Author Topic: LFT's for other bugs  (Read 3192 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
LFT's for other bugs
« on: 26 September, 2021, 10:36:11 pm »

LFT's for the current plague are pretty much ubiquitous now. Which got me thinking, do they exist for other common illnesses. Like flu ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: LFT's for other bugs
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2021, 11:15:16 pm »
I believe the lateral flow principle forms the basis of all sorts of laboratory assays, including identifying diseases. Often these use low levels of fluorescence and electronic sensors, rather than something that can be seen by the naked eye.

The one we're most familiar with is the hCG pregnancy test...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2021, 11:16:43 pm »
I believe the lateral flow principle forms the basis of all sorts of laboratory assays, including identifying diseases. Often these use low levels of fluorescence and electronic sensors, rather than something that can be seen by the naked eye.

That's a parasite... not an infection :p

J
--

ian

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2021, 09:58:43 am »
Yes, they are. Techniques like Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assays (ELISA) are very common, the LFT is just a 'consumer' variant that can be read by eye. They're used for all kinds of things (from drugs test, environmental pollutants to Ebola). They've traditionally not been used so much in clinical contexts though, mostly due to the regulatory burden of debuting a clinical test (it's cheaper and easier to do it in a lab).

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2021, 10:54:50 am »

LFT's for the current plague are pretty much ubiquitous now. Which got me thinking, do they exist for other common illnesses. Like flu ?

J

There are a range of LFTs out there.  As Kim says, the most ubiquitous one is the pregnancy test (developed by Paul Davis in the 1980s).   

Paul Davis co-founded Mologic in the early 2000s.  Mologic has developed a range of LFTs, including for monitoring HIV.  It's focus is on developing countries and it has recently been taken over by George Soros' Economic Development Fund and the Gates Foundation (cue all sorts of right wing conspiracy theories).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2021, 11:04:23 am »
They've come into their own in places where clinical labs are uncommon or nonexistent (hence the use for diagnosing Ebola and HIV in Africa).

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2021, 05:12:00 pm »
When I were in a lab we used them for malaria, RSV and c-diff

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2023, 11:16:33 pm »

https://www.alcoline.nl/product/fluorecare-sars-cov-2-influenza-a-b-en-rsv-antigen-combo-test-kits-1-test-kit/

Page is In Dutch, but Google translate work quite well

LFT for COVID, Flu A, Flu B, and RSV.

Am pondering getting a couple for stock for next time I'm not feeling great.

J
--

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:46:31 pm »
https://www.alcoline.nl/product/fluorecare-sars-cov-2-influenza-a-b-en-rsv-antigen-combo-test-kits-1-test-kit/
Page is In Dutch, but Google translate work quite well
LFT for COVID, Flu A, Flu B, and RSV.
Am pondering getting a couple for stock for next time I'm not feeling great.
J

I'd be tempted if I were prone to Lurgies and mixing with the General Public.

As I'm mostly a Masked Hermit, I won't bother.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2023, 12:46:43 pm »
I could see those being useful for some at-risk people or care home staff, but no one will use them cos they don't have sick leave or suitable staff cover, so instead just put care home residents/disabled people at risk instead....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2023, 05:05:13 pm »
I could see those being useful for some at-risk people or care home staff, but no one will use them cos they don't have sick leave or suitable staff cover, so instead just put care home residents/disabled people at risk instead....

Wouldn't it be great to screen healthcare staff weekly & pay them adequately to stay home if positive?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2023, 07:23:06 pm »
Yes, but that would require changing the presenteeism culture of 'work no matter how sick you are' and indeed could cause issues where if you are sick but not screening positive for one of these, then you're not really sick.

« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2023, 07:40:39 pm »

That's a parasite... not an infection :p

J

;D ;D ;D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.