Reply #60 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »
I would probably go for the 90h start, particularly with the earlier start time - I might be able to catch an hour or two's kip in the first night with that, and/or be able to sleep at Carhaix on the second night instead of arriving there at ~8am.

« Reply #61 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:09:42 pm »
84 hours for me. The Randoneurs. Two 400s, twenty to twenty fours hours for each, a two fifty and a one fifty. No dusk 'til dawn riding.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #62 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »
Now this is just what I needed to completely destroy my concentration for the rest of the day ;D
But with all this talk of 80, 84, 90 hour starts, one question: when do the tandems set off?

<------- thinking of a delicious tandem paceline.

« Reply #63 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:16:44 pm »
Now this is just what I needed to completely destroy my concentration for the rest of the day ;D
But with all this talk of 80, 84, 90 hour starts, one question: when do the tandems set off?

<------- thinking of a delicious tandem paceline.

In 2007 you could choose your nominal time but then you started in the first wave.

« Reply #64 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:26:28 pm »
If I enter it, as a first-timer, I'll go for the 90 hours start for the full PBP experience - crowds, strings of tail lights, groups to hop on to, good-natured queues etc.  Would the anciens endorse this reasoning?

« Reply #65 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:30:41 pm »
If I enter it, as a first-timer, I'll go for the 90 hours start for the full PBP experience - crowds, strings of tail lights, groups to hop on to, good-natured queues etc.  Would the anciens endorse this reasoning?
The 84 hour group isn't much different. Still strings of tail lights, groups to ride with, fewer and less queues in the first 24 hours. Plus seeing some real strugglers at the back of the 90 hour group. That is a great moral booster, overtaking people who had a 7 hour head start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #66 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:38:23 pm »

Yes. The 84-hour start has no atmosphere in comparison.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #67 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:41:08 pm »
The 84 hour group isn't much different. Still strings of tail lights, groups to ride with, fewer and less queues in the first 24 hours. Plus seeing some real strugglers at the back of the 90 hour group. That is a great moral booster, overtaking people who had a 7 hour head start.

The question is Nuncio are you a 90hr Moral Booster or an 84hr Soul Crusher

Martin

« Reply #68 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:50:48 pm »
90 hr start (reality in brackets)

the full mass night exit from St Q (for about 4 hrs until it starts to piss down the rest of the night)
breakfast near Fougeres and ride all day on caffiene and adrenaline (as all the control food is shit)
arrive in Loudeac (or even Carhaix) the next night for a good sleep (outside lying cold on my spare clothes)
day trip to Brest and back to Loudeac for more sleep (lying under wet sleeping bag across 3 chairs)
day ride to Mortagne picking up snacks all the way (until just before Villaines where my ankles fell off)
morning victory parade back to St Q (riding like a pillock on as many pills as I could pop so I wouldn't ever have to go back and feel that pain)

and still finish in 84 hrs if you want with a morale boosting 6 hr comfort zone (actually 86 and that was because Rob scared us into thinking Dreaux was going to shut early)

what's not to like?

« Reply #69 on: 26 January, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »

I (respectfully) disagree. I liked the better discipline in the peloton out of St Quentin and I still found plenty of people to ride with. Okay, not so many people lining the route on the outward journey, but still quite a few.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #70 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:11:34 pm »

I (respectfully) disagree. I liked the better discipline in the peloton out of St Quentin and I still found plenty of people to ride with. Okay, not so many people lining the route on the outward journey, but still quite a few.

I liked the better discipline in the peloton out of St Quentin and I still found plenty of people to ride with.

We obviously have very different ideas about what constitutes 'atmosphere'. I found the 84-hour start (i.e.the départ) very flat in comparison with the 90-hours starts I've done.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #71 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »
The question is Nuncio are you a 90hr Moral Booster or an 84hr Soul Crusher

Do they pay the same?  If so, I feel I should go for the lesser hours and do some voluntary morale boosting in the spare time.  Is there an 'avenging angel' option?

Nice brochure, by the way.

« Reply #72 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:29:10 pm »
Lights must be in working order
and in non-flashing mode.

One of the best decisions the French have made in their entire civilization. IMO  :)

From that point of view....it´s a joy, an absolute joy.

And the organization/people superb.

As for the rest of it......the ride itself is a bit like riding in Befordshire for 4 days - boring as bogs.
And the weather was dreadful. Apart from that I had a ball  ;D

This time?
Dunno. Yet.
Garry Broad

« Reply #73 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:31:41 pm »
...I found the 84-hour start (i.e.the départ) very flat in comparison with the 90-hours starts I've done.

Do you just mean fewer excitable newbies?

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #74 on: 26 January, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »
If I enter it, ...

I'm afraid there's no If about it - now you've mentally admitted to yourselve the possibility of entering, the concept will fester away and give you no peace.  ;)

NB - 90hrs worked for me as a neophyte, and happy to commend it as an ancien.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste