Poll

Is golf a sport?

Yes
27 (33.8%)
No
53 (66.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Golf: sport or not  (Read 20016 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Golf: sport or not
« Reply #25 on: 26 November, 2012, 11:02:53 pm »
Madonna is a chicken?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #26 on: 27 November, 2012, 09:42:04 am »
If only doing something every so often invalidates it, then what about cycling - only pushing the pedals 90 times a minute? What are you doing the rest of the time you lazy so and so?

I've always felt that golf is a sport but cricket isn't, possibly irrational you might think but how can something that takes days to play and where they're just standing around doing naff all most of the time be a sport? They don't even 'run' to score runs, most of the time I would describe it as an 'amble'.

Golf is fairly unique however in being one of the few non-adversarial 'sports'. Even cycling racing is adversarial to a degree. Time trialling, however, obviously isn't.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #27 on: 27 November, 2012, 09:52:58 am »
If only doing something every so often invalidates it, then what about cycling - only pushing the pedals 90 times a minute? What are you doing the rest of the time you lazy so and so?

I've always felt that golf is a sport but cricket isn't, possibly irrational you might think but how can something that takes days to play and where they're just standing around doing naff all most of the time be a sport? They don't even 'run' to score runs, most of the time I would describe it as an 'amble'.

Golf is fairly unique however in being one of the few non-adversarial 'sports'. Even cycling racing is adversarial to a degree. Time trialling, however, obviously isn't.

What about walking to the next hole? More time as a % spent doing this than, say, freewheeling in cycling.
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #28 on: 27 November, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
Golf, snooker, darts and bowls are games, not sports. Motor-racing is a pastime.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure I agree about motor-racing, but that's for another topic of discussion.

Just because something is competitive doesn't make it a sport, IMO. Chess is competitive and at the higher levels probably burns more calories per match than a round of golf.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #29 on: 27 November, 2012, 09:59:17 am »
sport involves:

Physical skill

Tests strength/coordination/endurance/speed

Competition with a measurable outcome

therefore I say golf is a sport.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #30 on: 27 November, 2012, 10:42:13 am »
Golf, snooker, darts and bowls are games, not sports. Motor-racing is a pastime.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure I agree about motor-racing, but that's for another topic of discussion.

Just because something is competitive doesn't make it a sport, IMO. Chess is competitive and at the higher levels probably burns more calories per match than a round of golf.

Agree with all but the motor-racing comment. Having done it, I can confirm that it requires a lot of exertion and results are definitely proportional to fitness, all else being equal.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #31 on: 27 November, 2012, 11:48:08 am »
Once upon a time while bored at a train station, me and my friend moved all the golf magazines out of the sports rack in WH Smith.  ::-)

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #32 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »
What I don't get about golf is that in sports, generally as you get better the game gets longer, as the rallies etc carry on longer. Whereas in golf as you get better you end up hitting the ball fewer times. I'd feel cheated out of my money's worth.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »
Golf is one of the very few sports where there is a workable handicap system that allows the very best to play against the ordinary on level terms.

It is truly universal, apart from the the SE of the country where it has been taken over by status conscious monied oafs. Much like the roads in the SE.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #34 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:04:52 pm »
Golf has the potential to be a sport if it became more like Biathlon. It could be timed, with points awarded for less strikes of the ball. No caddies and the golfist has to carry all their own clubs, courses could be made longer and hillier. Brand it 'Ironman'.
Golf could be the new cycling. Make it like a sportive and charge £50 a round.

that would be a discounted price then ESL.
Golf is no way a sport the hardest bit is done by the blokes who pull the baggage round with all the sticks in
at the golf clubs near me the fat unfit people have motorised baggage or the really unfit ones have little buggies to drive around in, it would be a bit like doing PBP in a car with the bike on a rack

Euan Uzami

« Reply #35 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:05:24 pm »

What about walking to the next hole? More time as a % spent doing this than, say, freewheeling in cycling.

Yeah, so it's a linear scale, not a binary distinction. Where do you draw the line as to what percentage of the time you have to be doing something...

While we're at it, motor racing, indeed! How is that a sport any more than horse riding (for the rider).
The power comes from the engine, and the horse's legs, respectively - not the driver/rider.
I think the idea that motor racing requires fitness probably stems from the fact that when they take their helmet off they are sweaty, so people assume it must involve physical exertion, but they're not sweaty because they've been exercising they're sweaty because they've been cooped up in a hot cabin for ages.

Come to think of it, why are 'sports cars' so called? The drivers are probably less likely to be involved in sport than those of cars with sensible boot space.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:07:02 pm »
Living on the Surrey edge of Lahndan, our exit from the capital is tempered by our entry into the Golfcourse belt, home to the worst, most incredibly selfish and dangerous driving you could ever fear to meet.
Getting there...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #37 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:09:37 pm »
Golf is one of the very few sports where there is a workable handicap system that allows the very best to play against the ordinary on level terms.

It is truly universal, apart from the the SE of the country where it has been taken over by status conscious monied oafs. Much like the roads in the SE.
That's no reflection on how good golf is, it's just because someone's bothered to invent one.
If I had a 10 miles race against Wiggins but had a 9 mile headstart, I'd probably win  :thumbsup: There you go, cycling's got one as well.  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »
While we're at it, motor racing, indeed! How is that a sport any more than horse riding (for the rider).
The power comes from the engine, and the horse's legs, respectively - not the driver/rider.
I think the idea that motor racing requires fitness probably stems from the fact that when they take their helmet off they are sweaty, so people assume it must involve physical exertion, but they're not sweaty because they've been exercising they're sweaty because they've been cooped up in a hot cabin for ages.

I don't know about anyone else, but I assume there's physical exertion required to brace one's muscles against various forces (which can be pretty extreme in motor racing) while accurately operating controls, looking around while wearing a heavy vision-restricting helmet and so on.  And indeed shifting bodyweight around on horses and motorcycles.  I'll accept that's not the same sort of cardiovascular fitness involved in cycling or running, but it seems silly to think there isn't fitness involved.

And there's more than just the driver in a motor racing team.  How fast can you change a wheel?  I'd say an F1 pit crew were athletes just as much as say a shot-put or javelin thrower were.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »

I've just looked that up on googlepedia, having wondered what it actually was for several yonks.  That's actually pretty cool.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #40 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »
Agree with all but the motor-racing comment. Having done it, I can confirm that it requires a lot of exertion and results are definitely proportional to fitness, all else being equal.
Motor racing only gets to be a sport if you do it in a Flintstones car and have to make the car go by your own effort.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »
And a lot of F1 drivers are keen cyclists, so we can let them off.

On the subject of effective handicap systems, the most sophisticated I know of are in Chess, Backgammon, Go and Dominoes.  I'm not proposing any of those for sport status, although anyone who has watched the last being played in a Caribbean Club  will realise there is a great physical element to it.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:17:12 pm »
Motor racing only gets to be a sport if you do it in a Flintstones car and have to make the car go by your own effort.

Gets my vote.
Getting there...

« Reply #43 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »

talking from experience competing on horses is very strenuous, just having a plod round the lanes however is completely different.
riding horses can make you sweat & muscles ache from the exertion of controlling that power, especially when jumping 18 or 20 4' fences over 4 or 5 Km in a competition     

Euan Uzami

« Reply #44 on: 27 November, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but I assume there's physical exertion required to brace one's muscles against various forces (which can be pretty extreme in motor racing) while accurately operating controls, looking around while wearing a heavy vision-restricting helmet and so on.  And indeed shifting bodyweight around on horses and motorcycles.  I'll accept that's not the same sort of cardiovascular fitness involved in cycling or running, but it seems silly to think there isn't fitness involved.

And there's more than just the driver in a motor racing team.  How fast can you change a wheel?  I'd say an F1 pit crew were athletes just as much as say a shot-put or javelin thrower were.

Hmm, but that's more strength, than fitness, per se, I accept there's some element of muscle usage involved, strength even, but then again there's strength in putting up shelves.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 27 November, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »
I don't care whether golf is a sport or not.

I just think that using all that lovely, well cared for and often urban land for such a boring, pointless, activity - accessible only by those who are able and prepared to chunk out large gobs of cash for the privilege - is a crock of shit.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #46 on: 27 November, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »
Yes.  The side-effects of golf are even worse when chunks of pristine land are gobbled up (e.g. Trump, passim), or people's water supplies intercepted to irrigate (usually relatively) {EDIT:  insert "rich"} people's play (e.g. abroad mainly).

I do think the world has enough golf courses.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #47 on: 27 November, 2012, 01:41:18 pm »

I just think that using all that lovely, well cared for and often urban land for such a boring, pointless, activity - accessible only by those who are able and prepared to chunk out large gobs of cash for the privilege - is a crock of shit.

/thread 8)
Pen Pusher

Euan Uzami

« Reply #48 on: 27 November, 2012, 01:44:34 pm »

I just think that using all that lovely, well cared for and often urban land for such a boring, pointless, activity - accessible only by those who are able and prepared to chunk out large gobs of cash for the privilege - is a crock of sh1t.

I feel the same about farms.

What would you rather use the land for?
(not that I disagree)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: 27 November, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »
I feel the same about farms.

I don't understand.  What's bad about farms?

What would you rather use the land for?

Round here - affordable housing for key workers would be a step in the right direction.  Maybe a couple of school playing fields, some more allotments and a new library.  Hell, we've got three golf courses within a ten minute walk of our front door here in UB6.  Nobody needs that many opportunities to hit their little dimpled balls with expensive sticks. 

You could have everything I've suggested and more - and still let the badly-dressed plutocrats hang on to nine holes worth on the condition that they let the kids play on them during the week...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk