Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630782 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8575 on: 01 February, 2017, 09:27:18 pm »
Thanks!

I have every intention of pointing this out in my answers.

I have ticked some boxes with a 3B pencil. I know they specify using a pen but I can't and will explain.

I'm not sure whether this shitweaselism is incompetence, ignorance or malice. I can't be the first articulate, literate person who is unable to hold a pen; it's not that difficult a concept to understand.

Fucknuggets!

I might point out that my inability to hold a pen means I need to use more expensive technology, like having Caller Display on my landline so I can note phone numbers.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8576 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:05:33 pm »
Oh they know perfectly well. It's intentional. It's to make it harder which puts some people off.

Intelligent, articulate, educated and stroppy people like you and me aren't their most targeted group. But how many disabled people have the education, resources, time, cope, cynicism, fury and determination.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8577 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:21:13 pm »
Indeed and IT'S NOT FAIR!

We have a horrible government and these are horrible times.

I still have many spoons, thankfully.

I got the feeling that the call centre bods were none too knowledgeable.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8578 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:50:53 pm »
yes, fight!

they assume all too often that when confronted with bureaucracy, obfuscation and threats the citizen will back down with a resulting saving a few bob for the taxpayer.

They tried it with us over our son's education, realising that we really meant business when two well educated parents who wouldn't be daunted by their bullsh!t threatened to take them to a tribunal.  They backed down.  But they also knew that 9/10 would back off and get frightened way before that point.

Quoting Citizen Smith "Power to the People" is definitely applicable in this situation.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

« Reply #8579 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:02:11 pm »
Callcentre people if knowledgeable are NOT allowed to deviate from the script. If they are caught in sample listening in by management they get sanctioned/punished and sacked, even if they are being helpful. In fact even being helpful is barely allowed these days. 2 of my friends have escaped working for the DWP in the last few years, saying it was hideous and sanity wrecking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8580 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:31:00 pm »
I certainly got the feeling the call centre staff were reciting a premolished script, which was very frustrating!
Why does it take a full week for a form to arrive?
Do they have an arrangement with the Royal Mail for Extra-Slow delivery?

barakta

« Reply #8581 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:34:13 pm »
Yes, they intentionally send stuff second class.

I'd argue as 'public service provider' they should be anticipatorily offering people who can't handwrite the electronic version of the form... but I doubt you want to add "make Equality Act complaint" on that grounds to them as well as doing the DAMNED FORM.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8582 on: 01 February, 2017, 11:47:04 pm »
One call centre chap thought a pdf was a Reasonable Adjustment' but the next said that DWP was too afeared of Viruses to do this.
Strange as online filing is the norm for HMRC!
Their version of Second Class post does appear to be Extra Slow.
Eight days, FFS!
It's not as though I am in some offshore hidey hole!

barakta

« Reply #8583 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:05:06 am »
Ah yes the old security lie, either theirs or their faux concern for yours.  Access to Work made me agree a disclaimer last yr to use email (I'll reuse the wording for PIP which I intend to claim and correspond fully by email). They were supposed to be doing digital by default by 2014 but have fucked up the IT at a cost of £££. I would hate to see online only, but it should be a choice ffs.

I think the DWP post is lowest priority as they have special contracts with Royal Snail to handle mail at RM centres before it goes to DWP departments. It's probably "deliver when you can" and RM are happy to do it when they can so it's dreadful at busy times.  People can demand extensions but have to phone for them.

Offshore hideyholes are for the likes of David Scameron.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8584 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:34:47 pm »
In the same vein, received my "challenge to postal voting" letter today. Need to supply a specimen signature unless

a) have a disability that prevents me signing [OK, can perhaps expect ticking a box is do-able]
b) are unable to read or write
c) are unable to sign in a consistent and distinctive way because of disability or inability [again perhaps ticking a box is OK]

but (b), what kind of government fuckwit sends a letter asking people to indicate that they can't read it?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8585 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:36:17 pm »
but (b), what kind of government fuckwit sends a letter asking people to indicate that they can't read it?

The usual kind.

barakta

« Reply #8586 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »
The kind that doesn't give people a choice to specify their comms needs in a centralised way as now required within the NHS Accessible Information Standards!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8587 on: 07 February, 2017, 04:01:44 pm »
Why did Raleigh decide to make a headset lock nut with a head just larger than I can get my big adjustable spanner? Surely they knew in the 1980s someone would want to service their headset 30 years later and not have the right tool?

Also can this bug please bug-off?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8588 on: 07 February, 2017, 06:17:20 pm »
That's what your pressed steel Raleigh Spanner is for...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8589 on: 07 February, 2017, 06:20:00 pm »
More's the point, why do they make large adjustable spanners always slightly too small for headset locknuts?  It's like they've never seen an old bike, or ridden a Brompton over cattle grids.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8590 on: 07 February, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »
Solution: undo grub screw, remove adjusty helix and associated pingfuckits. File a smidgeon off the adjusty helix, allowing the spanner to open further. Reassembly is the reverse of the previous process, inc. associated pingfuckits.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8591 on: 07 February, 2017, 06:50:17 pm »
More's the point, why do they make large adjustable spanners always slightly too small for headset locknuts?  It's like they've never seen an old bike, or ridden a Brompton over cattle grids.
I've got one that actually reaches for the headset on my Claud Butler. It's right on the edge but does just fit. Unfortunately the Raleigh's is a very helpful 34.1 mm diameter (and octagonal) which is a couple mm outside of the capacity.

Solution: undo grub screw, remove adjusty helix and associated pingfuckits. File a smidgeon off the adjusty helix, allowing the spanner to open further. Reassembly is the reverse of the previous process, inc. associated pingfuckits.

I thought about that, then realised I could get a new spanner with a 38mm capacity delivered to m for £7.50, so decided not to risk killing the one I have. Especially as I think the fork and headset could be 26tpi, so I'll be sticking with the current headset for a while. As there's no sealing on the bottom cup/cone (I can see the balls and cage!) I'm tempted to nick the bottom half off of a sealed headset and replace that bit though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8592 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:48:56 pm »

Large adjustable spanners are *always* just too small for the large thing you want to spanner.
See also Plumbing / Water Pumps.

That's why we have the wonderous bodge of Water Pump Pliers ( AKA 'Hen's Legs' ) which open up to infeasible sizes and make a chewed-up mess of *anything*.

Beyond that, and it's time to get out the Stilsons, but that's not going to be pretty.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8593 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:27:41 am »
what kind of government fuckwit sends a letter asking people to indicate that they can't read it?

One that will get a bonus and promotion.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8594 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:30:18 am »
Ok so you want a road bike, you want to ride, and have ridden long distances.  A very nice steel framed bike comes up and you say it is too expensive....but you want to spend more money than the bike on a phone.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8595 on: 09 February, 2017, 04:43:43 pm »
MOAR DWP stuffs:

Posted 40 page 'How your disability affects you' form late Sunday night 5/2/2017.

13.21 today phoned DWP to see if form had arrived. Was told servers were down so phone back in 2 hours.
15.28 phoned DWP: nothing arrived and scanned yet; they said they'd allow extra time, knowing I'd posted it on time.
16.28 received SMS text thanking me for returning form.

At least I'll get my DLA for a couple more months. Dreading assessment and its upshot.

« Reply #8596 on: 09 February, 2017, 08:50:05 pm »
what kind of government fuckwit sends a letter asking people to indicate that they can't read it?

One that will get a bonus and promotion.

The same one in financial institutions that does not understand that blind and partially sighted people exist.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8597 on: 11 February, 2017, 11:37:57 am »
On my continuing quest for Shimano MT34 shoes that  fit, I notice Decathlon have size 47* in stock. What's more, the shop in town has a pair.

Toddle off to town, park bike, wander into shop. Check website, yup, still in stock.  None on shelf. Ask helpful member of staff who tells me (a) what's on the shelf is what they have and (b) they can order in, click and collect. The answer to why they show them in stock but don't have any eluded him until I suggested perhaps their website is a bit rubbish.

* all the time I've been a grown up I've taken size 46 shoes, even the past three pairs of Shimano shoes.  This time round they've changed how they measure stuff so 46 don't fit.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8598 on: 11 February, 2017, 11:54:01 am »
On my continuing quest for Shimano MT34 shoes that  fit, I notice Decathlon have size 47* in stock. What's more, the shop in town has a pair.

Toddle off to town, park bike, wander into shop. Check website, yup, still in stock.  None on shelf. Ask helpful member of staff who tells me (a) what's on the shelf is what they have and (b) they can order in, click and collect. The answer to why they show them in stock but don't have any eluded him until I suggested perhaps their website is a bit rubbish.

* all the time I've been a grown up I've taken size 46 shoes, even the past three pairs of Shimano shoes.  This time round they've changed how they measure stuff so 46 don't fit.

Funny. I think shimano has done something to their sizing because I've always taken a 45 in their shoes but this time (MT34) the 45 feels a little too big - which is the opposite of your finding.

Has the MT34 been superseded?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8599 on: 11 February, 2017, 11:57:26 am »

Funny. I think shimano has done something to their sizing because I've always taken a 45 in their shoes but this time (MT34) the 45 feels a little too big - which is the opposite of your finding.

Has the MT34 been superseded?

I thought the MT34 was the current model, BICBW.  The ones I'm currently using (which are falling apart and are a several of years old) are MT33.