Author Topic: To go tubeless or stay tubed.  (Read 27220 times)

Re: To go tubeless or stay tubed.
« Reply #275 on: 09 October, 2021, 06:11:55 pm »
Fixing punctures is as simple as it was when we were all kids. In fact if tubeless it can be simpler if you can find the puncture and plug it. No need to remove wheel from bike.

Which is actuallly a very good point on a recumbent, which tend to become unwieldy lumps when stationary. 

Is there an easy way to tell if a set of rims are tubeless compatible?
Tubeless ready have the extra micro ridges in the bed of the rim that retain the bead once it has been popped into place, and help stop the tyre bead dislodging during minor deflations. The general profile may help with getting the tyre to form an initial seal - this bit is highly debateable!
These ridges are not the best friends of traditional (bulky) cloth rim tapes on non tubeless builds! Mainly a problem on assymetric rims, but some tyres could be a real problem.
Ghetto tubeless is another option for tubeless set ups on non tubeless rims, but does lack the bead retention feature during a deflation.
Thin polyester rim tapes tend to be used for full tubeless set up (best to seat the rim tape using a tube to pressure cure the low tack adhesive before injecting the sealant though, and a temperature cycle also helps in my experience - solar or 50yr old oil boiler shed powered depending on season).

I’ve done ghetto tubeless. I would avoid using non-tubeless rims because of the risk of not having suitable bead retention. The other way around I wouldn’t do it with a tyre that needs more than about 50psi - probably 32 or even 35mm. I have had a 32mm tyre leave a rim under pressure - fortunately before sealant as I was in the kitchen - and it’s pretty scary. The tyre was a Vittoria Hyper at 80psi and the beads were probably still wet from mounting. However, a salutary lesson!

Mike

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #276 on: 09 October, 2021, 07:51:53 pm »
The wheels I'm thinking about are Exal LX 17, I think. Exal's website is auf deutsch, with no apparent way to select language
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #277 on: 09 October, 2021, 07:53:18 pm »
Not tubeless compatible.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...