Author Topic: The path to regaining fitness  (Read 940 times)

The path to regaining fitness
« on: 20 March, 2024, 05:57:34 pm »
Having been advised by surgeons not to resume running or cycling for a month (5 days in), im resigned to the fact that my cycling specific fitness will deteriorate somewhat. However, im optimistic that ill regain a modicum of fitness as im currently free of lower abdominal pain that i endured for a decade. Lighter evenings and warmer weather will assist my comeback.
As im a bit old school i intend to just ride as i feel RPE. i imagine it will be, in modern parlance zone 2.
The drivetrains on my bikes are squeaky clean, tyres free from any embedded foreign objects.
I will volunteer at a local audax and put something back.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: The path to regaining fitness
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:59:01 pm »
I had to have time off all my activities when I had my breast cancer treatment. No cycling, no kayaking, no swimming etc. from having surgery until I recovered from my radiotherapy. It was about 4 months in total. When I asked what I was allowed to do, it was suggested I could do a brisk walk up to 5km per day, so that's what I did. It was something of a struggle to get back to normal after that, but it comes back eventually. It would have been much worse if I hadn't kept moving!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:19:45 am »
Its just not happening. Nearly five weeks sìnce i had a Turp operation and although that area seems to have healed very well i find myself unbelievably tired. For context , im 63 and am a builder, currently working full time. I returnred to work 10 days after op. and took it easy for a week. Im finding that although im able to direct others, problem solve as well as carry out often very physical tasks . This is what ive done for 35 years. Its as though quite suddenly ive aged. Ive no spare energy for cycling or running. Its work or cycle/run i cant do both anymore. It may not be the op. perhaps its natural that im bound to slow down but it seems quite sudden. My wife would like me to stop work after this current project and focus on personal wellness.
Ive worked in construction, run and cycled all my life and now ive to choose it seems.

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:51:26 am »
I’m not a doctor, but I would guess that diving straight into being a builder (outdoors a lot, on your feet and moving about, even if you get someone else to do the heavy stuff) is more than your body really wanted. You’ll be catching up with that. A few days off might help, and build back up steadily.
Though it doesn’t hurt to consider retiring at some point.
Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:52:35 am »
I do think you haven't give yourself enough time to recover from your op.
Your idea of "taking it easy" is probably not the same as your consultant

I've had two major abdominal ops, and in each case was not allowed to run or twist or lift anything for 6 weeks.
Got me out of the housework!
Being self-employed in horticulture, that was tricky but I just had to delegate.
I was told I could walk as much as I wanted, so I gave out instuctions for the day and walked off.
After the six weeks, I was up and running again fairly quickly.

Give yourself more time.
Then you can decide if you want/can afford to retire from full-time work.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:08:19 pm »
You need two to four months.
It WILL happen.
It’s not happened yet.
Give It TIME!
Eat well.
Rest well.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOSE WEIGHT!
Eat a sensible diet and don’t eat TOO much fattening food if you’re worried.

Chill out till the solstice -watch and enjoy the Spring.

Give It TIME!

Just because there’s not much to see externally from your surgery, you shouldn’t forget this has been a MAJOR insult to your insides.

Take it easy.
Don’t stress out!
If you can afford a beach bum holiday now, go for it - just sun, sitting, eating and a little culture/entertainment.

Too much activity at this stage can be counterproductive.

Give it TIME!

Hope you’re feeling more energetic soon!