Author Topic: Selle SMP - what's 'level' ?  (Read 783 times)

Selle SMP - what's 'level' ?
« on: 10 July, 2021, 11:50:54 am »
We have a Selle SMP saddle to try out.

How should it be set up?  Nose up and back of the saddle level, or another way ?
Rust never sleeps

Re: Selle SMP - what's 'level' ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2021, 11:55:09 am »
Something in the region of fitting it such that a spirit level is level when sitting on the high point of the back and on a 10mm Allen key across the top of the high point at the front. That's a starting point. Definitely not 'nose up' though!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2021, 12:00:08 pm »
We have a Selle SMP saddle to try out.

How should it be set up?  Nose up and back of the saddle level, or another way ?

Mine looks something like this:

Get it about right, go for a ride, twiddle it a couple of degrees, rinse, repeat.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2021, 12:04:29 pm »
Thank you both. It's second on the list to try out and I'll let you know where we end up.
Rust never sleeps

WOT

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:38:49 am »
A hardback book or similar placed on the saddle makes for easy reliable method of measurement.

I started flat then 2, 4 degrees down and finished at 6 degrees down.

I imagine it varies with handlebar drop and if you have high handlebars I think a slightly nose up, 2 degrees in the opposite direction could also work for some.

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2021, 12:07:22 am »
For a saddle about 280mm long and using the Allen key & level / book method the 10mm Allen key about equals 2 degrees down so 6 degrees is a big (30mm) rear to nose drop. My SMPs seem best about 5mm / 1 degree down , have given me my best times but aren't comfy beyond 150kms, my bars are about level with seat. SMP recommend between 2 degrees (10mm) up to 5 degrees (25mm) down and Steve Hogg 0 - 5 degrees down , both somewhat proportional to the seat to bar drop

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/