Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 85919 times)

Chris S

Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #150 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:09:37 pm »
Makes sense, reading aloud is boring and tedious and generally gets between you and a good book.

I think it was just too slow. The rate at which she could read alone was scary.

« Reply #151 on: 16 March, 2021, 01:13:58 pm »

Kids are so brilliant!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #152 on: 16 March, 2021, 02:32:40 pm »
He more cleverly what I said elsewhere (his recent book The Art of Statistics is very good and, fortunately for me, mostly free of maths).

The human brain is an amazing thing. You missed a word out there - but it doesn't matter because my brain just inserts it automagically when I read it.

I do that all the time, thinking I've typed something, but my brain has moved on. It's my bane. I also mentally fill in the missing word when I read it. The only way I can get around it is to have my computer read things back to me, whereupon the omission becomes obvious.

« Reply #153 on: 16 March, 2021, 04:34:57 pm »
Very good.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #154 on: 18 March, 2021, 01:49:29 pm »
Joined the Astra Zeneca one jab club

« Reply #155 on: 18 March, 2021, 02:08:00 pm »
He more cleverly what I said elsewhere (his recent book The Art of Statistics is very good and, fortunately for me, mostly free of maths).

The human brain is an amazing thing. You missed a word out there - but it doesn't matter because my brain just inserts it automagically when I read it.
Me too.

I have to switch into a different mode when proofreading.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #156 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:08:22 am »
No side effects from AZ vaccine so far other than raised resting HR this morning. I’ve had much higher resting HR, morning after audaxes. Time for a leg stretch in the sun.

« Reply #157 on: 19 March, 2021, 11:52:48 am »
I have to switch into a different mode when proofreading.

When writing stuff that really matters I always print it out to proof read. Somehow that makes me see it differently, and some errors become obvious.

Printing almost as good as pressing send on a text message for finding errors - I'l read it, check it, looks OK, and the instant I press send I'll see the glaring autocorrect error.

ian

« Reply #158 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:53:42 pm »
I get the nice lady inside my computer to read it out (which is also good, because if you can't follow a sentence when read, it's probably not a sentence you should have written).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #159 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:57:37 pm »
How does the nice lady know where to place emphasis?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #160 on: 19 March, 2021, 07:39:16 pm »
Dunno, but she's really smart and is called Serena (I think my work computer is Kate). I did dabble with Victoria for a while, but she's a bit stern and makes every sentence sound like she's passing judgement. Really, this is what you are going with? Don't quit the day job.

« Reply #161 on: 19 March, 2021, 11:48:44 pm »
Dunno, but she's really smart and is called Serena (I think my work computer is Kate). I did dabble with Victoria for a while, but she's a bit stern and makes every sentence sound like she's passing judgement. Really, this is what you are going with? Don't quit the day job.

Isn't that along the lines of the nice lady inside your satnav being called Sonja, because she get sonja nerves?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #162 on: 20 March, 2021, 01:26:30 am »

Isn't that along the lines of the nice lady inside your satnav being called Sonja, because she get sonja nerves?

Wasn't that quip made about the announcer on the Jubilee Line, some while back?

« Reply #163 on: 20 March, 2021, 01:42:26 am »

Wasn't that quip made about the announcer on the Jubilee Line, some while back?

Quite possibly.

It bears repeating though.

« Reply #164 on: 20 March, 2021, 03:11:37 pm »
My sat nav in car is called Thelma. As it is a Scooby Doo, so sat nav named after another character.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #165 on: 21 March, 2021, 11:55:34 am »
Not a direct experience of 'teh Plague', but definitely a symptom. I was scheduled for a routine AAA scan on Saturday. It was to be in Colchester, at a facility I've never heard of. Time came to leave, and I found myself unable to get in the car and go. I haven't been to pretty much anywhere except my local Co-op in a year. I had no warning of anxiety whatsoever; I just couldn't bring myself to go.

If I can get a replacement appointment, I'm going to have to sit myself down and give myself a serious talking-to.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #166 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:29:53 pm »
had my first jab yesterday, no initial side effects, but after nine hours body temperature rose and body started to ache. no temperature today, only the jabbed arm is sore. not the thing i wanted to do, but i hope it will make traveling easier in the near future.

« Reply #167 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:56:47 pm »
I was jabbed weds night. Sweat in night, muscle aches next day. Rode on Friday no problem felt fine. Did 65 miles yesterday and felt sick after 50. Still feel fucked today.

Obviously rather have this than actual covid.

« Reply #168 on: 21 March, 2021, 01:59:12 pm »
I was jabbed weds night. Sweat in night, muscle aches next day. Rode on Friday no problem felt fine. Did 65 Mike's yesterday and felt sick after 50. Still feel fucked today.

Did the Mikes mind?

« Reply #169 on: 21 March, 2021, 02:00:32 pm »
bloody phone

« Reply #170 on: 21 March, 2021, 02:07:28 pm »
First jabs on Monday for me and the current Mrs socks.  Combined with the longest trip that the campervan has done this year, 30 miles each way to the vaccination centre at Darlington arena.  Well organised with a mixture of NHS, Army, Fire & Rescue, and volunteers.  No £6,000 a day consultants in sight.

No significant after effects for either of us, slightly sore arm and feeling a bit tired the next day.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #171 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:19:00 pm »
I was jabbed weds night. Sweat in night, muscle aches next day. Rode on Friday no problem felt fine. Did 65 miles yesterday and felt sick after 50. Still feel fucked today.

Similar symptoms for me (minus the desire to ride 65 miles) after my jab yesterday. Totally wiped, achey and sweaty and living for the next paracetamol dose. And some very strange delirium/dreams last night. But weirdly elated that my body's immune system is probably doing what it's supposed to.

« Reply #172 on: 21 March, 2021, 04:43:25 pm »
My sat nav in car is called Thelma.
Currently have Kathy Clugston as my sat nav voice, but would equally settle for Caroline Wyatt
or any of the other female continuity announcers on BBC radio 4/world service.

« Reply #173 on: 23 March, 2021, 08:27:04 pm »
So, my GP still has not offered me a jab directly but apparently the local council "working with the gp's in the town" has put out messages all over social meeja announcing three days of walk up for the local over 50's and others who might have been invited but cannot take advantage to date.

Doors open at 8:00 in the morning so I plan to be there early.

« Reply #174 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:18:30 am »
I’m aware of several examples now through personal contacts of people who were quite unwell with COVID (to the extent of needing hospital treatment) having an almost equally adverse reaction to the vaccine. The variable severity of a persons reaction to the disease is well documented, I’m just wondering if it’s an indicator to the likely response to the vaccine. Any thoughts from the medics on here?

A