Poll

Is golf a sport?

Yes
27 (33.8%)
No
53 (66.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Golf: sport or not  (Read 19926 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Golf: sport or not
« Reply #75 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:44:21 pm »
Paramo stuff is good for golf.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #76 on: 28 November, 2012, 01:35:02 pm »
I usually chip in when golf gets a bashing on YACF so here goes.

Being an occasional golfer, I can attest that, certainly for amateurs carrying their own clubs, lugging a full set around a long & hilly course is far from sedentary.  Then there is the psychological stress of screwing up repeatedly, unlike cycling which is a generally therapeutic activity, albeit with a certain amount of anxiety to be had on really testing rides.  Also, golf balls don't generally travel 300 yards on their own without a fair amount of persuasion.

I've often thought that long audax rides are a rarified form of self abuse but nothing even approaches the inner turmoil and self-loathing incurred by slicing a ball into the trees or taking three out of a steep-sided bunker.

Those who scoff at golf have almost certainly never tried it and if they have gave it up because it was too difficult.  Often when cycling past a golf course with friends I will say "Now that's a hard sport .... only partly joking"!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 28 November, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »
Of course, like most things in life, it's rather like hedgelaying...

That's a surprisingly perceptive comment Clarion.

Hedgelaying is the new golf in some ways. It's frequently featured on Countryfile. Sunday night TV programmes tend to generate increased interest in activities. We're having to up the number of training courses, obviously it's using an axe rather than a club, but the same muscle groups are brought into play.
The 1930s and 40s are in fashion, I look forward to the next series of OS maps, whose covers will feature a hedgelayer in barbour, hiviz and ear defenders, with his mucky green SUV and flailer in one corner.

I was at the gym last night. I need to take exercise at a specific rate at the moment.
On one of the TV screens there was a generic presenter bloke doing a walky talky piece to camera.

He was wearing a tunic length Barbour motorbike jacket of the exact type I had when I was 18. It wasn't fashionable then, leather jackets were 'Punk' and Barbours were what old men and serious bikers wore, Belstaffs were slightly more acceptable because they had patches in the right places.

Barbours seem to have made a comeback because Steve McQueen rode the 1964 ISDT in a Barbour International. Everything I've ever done seems to be coming back to haunt me in the form of a moody black and white movie, with people looking off meaningfully into the distance.

I've never played Golf though, and Hoggs are the favoured brand of waterproof for those who work outside, Barbours stiffen up in the cold and restrict movement.

http://www.barbour.com/feature/75-years-international
I'd forgotten Barbour used to do motorbike stuff. By the time I got into motorcycling, they had already gained their present country-tweedy image.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #78 on: 28 November, 2012, 02:19:49 pm »
Those who scoff at golf have almost certainly never tried it and if they have gave it up because it was too difficult.
Hear hear.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #79 on: 28 November, 2012, 02:28:06 pm »

http://www.barbour.com/feature/75-years-international
I'd forgotten Barbour used to do motorbike stuff. By the time I got into motorcycling, they had already gained their present country-tweedy image.
[/quote]

There's a retro-bike scene.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/03/26/mcdeeb-royal-enfield-specials-six-days-thruxton-clubman-brand-new-classics-from-italy/
That is part of what's causing the demand. But that type of tunic with a buckled collar and patch pockets has been fashionable for a while now, it's displaced the fleece, which is seen as mumsy.They were originally called 'thornproofs', which is why trials riders wore them, as other waterproof materials snag or tear on branches.

« Reply #80 on: 28 November, 2012, 03:38:18 pm »
I usually chip in when golf gets a bashing on YACF so here goes.

Being an occasional golfer, I can attest that, certainly for amateurs carrying their own clubs, lugging a full set around a long & hilly course is far from sedentary.  Then there is the psychological stress of screwing up repeatedly, unlike cycling which is a generally therapeutic activity, albeit with a certain amount of anxiety to be had on really testing rides.  Also, golf balls don't generally travel 300 yards on their own without a fair amount of persuasion.

I've often thought that long audax rides are a rarified form of self abuse but nothing even approaches the inner turmoil and self-loathing incurred by slicing a ball into the trees or taking three out of a steep-sided bunker.

Those who scoff at golf have almost certainly never tried it and if they have gave it up because it was too difficult.  Often when cycling past a golf course with friends I will say "Now that's a hard sport .... only partly joking"!

I like to play golf too. I wouldn't say it's a physically demanding "sport" (I don't actually care whether it's defined as one or not) but it's one I enjoy and have done for many years.

Many people here have a very skewed view - or choose to take a stereotypical view of golf and the people who play it. Most people who play golf are just ordinary people who happen to like the game of golf. Despite what people think, you do not have to be wealthy to play golf. Even in the south east of England. You get pricks on bikes and you get pricks with golf clubs.

I guess golf takes a bashing here because a very high proportion of YACFers are self righteous, sanctimonious, cosy little middle class Guardian readers who like to patronise and belittle anyone who doesn't hold the same opinions as theirs.

Cunts in other words.

:P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 28 November, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »
I think it's simpler than that.

Golf gets a bashing because a substantial number of posters actually like rugball.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #82 on: 28 November, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »
Clearly there is a bit of class war going on here. I bet there's a large intersection in the Venn diagram showing:
a) posters labelling golfists as range rover driving upper-middle class twats, and
b) posters who think f**-h***ing is evil because of the pink jackets.

but anyway:

I like to play golf too. I wouldn't say it's a physically demanding "sport" (I don't actually care whether it's defined as one or not) but it's one I enjoy and have done for many years.

just to be clear: I'm happy for people to enjoy their golf, and treat it as a nice walk, competitive sport or a hangover cure with their drinking mates. Whatever takes your fancy, whatever class/creed/colour you might be.

But I still think it isn't a proper sport.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #83 on: 28 November, 2012, 05:46:52 pm »
Just to be clear: I didn't post this poll to have a pop at those who play golf. I have no interest in the game myself but I believe in freedom of expression and all that. Clearly there is a demand for vast areas of open space to be devoted to the pastime. Whether this space should be used to the greater benefit of society as a whole is a matter of some debate.

I just don't think it's a real sport, even when played competitively. I think the handicap system has considerable merit though.
Pen Pusher

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #84 on: 28 November, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »
Clearly there is a bit of class war going on here. I bet there's a large intersection in the Venn diagram showing:
a) posters labelling golfists as range rover driving upper-middle class twats, and
b) posters who think f**-h***ing is evil because of the pink jackets.
I always wear a pink jacket when I hit golf balls through the windscreens of range rovers. I save my red trousers for when I've got audaxers at the end of my shot gun.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #85 on: 28 November, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »
Just to be clear: I didn't post this poll to have a pop at those who play golf.

I'm sure you didn't, but I just wonder why you even posted it at all? Whether golf is a sport or indeed other "sports" are ermm... "sports" has been discussed many, many times before.

We had it in the 2008 SPOTY thread. Then again in the 2009 SPOTY thread. Once again in the 2010 SPOTY thread. Yet again in the 2011 SPOTY thread. More "Not a sport!" action in various Olympic threads. And now it's that time of year again, we have the 2012 edition of what constitutes a sport and what doesn't with golf being the main sport (or non-sport) in question.

Have we really run out of things to discuss?!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #86 on: 28 November, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »

It's an on-line forum :). Thread recycling is nothing new, neither does it necessarily do any harm.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #87 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:07:48 pm »
Fair one. I suppose there are plenty of other things done to death  :P

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #88 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:22:49 pm »
Should one wear a helmet when playing golf?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Golf: sport or not
« Reply #89 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:25:21 pm »
It should be compulsory. You only have yourself to blame if a golf cart knocks you over and you expire.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #90 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:26:01 pm »

Thinking about it, I'm slightly surprised the helmet mfrs havn't started mining this vein.

Protect you against rogue balls.
Could call it a FORE!peak or similar.

Garmin do golf-specific GPS devices.
WTF?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #91 on: 28 November, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »
From wiki:
Shimano, Inc. (TYO: 7309) is a Japanese multinational manufacturer of cycling components, fishing tackle, and rowing equipment. It produced golf supplies until 2005
Why did they stop? Must have been to concentrate on fishing tackle.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #92 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:14:05 pm »

I got hit in the head by a golf ball once.  If my little brother had been made to wear a helmet, he might have thought twice about throwing golf balls at people.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #93 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:15:37 pm »
Oh well, back to whether bobb has cool hair.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #94 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »
He does. His cat's hair is cooler though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #95 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »
bobb has a cat?  I imagine an enormous Essex tom with one ear missing, that drinks Special Brew and sprays parked BMWs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #96 on: 28 November, 2012, 10:19:50 pm »
To be absolutely fair, I suppose golf has an objective scoring system.  You either get the ball in the hole or you don't.

It's the ones which need judges to score which I really object to.
Getting there...

« Reply #97 on: 28 November, 2012, 10:28:47 pm »

I've had a golf ball driven straight into my back before. It didn't really hurt much tbh.

I've been hit on the head by cricket balls quite a few times and I once drove a juicy half volley right into the bowler's forehead. He dropped so fast I thought for a moment that I'd killed a man! He was OK though. H*lmets are overrated...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #98 on: 28 November, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »

WTF?
oh yes, my dad's got one!
It's apparently got a map of every course in europe on it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #99 on: 28 November, 2012, 10:36:30 pm »

WTF?
oh yes, my dad's got one!
It's apparently got a map of every course in europe on it.

But WHY?

It's not like you travel any great distance.
It's not like you're going to get lost.
It's not a race, so speed around the course is not an issue.

What's the POINT of it?

Does it have built-in POIs of the local dogging sites or something?