Author Topic: food lore  (Read 15440 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: food lore
« Reply #100 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:14:42 pm »
I loved Mr Bacon's Cherryade, which I presume was made to the same or very similar recipe (or perhaps that should be 'chemical formula' rather than 'recipe').

We also had a Sodastream, of course. Always did too many pumps of the gas in a bid to make it more fizzy, inevitably leading to it bubbling over.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #101 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:33:08 pm »
We had a SodaStream at some point, the novelty was mostly dented by the foul taste of the syrups, but on the plus side you could superstrength your drink by mixing half syrup with half water. Like everything in my childhood, it was rationed, so I had to eek out the carbon dioxide until the cylinder could do little more than a gentle, resigned sigh into the bottle. To this day I like flat soft drinks, and this is probably why, it's a learned response from a pikey-parented childhood.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #102 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »
Sodastream + milk + impressionable little brother.  I'll leave the rest to your imagination.   :demon:

(Its day job was carbonating tap water[1] so my mum could listen to it fizzing on her bedside table, or something.  Though there were also experiments with super-strength cherryade.  The Amiga 500's mouse cable became irrevocably contaminated with the stuff, and we had to wrap it in insulating tape to *reduce* the stickiness.)

[1] Which IMHO had more than enough carbon in it already.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #103 on: 18 January, 2019, 02:01:19 pm »
To take away the smell of the chlorine gas...?

Bloody tapwater around stinks like cheap Domestos or Formula 77 which incidentally used to be made in Middleton...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #104 on: 18 January, 2019, 02:25:47 pm »
Is there some unexpected interaction between milk and sodastream (I'm treating 'it's fizzy and rank as an expected one...)? I vaguely recall my childhood mate's one having dire warnings against trying to carbonate dairy, and somehow we never dared try it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 18 January, 2019, 02:44:55 pm »
Foam.  Lots of foam.   :hand:

(Lovely.  Milky milky.)

citoyen

« Reply #106 on: 18 January, 2019, 03:03:21 pm »
Yes, I vaguely recall trying that experiment too. We were trying to invent kefir before it was fashionable, obviously.

Only tried it the once, obviously.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #107 on: 18 January, 2019, 03:29:36 pm »
Where does the Pop Man, mentioned up thread, end and Tom Lehrer's Old Dope Peddler begin?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #108 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:41:26 pm »
You know Sodastream is going high end? They're trying to move away from the machines we grew up with that honked like disc brakes when putting fizz into things. They are trying to persuade people to buy high end machines and glass bottles with push buttons and servos to control exactly how much fizz goes in. I think they saw what Nespresso can charge and  thought they'd like some of that.

« Reply #109 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:11:06 pm »
The Alpine Lorry , that's  a childhood memory.  Bright green Cream Soda,  Orange, Pineapple & plain white fizz.  Don't remember the Cherry.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #110 on: 19 January, 2019, 05:33:50 am »
Oh yes the Alpine man. American Cream Soda though, what was that about? About the same time my brother lived off fizzy Vimto, which is probably one reason why his teeth are so crumbly now.
Then we moved to Aberdeen and it was all Bon Accord drinks instead. Moray Cup  :sick:

I loved the cherry cola sodastream though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #111 on: 19 January, 2019, 06:33:05 am »
Have we had boil in the bag meals yet? I particularly remember the chicken curry meal. Cant recall who made them tho, maybe Batchelors?

Boil in a bag fish meals, Vesta curries and crispy pancakes. I was introduced to all these at the age 17 on a 2 week YHA cycle tour by my best mate. I guess they were common fare in his house, I'd never seen them before.

« Reply #112 on: 19 January, 2019, 07:42:15 am »
Powdered Oxtail soup.

I liked it. :P

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #113 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:46:50 am »
Powdered Oxtail soup.

I liked it. :P
Cooked or straight from the packet?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #114 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:50:46 am »
In a mug, with the sludge at the bottom

ian

« Reply #115 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:25:10 am »
Boil-in-the-bag fish in parsley sauce was a childhood staple. Our freezer was a battle between the forces of Captain Birdseye and Findus. Battalions of crispy pancakes, squadrons of fish fingers, and a corps of various extruded, reformed, and breaded potato products.

A large part of childhood is submerged in parsley sauce. I imagine that if you could build a pipe that goes back in time to drain my childhood we could basically form a large lake of the stuff. And who wouldn't want a lake of historical parsley sauce? Out of bags or the staple Knorr packet. You had to keep stirring it, a moment of inattention meant it clagged on the bottle of the pan and guaranteed washing up fun. My parents only had children because they couldn't afford an electric dishwasher. It was quite a shock for me to realise that sauces and soups didn't have to come out of a packet. I even assumed that soup in a tin was probably out of a packet originally. My best friend's mum was proper middle-class and used to cook things from actual recipes which was both astounding and troubling. He wasn't allowed to eat crispy pancakes unless he came round my house, which I think he did all the time. The only thing my mother ever really cooked was meat and potato pie. This was a casserole dish filled with potatoes in Bisto covered with a piece of frozen puff pastry, a sort of DIY Fray Bentos. There was supposed to be mince in it, but in my entire childhood I never found any meat in one of her pies, the best you could hope for was a lump of undissolved gravy powder.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #116 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:17:55 pm »
Have we had boil in the bag meals yet? I particularly remember the chicken curry meal. Cant recall who made them tho, maybe Batchelors?

Boil in a bag fish meals, Vesta curries and crispy pancakes. I was introduced to all these at the age 17 on a 2 week YHA cycle tour by my best mate. I guess they were common fare in his house, I'd never seen them before.

I don't think I have EVER had any of these!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #117 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:30:31 pm »
There was an urban legend at primary school relating to the free milk (I went to primary school before Thatcher snatched the milk). 

Our local dairy was Express Dairies, so most of the little bottles were theirs and had an italic "E" on them.  A few bottles from other dairies used to creep in from time to time, probably because they were mistakenly returned to the wrong bottling plant. 

It was believed by almost everyone that the bottles with the Co-Op logo contained goat's milk, so they were always the last to be taken.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #118 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:30:35 pm »
Parsley sauce:
Never had this a home.
Made some from scratch for David in the microwave.
Packet was on Special Offer from Sainsbury's recently so I thought I'd giv it a whirl. NOW WAY was I going to use a saucepan so I adapted the instructions to make in a Pyrex jug in the microwave. Result was OK but HOW MUCH did I pay for a little seasoning and flour? Even on Special, this seemed like a rip-off!
And there was the obligatory single-use plastic sachet.
Will not repeat.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #119 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:34:04 pm »
There were lots of wonderful fried things you could have for lunch.  Findus Crispy Pancakes, obviously, but also Chicklets (reconstituted chicken arses and eyelids in coarse beige breadcrumbs) and a cheese and potato triangular thing in orange breadcrumbs, whose name I can't remember.

It's a wonder I'm still alive.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #120 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:38:45 pm »
There was an urban legend at primary school relating to the free milk (I went to primary school before Thatcher snatched the milk). 

Our local dairy was Express Dairies, so most of the little bottles were theirs and had an italic "E" on them.  A few bottles from other dairies used to creep in from time to time, probably because they were mistakenly returned to the wrong bottling plant. 

The glass milk bottles in which my pints are delivered do not  all bear the 'Milk and More' branding: I frequently get Cotteswold Dairies and many bottles now have no branding. Kirby and West were the Dairy that supplied my Leicester childhood. I had one of their bottle not long ago and got all nostalgic.

ian

« Reply #121 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:39:28 pm »
Lunch? Lunch. It's dinner. And in the evening, tea.

citoyen

« Reply #122 on: 19 January, 2019, 01:03:25 pm »
Our freezer was a battle between the forces of Captain Birdseye and Findus.

Both brands owned by Nomad now, of course.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #123 on: 19 January, 2019, 06:17:07 pm »
I am reminded of Ruskoline, but I can't think of any childhood meals that were slathered with it.

ian

« Reply #124 on: 19 January, 2019, 08:00:31 pm »
Our freezer was a battle between the forces of Captain Birdseye and Findus.

Both brands owned by Nomad now, of course.

Shocking, the two sides of the grand frozen battle reconciled. Clarence will be spinning in his flash-frozen grave.

Ah, the school dinner joke of I've just been fingered by Captain Birdseye while waving around a fish finger. It's hilarious when you're eight and evidently have no clue what being 'fingered' is other than it's probably rude, and for boy, unlikely as it wasn't a Catholic school. If you wanted anatomy lessons there was a girl with the exotic name of Francesca who'd apparently pull down her knickers for 20p and frankly quite scared us all. It's telling that rather than available ourselves of that opportunity, we'd buy four packs of Football 77 cards in hope of not getting another bloody Trevor Francis and instead the near-mythical Sheffield Wednesday badge that everyone needed. And I didn't even like football.