Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 02:38:46 pm »
Heating oil tank has run empty.

About two weeks ago it vaguely crossed my mind that I should check the level (the only way is by using a dipstick).

Won't be able to order any until Mon, so we have at least 3 days with no heating. MrsC will not be pleased.
The Pub / Re: Heating on?
« Last post by toontra on Today at 02:33:00 pm »
Now it is April the heating is off until late October.   I have TOG 4.5 Duvet on my bed.  I am wearing shorts and T-shirt. If I go out I will wear a little more but still shorts.

How's that going?  ;D
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by HTFB on Today at 02:26:13 pm »
Beware that UFH can KILL pianos!
Oh, how so? We have UFH but no piano as yet.

Electric mat UFH is very easy to fit and doesn't take up any height. In the cottage in Wales it's been a revelation compared with the previous early-morning frigid tiles laid more or less straight onto bare mountainside [1]. We inherited it in the bathroom of our previous concrete second floor 60s flat, and put in wet UFH everywhere else. Unlike the main system we never really optimised how to use it: the thermostat embedded under the tiles had only a sketchy relationship with the temperature of the bathroom.

The bathroom is the of course one place where UFH doesn't save you wall space compared with radiators, because you probably also want a heated towel rail to dry things on. So you don't actually make room for a piano in there.

[1] Tell me, bird of midnight ghosty,
What makes my toes so nicely toasty?
Quoth the raven, Underfloor.
I asked for damsels and what I got was pretty fly
The Pub / Re: what I have learned today.
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 02:11:28 pm »
Four seconds would imply a larger supply of ammunition than most aircraft could carry. It also implies that the gun used is more resistant to heat damage than most!

The A-10 is a much heavier aircraft than the Hunter - roughly twice the mass (11,000kg vs 23,000kg). Also the 20mm rounds of the Vulcan cannon are considerably lighter (about 100g) than the Aden's (270g). The muzzle velocity is greater (1000m/s vs 800 or so) and the rate of fire is slightly higher (6000rpm vs 5200 rpm), but these aren't enough of a factor to make the A-10's reaction to firing the gun anything like that of the Hunter!

As a young "space cadet" we were at the Holbeach range and watching an A10 doing repeated passes firing that gun and visibly slowing on each occasion.  I've never seen a Hunter firing.

BTW - if you were in the RAF aroudn the time of the Hunter, it's very possible you could have bumped into my dad at some point.  There are photos for example of him sitting on the wing of a Hunter in Oman.  He did about 27 years in all, leaving as a Chief Tech at Brize Norton on MSS
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by rr on Today at 02:08:46 pm »
Wordle 1,043 4/6

🟨
🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 02:07:44 pm »
Beware that UFH can KILL pianos!

I wasn’t going to post this while a bathroom was being discussed!
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 02:07:20 pm »

For context. This morning race around the Netherlands started. One rider is riding it on a cargo bike. Complete with crate on the front. You'd be amazed at how far people can ride on many different types of bike...

J

a person can ride anything pretty much anywhere with training.  What the majority of people cannot do is go from 3km to 100km without training.  It is never about the bike.
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 02:04:43 pm »
We have underfloor heating in the house we own and I miss it terribly in our current house.  That was wet UFH on an insulated bed.

When we go back to the house I will be putting electric UFH in the large hall.  just walking on a warm floor makes you feel warm.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 01:58:30 pm »

For context. This morning race around the Netherlands started. One rider is riding it on a cargo bike. Complete with crate on the front. You'd be amazed at how far people can ride on many different types of bike...

J
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10