Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 862847 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3900 on: 24 November, 2019, 09:30:58 pm »
With the size some people get to I wouldn't be surprised if cremation started to add a premium for super huge bodies.
Oh, I don't know... With all that fat they could probably cut down on the amount of gas used, so I reckon a discount might be in order.  :demon:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3901 on: 24 November, 2019, 09:32:54 pm »
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3902 on: 24 November, 2019, 11:51:40 pm »
Unless I wither whilst dying, I am too heavy to donate my body for medical research. 80Kg is the limit Leicester University set for their donors.

80kg is not very much! Both my late grandmother and father became considerably lighter after they were 80.

My grandmother was 14 stone (89kg) when I was 6 and around 70kg when she died at 101.

Dad's about 72kg now but was 105kg most of my childhood & adolescence. He is 89.

« Reply #3903 on: 25 November, 2019, 08:41:48 am »
That the equals sign (=) was a Welsh invention.
Recorde also introduced some wonderful terminology for power functions above x3.  We structural engineers measure the interent stiffness of a shape by its second moment of area, measured commonly in cm4, or "zenzizenzic centimetres", as I am wont to say.

rr

« Reply #3904 on: 25 November, 2019, 10:27:31 am »
With the size some people get to I wouldn't be surprised if cremation started to add a premium for super huge bodies.
Oh, I don't know... With all that fat they could probably cut down on the amount of gas used, so I reckon a discount might be in order.  :demon:
Indeed body fat is the main fuel for a traditional cremation, the wood is only there to get the fat running and to provide a wick for the fat, thin people need much more fuel.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3905 on: 25 November, 2019, 12:55:46 pm »

Huh. Do you reckon they'd pass on the saving?  More likely they'd keep mum and stiff the stiffs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3906 on: 25 November, 2019, 01:20:35 pm »
Isn't there quite a high capital cost for the crematoria to provide BIGGER, STRONGER cremators, lifts, biers and other equipment that reduced fuel consumption is unlikely to offset?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3907 on: 25 November, 2019, 01:54:30 pm »
Supersized corpses ==> supersized crematoria? Marketing opportunity for McDonald's?

You want fries with that?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3908 on: 25 November, 2019, 02:28:52 pm »
Truly tasteless...
(click to show/hide)

Seems it IS a problem
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-34404342

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3909 on: 25 November, 2019, 02:40:46 pm »
On the day I was born the Luftwaffe grounded their fleet of F-104 Starfighters, because of their propensity for turning from aeroplane to mechanical mole.

<insert lyrics from Robert Calvert song here>
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3910 on: 25 November, 2019, 04:32:20 pm »
On the day I was born the Luftwaffe grounded their fleet of F-104 Starfighters, because of their propensity for turning from aeroplane to mechanical mole.

<insert lyrics from Robert Calvert song here>

Also known as the Widowmaker, very difficult in anything other than a straight line apparently
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3911 on: 25 November, 2019, 05:16:54 pm »
Lockheed's slush-powered aeroplane.

An F-104 was responsible for an XB-70 prototype crashing. They were flying slowly in formation for a photo op but the F-104 couldn't hold station and drifted back into the XB-70's wing.  Marketing-inspired fuckup, as usual.

« Reply #3912 on: 25 November, 2019, 05:53:21 pm »
I've heard people suggest that the F-104 wasn't actually that much more dangerous than its contemporaries, but I've not checked the stats myself. Some of the suspicion may of course come from the whole bribery thing - even by arms company standards, the F-104G's procurement decisions were... motivated by external factors, shall we say?

« Reply #3913 on: 25 November, 2019, 06:40:21 pm »
I've heard people suggest that the F-104 wasn't actually that much more dangerous than its contemporaries, but I've not checked the stats myself. Some of the suspicion may of course come from the whole bribery thing - even by arms company standards, the F-104G's procurement decisions were... motivated by external factors, shall we say?

The German loss rate for their F-104s of 32% over 31 years wasn't actually the worst for operators of the type.

Italy lost 37% over 29 years, Belgium lost 41% over 20 years and Canada lost at least 46% over 25 years. It should be noted that Canadian F-104s clocked up three times the flying hours compared to those operated by Germany, so on a loss per x flying hours, Canada was doing better than Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-104_Starfighter#Safety_record

Other fleets had lower attrition rates - the main Wiki page for the F-14 says that Japan lost 15%, but on the page for Starfighter operators, it says only 3 were lost, which works out at under 1.5%. The Spanish air force didn't lose a single F-104.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lockheed_F-104_Starfighter_operators

As far as other types go, ISTR that the F-100 Super Sabre had a pretty bad attrition rate. According to El Wiki, the USAF lost 889 in accidents, which is just under 39% of the entire production run of 2294.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3914 on: 25 November, 2019, 06:57:58 pm »
The grandfather of conservative party candidate and extremely crap parker Richard Drax, was a friend of Ian Fleming, who named the villain in Moonraker after him.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

« Reply #3915 on: 26 November, 2019, 07:01:55 am »
Lockheed's slush-powered aeroplane.

An F-104 was responsible for an XB-70 prototype crashing. They were flying slowly in formation for a photo op but the F-104 couldn't hold station and drifted back into the XB-70's wing.  Marketing-inspired fuckup, as usual.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fCORwUxlNQo

This one

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3916 on: 26 November, 2019, 08:50:58 am »
Yup, that's it.  The plane taking the photos was something like a Piper Cub and its max speed was just above the F-104's stalling speed. In addition, the F-104's limited visibility meant that very often Joe Walker couldn't see the XB-70's wing and just had to hope he was in the right place.

From what I've read, the crashes in Europe were mostly due to the fact that the F-104 was a high-altitude interceptor, but in Europe it was forced into service as a low-level high-speed attack bomber - the kind of role that had been planned for the TSR-2 - and it was horribly unsuited for it. But Lockheed spread its sheltering slush fund around and none of the politicians died.

In the 90s the Luftwaffe sold off a lot of old F-104 airframes, minus engines and, presumably, armament.  A chap a few km from here bought one and kept it in his garden for a few years; then one day it was minus wings and a bit later it was gone. Rather beautiful.

ElyDave

« Reply #3917 on: 26 November, 2019, 09:13:24 am »
There's a place down the A17 not far from here, roadside diner, that has a load of ex-military stuff displayed on the forecourt, a few artillery pieces, tracked vehicles and a Hunter.  Keep meaning to stop and take a photo of that one as my dad used to work on those

« Reply #3918 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:18:19 am »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3919 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:44:14 am »

From what I've read, the crashes in Europe were mostly due to the fact that the F-104 was a high-altitude interceptor, but in Europe it was forced into service as a low-level high-speed attack bomber - the kind of role that had been planned for the TSR-2 - and it was horribly unsuited for it. But Lockheed spread its sheltering slush fund around and none of the politicians died.

"We need a plane for bombing, strafing, assault und battery, interception, ground support and reconnaissance, not just A FAIR-WEATHER FIGHTER" ~ Franz Josef Strauß in 1961, yesterday
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3920 on: 26 November, 2019, 11:49:22 am »
Lockheed Rep: Well, we'll jazz it up a little and call it the F-104G.

Franz Josef Strauss: F-104G?

Lockheed Rep: Yes Herr Minister, F-104G. G, err, G for Germany.

Franz Josef Strauss: G for Germany! Also, G for Gott Strafe England!, This I am enjoying.

Part of conversation which led to Germany buying 800 Starfighters (as related by one R Calvert Esq)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ElyDave

« Reply #3921 on: 26 November, 2019, 12:18:38 pm »

« Reply #3922 on: 26 November, 2019, 01:20:14 pm »
Actually, 'teeny wing, big engine' is a decent solution to the low-level strike design problem, albeit one that makes for long takeoff and landing runs. I don't know what the avionics were like - the 'missile with a man in it' wasn't exactly endowed with loads of spare room.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3923 on: 26 November, 2019, 01:26:30 pm »
Interview with a starfighter pilot.

Interviewer: What was it like to land?
Starfighter pilot: Ha ha ha. ... It was a pig.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3924 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:46:29 am »
Slightly chilling: according to an article in Nature, tumours can form synapses with healthy nerves.  Haven't read the article yet, Nature is MrsT's and I saw it over her shoulder.