Author Topic: My flippin Garmin 705 has bricked  (Read 2216 times)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
My flippin Garmin 705 has bricked
« on: 29 August, 2010, 07:23:58 pm »
Went out for a walk today to make a track to upload to OSM having spent most of today studying it, and keen to make my contribution.

Got home plugged in device via USB and nothing, nada, zip. Can't start it up or anything won't even show on screen that it will take a charge.

After consideration, this issue coupled with the disappearing maps mid route that I've experienced, I've decided to seek a refund from wiggle and seek an alternative device. I've been a good customer of wiggle over the years I hope they do the right thing, I really don't think this device is consistently fit for purpose.

Bit peed off about the whole episode really, got a trip coming up and it's an expensive piece of kit that's more unstable than a wobbly thing at a wobbly fair.

FTR I had upgraded to the new firmware.

Re: My flippin Garmin 705 has bricked
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2010, 09:20:12 pm »
FTR I had upgraded to the new firmware.

Ah, that'll be it then. There are plenty of reports from others about the 3.2 firmware being very dodgy on the 705.

I don't think you should have much trouble getting a refund, but consider keeping it if Garmin will give you one downgraded to 3.1
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bloomers100

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »
After a day of reflection and scouring the interweb for alternatives, and also taking on board Greenbank's sage advice I decided to ring Garmin support direct and they have asked me to send the unit back which I have.

I think a replacement offer was fairly inevitable from Wiggle and I may have saved myself some faffing.

The two issues of dropped maps and now the bricking issue were no more common to 'Murray' at Garmin than any other fault.

I'll let you know when the 3.1 version garmin returns in the post.

bloomers100

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:18:03 pm »
I today rang Garmin to chase up my returned 705 and was told that they haven't got to it yet and can't even confirm it has arrived. I paid over a fiver to get it there recorded delivery next day by 1300.

I'm reAlly disappointed with this performance, they return it by two-day courier. The net result is
That I won't have it for four day tour of Devon next week. Great! Expensive bit of kit not available to me. Anyone got any advice apart from buy a map?
They say they're snowed under, not good endorsement for garmin me thinks.

inc

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:38:31 pm »
I updated to the 3.2 firmware and have been using  it without any problems for about three weeks but after reading about Garmin withdrawing the 3.20 version from their site I put the 3.10 version back on. I got  3.10 from the Garmin forum and it only took a few minutes to install. I would have tried that before sending it back, it is all they are going to do.

bloomers100

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:32:10 pm »
I couldn't even switch it on or 'see' it on explorer to do that.

inc

« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2010, 03:05:53 pm »
I couldn't even switch it on or 'see' it on explorer to do that.

That sounds more than just a firmware problem so sending it back to Garmin was probably your best option. If it had just  been the firmware a hard reset may have worked which is holding in the mode button while powering up.It will be interesting to hear what Garmin ( eventually)  say the problem is.

bloomers100

« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2010, 08:14:33 am »
about 14 working days after sending my garmin back, they have sent me a new boxed one, so I now have two sets of all mounts, chest straps and cadence sensors. Lucky me.

I shall be monk like in my charging protocols (mains only) and computer syncing and shan't be doing firmware upgrades!

« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:16:42 am »
mine went the same way this morning, Bloomers. 

I phoned Garmin, they said it would take about 3 weeks to inspect and either fix or replace, so I called Amazon and they're putting a new unit in first class post today and will let me send the borked one back 'when I can'.  Great service. 

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »

I phoned Garmin, they said it would take about 3 weeks to inspect and either fix or replace, so I called Amazon and they're putting a new unit in first class post today and will let me send the borked one back 'when I can'.  Great service. 

How old was the unit you sent back to Amazon? I've got a etrex Vista Hcx that I bought from Amazon marketplace in July that is also borked, but I can't see on the website any phone details for contacting them.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

bloomers100

« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2010, 07:03:34 am »
You have my sympathies Mike, sounds like Amazon have done you well tho, hope you get it back soon. My new one has been fine although I haven't followed a long route on it yet.

I'm liking the OSM contour map that I've been trying out, more info than City Navigator for my area. Hope to contribute to OSM soon.

« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2010, 07:47:50 am »

How old was the unit you sent back to Amazon? I've got a etrex Vista Hcx that I bought from Amazon marketplace in July that is also borked, but I can't see on the website any phone details for contacting them.

it was only about 3 weeks old.  I managed to find the phone number for amazon support, sounded like a callcentre in China but they were very helpful - 0800 496 1081.  He suggested a replacement so quickly I recon they've had loads of complaints about it.

« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:45:41 am »
Mine did an odd reset the other day. History is still there, profile still there (i.e. my birthday is correct) but some settings had gone (it'd switched back to Imperial measurements, and had gone back to the default data fields on the two bike computer pages).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."