Author Topic: Gorilla Cage dimensions  (Read 1996 times)

Gorilla Cage dimensions
« on: 28 April, 2020, 01:36:24 pm »
Hello, I'm making some roll-top bags to fit my gorilla cage ...but my gorilla cage is locked on campus!

Could someone with one handy help me out with some dimensions so I can get the webbing ladders in the right place, please?

a - distance between the top of the bottom sticky-out-bit to the centre of the bottom strap
b - distance between the the centre of the bottom strap to the centre of the middle strap
c - distance between the the centre of the middle strap to the centre of the top strap
d - width of the velcro strap

Thanks in advance...

Re: Gorilla Cage dimensions
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2020, 01:59:07 pm »
Gorilla cage in hand

a: - 70mm
b: - 70mm
c: - 70mm
d: - 20mm

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2020, 02:06:27 pm »
Using a ruler and Mk 1 eyeball:

a) ~57mm  (I make it 46mm from the top of the 'shelf' to the bottom of the strap hole.  And 68mm to the top of the strap hole.  Strap holes are all 22mm wide, to fit 20mm strap.)
b) 70mm
c) 70mm
d) 20mm

I don't see how Anyd64 can get 70mm for (a), unless his Gorilla Cage is a different design.

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2020, 02:51:07 pm »
This is what I measured. They are off a 2018 Genesis Longitude

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2020, 03:59:16 pm »
Great - thanks both!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2020, 04:13:08 pm »
This is what I measured. They are off a 2018 Genesis Longitude

I concur that *that* measurement is about 70mm.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2020, 04:47:45 pm »
I concur with Kim's measurements, but I'd add that the loops in the ladder of my genuine Gorilla Bag don't exactly match with the position of the straps. After experimentation I've gone with putting the straps through the lower of the two possible matching loops, but I think the point is it doesn't have to match exactly.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:04:06 pm »

I'm not aiming for millimetre perfect (#ConfidentlyWonky), but now I've got a 1:1 scale printout of the diagram above, checked against useful real world measurements, and can hopefully avoid any major mis-matches.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:06:12 pm »
All you have to do now is look forward to touring opportunities.  :thumbsup:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2020, 01:23:38 pm »
I've got a couple of Gorilla cages and I daren't go to the garage at the moment.  Could somebody tell me what, in mm, is the Widest point measurement?  I know it's variable with whatever I put on the cages but I need to know the width at the widest point. Ta.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2020, 01:31:02 pm »
I've got a couple of Gorilla cages and I daren't go to the garage at the moment.  Could somebody tell me what, in mm, is the Widest point measurement?  I know it's variable with whatever I put on the cages but I need to know the width at the widest point. Ta.

I've got access to mine now!

Do you mean how wide the straps will go (the website states a max fastening diameter of 16cm), or the max width of the plastic part?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2020, 02:56:53 pm »
Have you made your gorilla bags now, nikki? If so, any photos of your handiwork?

« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2020, 06:24:42 pm »

I've made one and a half. Apparently I lose interest once the main bit of problem solving is taken care of...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2020, 07:01:39 pm »
Love the use of old inner tubes.  :thumbsup: I guess they must be pretty tough to stitch? One and a half, however, since their application really demands pairs, is not much more usable than zero...

« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:34:35 pm »
I only have one Gorilla Cage, so it might also be said that two is not much more useable than one.

Yeah the inner tubes are not the easiest thing to work with. I had to deploy titanium and talc.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:18:58 am »
Ah, that's me assuming you'd put yours on the fork like I have, rather than any of the other cage-able places.  :facepalm:

« Reply #16 on: 26 May, 2020, 03:51:17 pm »
Oh they are intended for fork use. Or ideally seatstay use when I've made myself a hardtail with a disgusting number of cage mounts all over the place! Something sturdy against towpath brambles and all that.

The assumption might have been along the lines of disposable income :-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2020, 06:07:23 pm »
The *cage* works well onna recumbent boom TAAW.  Best if it's holding something reasonably solid that won't get in the way of whirling feets, thobut...

« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2020, 12:52:23 pm »

The first one looked suitably convincing in the gorilla cage, so I splashed out on another cage and got my arse into gear finishing the second bag:

Drainage:

Ginnel photoshoot with bonus bin for Jane:

Test stuffed with my tent (sans poles) and an Alpkit Mytistax (sans the pot I lost). Using silicone band-on mounts on the fork, which aren't going to be up to the job of holding the bags carrying this much. Overall I'm pretty chuffed with them.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: 03 August, 2020, 06:30:45 pm »
Ooh, they've got a lining! Also, I like the inclusion of puncture patches. The inclusion of drainage is interesting; what's the thinking behind that?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 03 August, 2020, 06:32:28 pm »
Ooh, they've got a lining! Also, I like the inclusion of puncture patches. The inclusion of drainage is interesting; what's the thinking behind that?

Milk.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 03 August, 2020, 06:37:24 pm »
As long as it's not jumper-based food transportation systems!

« Reply #22 on: 03 August, 2020, 08:10:51 pm »
They're riddled with holes from the sewing of the tubes, so I'm assuming water's going to get in. If When it does, I want it to be able to get out again, especially in the one with the lining.

I couldn't be bothered to do a sealed lining on the second one.