Author Topic: Jasmine rides the front  (Read 6749 times)

Jasmine rides the front
« on: 01 June, 2008, 08:20:33 pm »
So, having bailed on the Irish Mail on Saturday, Andy and I found ourselves with time on our hands on Sunday, but with little inclination to do anything serious.  We decided to go to the seaside to have some late lunch.

I suggested that we could go on the tandem and I could have a go at riding the front.  It's a fairly flat 2 km from our house to the promenade, mostly on the off-road (but tarmaced) cycle-path.  Thus instant death was unlikely.

It was interesting.  We had to wheel the bike to the end of the street so I could start off on the flat.  I then took over 4 minutes to set off at all.  2 false starts later where I started veering off toward parked cars and we were off - slowly.  Wobble wobble.  I can't hold Andy's weight to set off, so he had to scoot a little bit whilst I control the handlebars.  At the end of the road there was a corner.  A bit more wobbling followed, but I made the turn onto the cycle path.  Amazingly, as we approached oncoming pedestrians they all lept off the path I as came wobbling slowly towards them scream "oh no, I'm scared."

On the way back I sort of got the hang of it.  I could actually steer around corners and eventually managed to take a hand off the bars.  It was pretty scary though.  I think I'll appreciate Andy's bike handling skills a bit more though now.  I might try to practice a bit more though, I was significantly better on the way home than the first half.

Re: Jasmine rides the front
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »
Good for you! :)

It's hard work on the shoulders, isn't it? :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:42:13 am »
I find it quite hard to hold Jan's weight when we are stopped. I think that a lot of the problem is that she's tall, has a lot of seat post showing and there are just too many moments about a point (or something).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:45:07 am »
Yes, very hard on the upper body generally Martin.  I was amazed at how much the front wants to snake around.  It's easy to overcompensate in the steering and end up wobbling around.  :-[

Andy's not very much taller than me and only weighs 10 kg more than me.  He rode on my saddle height yesterday so had a bit less tippy motion. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:58:25 am »
Tandems shouldn't self-steer by leaning (apparently so you don't end up in the hedge when the stoker decides to scratch his/her leg and takes the captain by surprise), so the handlebars have to be physically moved.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:09:11 am »
Tandems shouldn't self-steer by leaning (apparently so you don't end up in the hedge when the stoker decides to scratch his/her leg and takes the captain by surprise), so the handlebars have to be physically moved.

How could I have ridden no-hands on one then?

In fact, as you learn to counterbalance the stoker's movements with upper body movements of your own and not fight the steering, it becomes much less hard on the shoulders and arms.

Mind you there was that time when my stoker bottled out. We were heading rapidly downhill towards a 90 degree left-hander and he was determined to keep the bike upright. I had a real fight to get it round the corner. We had words afterwards.

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:21:42 am »

Mind you there was that time when my stoker bottled out. We were heading rapidly downhill towards a 90 degree left-hander and he was determined to keep the bike upright. I had a real fight to get it round the corner. We had words afterwards.

When I ride stoker I sometimes close my eyes on sharp bends so that I can't subconciously lean either way.  It also means that if we do go down I'll never see it coming...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:30:06 am »

When I ride stoker I sometimes close my eyes on sharp bends so that I can't subconciously lean either way.  It also means that if we do go down I'll never see it coming...

Me too.

It also saves on Stain Devil. 

;D

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:54:22 am »

So long as you remember not to do that when you're on the front.

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:27:32 am »

;D ;D ;D   I think we've all been there at one point or another.   My last one was when I was in urban ninja commuting mode and weaving through traffic as I knew we could make it...  Mrs Nutty isn't confident in traffic...

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2008, 04:56:11 pm »
Years ago when I was tandemming with a guy from Aachen we used weight-changs by the stoker. Especially in corners, towards the end of the corner I'd move backwards so the tyre would really bite into the corner and acceleration was a lot faster. But that was with a captain who had the same instincts as me, from day 1 we could both climb out of the saddle and during the second outing trackstand at a trafficlight.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:25:46 pm »
We've tried our 2Across with Butterfly on the front.  It's hard for a pilot to stoke, but we managed.  I think it would be too hard for her to hold my weight when we stop (no jokes, please!), but it certainly is possible.

Remember that it is traditional for the woman to be in front.
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2008, 03:28:48 pm »
...as you learn to counterbalance the stoker's movements with upper body movements of your own and not fight the steering, it becomes much less hard on the shoulders and arms...

Is that what I do?

Frame stiffness makes a big difference too. Our Cannondale is a piece of cake to steer compared with the Dawes it replaced (despite being much more roomy for the stoker).

Profit or planet?

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:40:29 am »
Andy never let me ride the front of our Dawes.  It was too big at the front for me to get to anyway. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that when Andy was on the back he was still trying to pilot from the back to be honest.  I think that might have contributed to the difficult starts.  He did say that if he's ever really really knackered on an Audax with only 5 km to go that he's still not going to let me ride the front though  ::-)

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:08:12 am »
I was a terrible stoker. Only did it twice and hated every moment. I knew I was trying to steer, but just couldn't stop.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:41:47 am »
I want to stoke sometimes.  Captaining is great fun and Liz and I make a brilliant team, but every so often, I'd like to take in the view and see life from the rear seat.

Phil took me for a ride on the Wowbaggers' tandem last year and it was terrifying, but I'd like to try again sometime.  Sadly Liz is just too ickle to pilot the front of our new bike.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:46:35 am »
A little captain is good because the stoker gets a better view, whereas it's usually the other way round. I have seen tandems built larger at the back. One trick for new and terrified stokers is to practise with your hands on the captain's back, not the bars.

alan

« Reply #17 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:49:52 am »
I was a terrible stoker. Only did it twice and hated every moment. I knew I was trying to steer, but just couldn't stop.

same here.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #18 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:35:47 am »
I want to stoke sometimes.  Captaining is great fun and Liz and I make a brilliant team, but every so often, I'd like to take in the view and see life from the rear seat.

Phil took me for a ride on the Wowbaggers' tandem last year and it was terrifying, but I'd like to try again sometime.  Sadly Liz is just too ickle to pilot the front of our new bike.

If when we do PBP onna triplet...

:D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:56:26 am »

Just name the day, m'dear - it would be an honour! Mrs. Wow isn't as tall as you but she does have enormous inside legs... :o

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 06 June, 2008, 11:57:19 am »
Can we do some filthy tandem swopping on Sunday, then?  Can we?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:00:37 pm »
Can we do some filthy tandem swopping on Sunday, then?  Can we?

Of course!
<flanders & swann>
(Secretly carves one more notch in his gold-handled Zefal HP4)
</flanders & swann>

Edit: having said that, Jan has never pilotted.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:06:03 pm »

If when we do PBP onna triplet...

I don't think any girls have done PBP on a triplet...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:07:30 pm »
We know  :D

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #24 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:07:49 pm »