Author Topic: Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please  (Read 24370 times)

Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please
« on: 29 December, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »
Just wondering what's out there, where's best to find them, etc.   

I'd quite like to put OSM on for instance plus anythign else useful that may exist.

Re: Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »
Rmaps is good, logs rides & you can export them as gpx files.

Appbrain is a good way of managing apps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2010, 11:43:45 pm »
Dunno about Rmaps, I use Google maps and then some sort of converter webpage which lets me import them to Bikely.
Would defo recommend Appbrain though, you can browse for apps on a proper pooter and send them to your phone, without having to use the ghastly Google market interface.
Not only that, but you can sex your phone up with nice downloadable wallpapers. In fact you can upload your own too.
Thx to appbrain I got some lovely B&W photo Pingu tweaked as a wallpaper, got rid of the awful HTC clock/weather app and got a much more delish clock. (See ADW launcher and white ADW theme) Plus you can use appbrain to share what you got, like so:
http://www.appbrain.com/user/pinniped/apps-on-the-phone

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2010, 11:48:24 pm »
I really like Lothian Buses bus tracker, but I accept it might not have much relevance for you.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2010, 11:53:42 pm »
I also downloaded Mapdroyd, and another OSM map app that I don't think I have any more (can't remember the name). I got these apps in the hope that I could use them as a navigational aid when we were on holiday in Belgium, but they just weren't good enough in the rural areas for cycling purposes. So we made do with paper maps, and if we were really really stuck we took a short hit on the data costs for a very quick look at Google Maps.

Sometimes I also have a snoop about here, to see what they've come up with. But I'm still trying in vain to find a good solution to the 'led only flashes for 5 mins on receipt of text' problem. xda-developers

I've found the HIIT interval trainer quite useful as a personal trainer type device for the treadmill at the gym too.

Oh, and Silent Boot is a must if you can't stand that godawful tune belting out when you turn your phone on, louder than anything else you have installed.....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2010, 06:44:54 am »
Mine is (*click* aww, still on the lorry) coming.  I was going to start with Osmand for the droid / OSM apps, and then play with Vespucci for an editor.  Bike Hub uses OSM for bike-route routing. 

Google Maps is a no-brainer.  OS Atlas Free is a UK Ordnance Survey map eye - no routing, nice for a ramble?

Dude Where's My Droid looks useful (any alternatives?).  Mails you back with a GPS fix.

Google Goggles, Wikitude, Google Sky, Word Lens for the augmented-reality wow-factor...  8)

What weather apps do people like?  The Weather Channel looks best of the bunch, but only until the Met Office one gets ported from iOS.

AppBrain has a "people in the UK like" filter: Get the Popular Android apps in the United Kingdom on AppBrain (and other filters too, yay dropdown)

I'm gonna be hammering the ether with this thing. ;D 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:10:32 am »
Is there one that lets you just "save  my current lat long" ?
geotagging, i think you might call it in technospeak

Quite simple, i just want to be able to refer back to the point i was at, don't need reverse geocoding.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
Is there one that lets you just "save  my current lat long" ?
geotagging, i think you might call it in technospeak

Quite simple, i just want to be able to refer back to the point i was at, don't need reverse geocoding.

I believe Google Latitude might well do that...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Euan Uzami

« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:23:49 am »
No, that just broadcasts it to everyone BUT me...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:29:10 am »
Then we can ring you and tell you where you are.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:33:57 am »
Oh great. So can you ring me please and tell me where I WAS at 8:45am this morning please, thx.  ;) ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:34:23 am »
Angry Birds  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:36:26 am »
Oh, and Silent Boot is a must if you can't stand that godawful tune belting out when you turn your phone on, louder than anything else you have installed.....

I like the way it writes "Quietly Brilliant" on the screen as it drills tiny holes through your ear drums with that tone...  ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:44:01 am »
This simple GPS has it: Gps - Android app on AppBrain

(so do almost all the fancy ones)

There's also one for OS grid refs: Grid Reference - Android app on AppBrain which should keep the papermap fans fannish.

Ooh! A lensatic (look-through type, aka 'military') compass! Reality+Compass - Android app on AppBrain
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 30 December, 2010, 11:50:22 am »
Google voice search, for the "oooh that's cool" factor. May be installed by default by now?
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 30 December, 2010, 02:00:42 pm »
Live-action lightcycles? Coca-Cola Zero LiveCycle -- currently one-player (running around in the park like you're on double-strength wizz  ;D ) but a multiplayer update is promised OMGSQUEEBBQ!

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2010, 07:08:05 am »
Runkeeper Pro is free through January, a decent GPS  tracking and training app for Android that has audio cues for interval training and music player integration.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
Duly added  :thumbsup:

Lifehacker Pack for Android: Our List of the Best Android Apps has some good stuff.  Has anyone tried Tasker?  I like the idea of making a one-button widget to kill SMS, turn on GPS, launch Navigate and start playing some choons all at once.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #18 on: 31 December, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »
Live-action lightcycles? Coca-Cola Zero LiveCycle -- currently one-player (running around in the park like you're on double-strength wizz  ;D ) but a multiplayer update is promised OMGSQUEEBBQ!

Where did you get that from? I canna find it in the Market cap'an
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #19 on: 31 December, 2010, 01:13:58 pm »
It's there.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 31 December, 2010, 02:31:40 pm »
Livecycle, no spaces, not light or lite.   :thumbsup:

Also: OMG Kittens! - Android app on AppBrain

« Reply #21 on: 31 December, 2010, 02:52:35 pm »

Where did you get that from? I canna find it in the Market cap'an

LiveCycle (Android) - Download

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 01 January, 2011, 03:08:55 pm »
This one

SMS Backup - Android app on AppBrain

Backed up all my text to my gmail :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #23 on: 02 January, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »
Does anyone have recommendations for engineering or maths type apps?

There are some good ones for Apple iOS devices, but I'll be buying an android phone soon so want to find alternatives for that.

Will definitely want a good RPN calculator with stack type function (HP Stylee).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 03 January, 2011, 01:24:34 am »
No, but Zombie, Run! looks fun and Drop is beautifully simple.  Also Friction Mobile.  It's games night ...