Author Topic: Cavendish goes off again:  (Read 10316 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Cavendish goes off again:
« Reply #50 on: 01 May, 2010, 04:13:24 pm »
Bigot!  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #51 on: 01 May, 2010, 05:05:15 pm »
Flocking over the line like that.  Where do they come from? ???
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #52 on: 01 May, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »
HTC-Columbia have pulled him from the race and given his prize money to charity. That'll learn him.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #53 on: 01 May, 2010, 10:01:08 pm »
i heaed it was actually health reasons. He is allergic to hills and rain.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #54 on: 03 May, 2010, 12:52:34 pm »
Jakob, is it possible that you hate Cav's arrogance so much because it's something you display yourself at times?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #55 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:54:38 pm »
And the next instalment...Greipel signs for OmegaPharma-Lotto | Latest News | Cycling Weekly

Should make for some interesting 'head to heads' - not least with their respective lead out men - next year  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #56 on: 08 August, 2010, 07:16:59 pm »
And we'll have a whole winter of "will Cav go to Sky" rumours.

« Reply #57 on: 09 August, 2010, 05:55:24 pm »
And we'll have a whole winter of "will Cav go to Sky" rumours.

News that Renshaw is staying at HTC-Columbia suggests that Cav has no plans to move either ...

Renshaw Signs New Deal With HTC-Columbia | Cyclingnews.com

This together with greipel moving on makes it almost certain he'll stay 9IMO anyway)
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #58 on: 09 August, 2010, 07:27:04 pm »
Yes, now that his arch-nemesis Greipel has gone... still, remember all the denying about Wiggins last winter?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #59 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:34:19 pm »
Well if Sky do succeed in signing him I hope they get better value for money than they got from signing Wiggo.  (I'm sure they will  :thumbsup:)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #60 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:43:09 pm »
I can't see Cavendish moving, the guy has won shed loads with them and always looks content. The team is built round him, Sky haven't got so much to offer him

« Reply #61 on: 10 August, 2010, 08:18:06 pm »
I can't see Cavendish moving, the guy has won shed loads with them and always looks content. The team is built round him, Sky haven't got so much to offer him

I agree. Signing a top class sprinter isn't in keeping with Sky's aim of winning the Tour within 5 years with a British rider. Having around 5 guys in the team chase down breakaways on flat stages isn't going to get them the GC. Whether it's likely to get them more glory overall in the long run is another matter, but what I like about Dave Brailsford is that he goes 100% for a goal and doesn't accept that it's not achievable.

I think Wiggins will come good again and Cav will win many green jerseys, starting next year.

citoyen

« Reply #62 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:23:04 pm »

I agree too. Wiggo is more of a dependent character who beenfits from the level of pastoral support a team like Sky provide, while Cav is more of a free spirit and never seems to have fitted in easily with the BC setup (I say this based on having read his book, Boy Racer) - he doesn't need Brailsford in the same way that Wiggo seems to.

d.

« Reply #63 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:25:56 pm »
It's a pretty boring read isn't it.

I've just read Fignons book which, for a cycling book is possibly the best one I've read.

(yours for 6 quid posted  ;) )

« Reply #64 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »
I've just read Wiggins' book and it was not boring.
I have Cav's to read next.

I too hope he does not leave Columbia. 

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #65 on: 10 August, 2010, 10:53:34 pm »
I can't see Cav leaving HTC Columbia. Bob Stapleton's a canny businessman and he knows that Cav brings at least as much publicity as a grand tour winner would - if he could find one.

Haven't read Cav's book yet - it's on the shelf but Wiggins' book was pish apart from the chapter where he described in detail how the team pursuit works - I loved that.

a great mind thinks alike

citoyen

« Reply #66 on: 10 August, 2010, 11:01:55 pm »

I quite liked it, in that it was well written and had a good structure. But the content suffered from the usual shortcomings of any autobiography written by someone barely out of nappies.

d.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #67 on: 11 August, 2010, 07:03:18 am »
I enjoyed Cav's book.  Haven't read Wiggins'.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #68 on: 12 August, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »
I don't think Cavendish would want to have Brailsford as his director sportif after he screwed his chance of a medal at the Olympics.  Wiggo was knackered after doing the individual and team pursuit and could not provide the work needed for Cav to be in a competitive  position. Brailsford admitted he knew Wiggo was knacked. Logic suggests he was more interested in getting more medals for Wiggo than using one of the team pursuiters (Thomas anyone?) to get Cavendish a medal in an event the public does not generally understand. Just mu twopennorth you understand...

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #69 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:59:00 pm »

I've just read Fignons book which, for a cycling book is possibly the best one I've read.

(yours for 6 quid posted  ;) )

I'll take that if it's still available? If yes, can you PM me your details please.

« Reply #70 on: 12 August, 2010, 10:04:13 pm »
Cav's book was good to start with, but got a bit repetitive and boring after a while. In fact it started to annoy me towards the end.

But I agree with what others have said - why on Earth would you leave a team you're happy in and won a massive 15 stages in three tours, which puts you at #12 on the all time list of stage winners?! And still at only 25!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #71 on: 12 August, 2010, 10:56:36 pm »
Yes I suppose that's the main difference - Brad made no secret of his unhappiness over last winter.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #72 on: 12 August, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »
I read the Wiggins book a few year back. If I remember correctly the first 10 pages or so were good how he describes his childhood and his life with his mother and the loss of his father to another woman who was a pro cyclist as well'
After that, the read  just goes into his cycling career and found it a little boring though some may like that kind of a read ? I think he's a little young for a autobiography ? though every one in the limelight is doing one !

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #73 on: 13 August, 2010, 07:09:32 am »
I read the Wiggins book a few year back. If I remember correctly the first 10 pages or so were good how he describes his childhood and his life with his mother and the loss of his father to another woman who was a pro cyclist as well'
After that, the read  just goes into his cycling career and found it a little boring though some may like that kind of a read ? I think he's a little young for a autobiography ? though every one in the limelight is doing one !

I'm assuming that the way it works is that the impetus comes from a publishing company rather than the sportsperson themselves.  They approach the rider, says we'll hire a writer and pay you this, you just have to give the writer a bit of material and dig out some family photos.  Rider shrugs shoulders and says 'Yes, why not ?'
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #74 on: 18 August, 2010, 12:04:08 pm »
Looks like Cav is going to be starting the Vuelta, seeking stage wins.  Guess he'll use it to sharpen for Wolrd Champs?

But also see that GB have only got three riders in the Elite Men's race? Makes it hard to get a train going!
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'