Author Topic: The End of Hibernation 200  (Read 18645 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: The End of Hibernation 200
« Reply #75 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »
I'm in for the 200 but as a 340km ride  ::-)
Looks like it will be a long day on the trike also as I'll not have the new 'B' frame in time for a rebuild.

simonp

« Reply #76 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:34:02 pm »
It's a great route.  Hard work in a cold easterly though.  :thumbsup:

JJ

« Reply #77 on: 06 March, 2010, 10:14:09 pm »
Route check today.  It was indeed a tough day out for me.  Thanks to Terry and Bridget for looking after me when I had my deep downer.  Right now I can barely think.

Tubby T's are very welcoming.  They still have the "Thank-you" certificate on the wall from last year.

Lakeside is looking smarter than I have ever seen it.  He plans to open for the summer next weekend, and will be doing a full menu rather than the restricted just-for-us that he did last year.

Finchingfield control this year will be at Bosworths cafe/carvery, next to the Fox.

The 100 shares the first and third controls with the 200 at Tubby T's and Bosworth's so be careful who you follow  :D

There were a couple of road closures but nothing to worry a cyclist.

I'll be updating the notes and emailing/posting out asap now.

« Reply #78 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:17:06 am »
The 100 shares the first and third controls with the 200 at Tubby T's and Bosworth's so be careful who you follow 

I must try my best to remember this!!

As well as my first audax, it'll be only the fourth or fifth ride on my new steed (the weather put the kybosh on getting used to it).  Which means only the fourth or fifth ride on the new B17, with derailleurs (I've been using hub gears for the last two and a half years) and with drop bars instead of flat bars.

I'm going to suffer i do believe!

simonp

« Reply #79 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:30:34 pm »
Route check today.  It was indeed a tough day out for me.  Thanks to Terry and Bridget for looking after me when I had my deep downer.  Right now I can barely think.

We weren't going to just leave you out there!  And we'd been going quite hard so I was fine with easing up a bit. :). I felt quite unsteady when I got home but felt much better after a recovery drink and a cold bath.  :-X

« Reply #80 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:27:00 am »
JJ, can we enter on the line?

JJ

« Reply #81 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:56:17 am »
Yes, but we'll be pretty busy, so you may miss the main field departing.  There's also a small risk of my running out of cards, and having to edit one from last year.

Best thing is if you're able to email me with your details a couple of days in advance, and turn up with an entry form printed off and the right money/cheque. That way I could get a card ready for you.

This is even more true of the 100 if anyone here is thinking of entering that.

« Reply #82 on: 08 March, 2010, 06:10:12 pm »
As well as my first audax, it'll be only the fourth or fifth ride on my new steed (the weather put the kybosh on getting used to it).  Which means only the fourth or fifth ride on the new B17, with derailleurs (I've been using hub gears for the last two and a half years) and with drop bars instead of flat bars.

Are you sure it wouldn't be better to be on a more familiar machine?

JJ

« Reply #83 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:21:45 am »
Rider info, GPS and route sheet have been updated on the web site. Emailed them out where I have addreses.  Snail mail will follow where I have envelopes.

Suffolk is full of 'oles, and Sudbury is being dug-up.  Maybe don't use the best wheels.  The control at Finchingfield has moved to Bosworth's

'Night all.

« Reply #84 on: 10 March, 2010, 07:59:50 am »
Are you sure it wouldn't be better to be on a more familiar machine?

No, i'm sure i'll be fine!  I've done a couple of 45 mile rides on it and felt quite comfortable.  And the whole point of getting this bike was for Audax as it is lighter than my 18kg everyday machine, so i'm determined to make use of it!

It's just lots of new things all on one day (mainly the actual event) playing havoc with my head.... :-\

JJ

« Reply #85 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:11:51 am »
It's just lots of new things all on one day (mainly the actual event) playing havoc with my head.... :-\

You'll be just fine.  The time limits are generous.  You've got two cafe stops, and plenty of other people on the road, so you should be able to find someone about your speed to ride with, and the sky won't fall in if you go out of time, or if you grab the train back from Wendens.  Which you won't.

Instead, you'll finish with enough time in hand to go 1/4 mile off route and take in the Thriplow daffodil festival (fork right leaving Fowlmere) in the afternoon sun before trundling back to Haslingfield for a cup of soup.

Is your new bike wearing a route sheet holder and/or a GPS?  That makes navigation easier, but plenty of people prefer to attach the route to their forearm with rubber bands, or to their cables with clothes pegs.

« Reply #86 on: 10 March, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »
Thanks JJ....

Yep, i've got a route sheet holder and i'll have a map with the route marked on it.

Once i'm underway, i'm certain i'll have a cracking time! 

Chris S

« Reply #87 on: 10 March, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »
Ooh... I may have a Guilt Free pass for this after all. It's #2 Son's birthday on the Saturday,  so hadn't entered as I guessed it would be Bad Form to do so - but it looks like the family celebrations are on Friday eve, and we are then being evicted to make way for a young 'uns party Saturday/Sunday.

Mrs S and I may bimble down to the general area on the Saturday afternoon, to escape; then I can ride on Sunday and Mrs S can get pampered somewhere, or get some retail therapy in Cambridge.

I'll bung in a speculative Paypal entry on this basis.

JJ

« Reply #88 on: 10 March, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »
Thanks JJ....

Yep, i've got a route sheet holder and i'll have a map with the route marked on it.

Once i'm underway, i'm certain i'll have a cracking time! 

It'd have to be a quick 100 rider and a slow/late starting 200 rider to meet at the first control, but the rides both head out along the A143 (very quiet) for a mile or two, then the 100 turns off a couple of hundred yards sooner.  If you are on the 100 and are overtaken by a rider of diminutive stature, with large specs, clip-on tri-bars and an unfeasibly tall gear, then DO NOT FOLLOW.

The two rides are more likely to mingle at Finchingfield.  After the Finchingfield control, they share the road through Great Bardfield and Thaxted, then at the bottom of a long straight slope, the 100 goes SO@X to Saffron Walden while the 200 goes L SP Newport.

« Reply #89 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:19:43 am »
If you are on the 100 and are overtaken by a rider of diminutive stature, with large specs, clip-on tri-bars and an unfeasibly tall gear, then DO NOT FOLLOW.

I shall steer clear of the aforementioned unhinged individual!

Simonb

« Reply #90 on: 17 March, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »
I'll see you there. I've managed to persuade my old pal Matt to ride this (his first Audax). Should be fun!

JJ

« Reply #91 on: 18 March, 2010, 12:18:02 pm »
Looking forward to seeing you all.  There's a good crowd this year.  Lots of familiar names, and with Terry's 100 starting at 10, we'll be pretty busy.

Much depends on the weather gods.  And the cafes. And the roads and....<descends into hopeless worrying>

JJ

Chris S

« Reply #92 on: 18 March, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »
Being a bit wrong in the head, I shall be on Fixed.

<bart>
I must not walk up the hill at Hartest.
.../...
</bart>

Here, I mean.

:)

simonp

« Reply #93 on: 18 March, 2010, 11:29:34 pm »
JJ and Terry both beat me up it when we rode the route.  :-[

Mind you, I was "pacing myself".  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: 19 March, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »
   I always walk Hartest Hill*, thats why I still have the use of my knees :D It'll be good practice for walking, oh, about 5 times, probably, on the Dorset Coast after Easter.
   Deniece will walk it even with a full complement of those new-fangled gears, so I shan't feel too bad.
   * Unless I have fixed company & get into some stupid macho thing about not getting off first.

Chris S

« Reply #95 on: 19 March, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
   I always walk Hartest Hill*, thats why I still have the use of my knees :D It'll be good practice for walking, oh, about 5 times, probably, on the Dorset Coast after Easter.

Ooh... let me guess...

1. Lulworth Cove
2. Abbotsbury
3. Somewhere between Bridport and Axminster
4. Sector Lane
5. Spyway

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #96 on: 20 March, 2010, 05:07:54 pm »
Being a bit wrong in the head, I shall be on Fixed.

<bart>
.../...
</bart>

Here, I mean.

:)

I only entered this on the strict understanding that it was pan flat and there would be a strong westerly out abating and becoming easterly on the way back.  Perhaps I'll stay in bed.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #97 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:24:11 pm »
Wind in the wrong direction on the way back and there were hills - 4000 feet of them.  Nice weather though and a good  second stop-no queues :-)

Less impressive were the road works on the ride but epecially the closure of the A14 which added an hour and a quarter to my journey home. :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #98 on: 21 March, 2010, 10:17:07 pm »
Cracking day out on the bike. First SFW ride of 2010, and MY FIRST TRACE OF 2010 TANLINE :thumbsup:

Great route (No walking required at Hartest, though it was a close run thing), great organisation, and fantastic weather.

Blue skies, warm, (mostly) favourable winds... what more could you want?

Thanks JJ and helpers. Great Work  :D.

« Reply #99 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:50:20 pm »
No1Son & I inched round the 100, returning to the arrivee a whole 20 minutes ahead of my WSW clubmate on the 200 who we also met up with at Finchingfield.

You gluttonous souls ahead of us had cleared the first control out of cake, but my extensive local knowledge remembered the immediately adjacent shop has a ridiculously large selection of baked goods, just the right size for hiding files in, for visitors to the neighbouring prison.

Fortified, we 'raced' onwards with only a little swearing from me as I thought I was about to lose my legs downhill into S-by-C, and the removal of No1Son's mum-swear-filter when the Tesco delivery van completely failed to slow at all for us on a narrow wee lane.

A huge queue and slow service at Finchingfield meant we eschewed proper food for jelly babies and muesli bars which probably contributed to the poor boy's struggle for the final 20km. That, and the demoralising sight of the aforementioned clubmate disappearing off into the distance within a mile of setting out as a threesome...

Lovely route, just enough hills to be interesting. I've found out where all the lady cyclists are- they're doing populaires. I've never seen so many women out on bikes at once.

First fixed audax for me, and first ever audax for the boy. If he makes the weather likes this every time, I'll pack him in my panniers. There was, like, sun, and everything. I even ate a fly or two.